Monogram, 1/48, B-17G

...and I see that 85-5928 from Promodeller aswell as 85-5614 (clear edition) for certain do. Both currently available on Ebay. Instructions should largely be same as 85-5600

4 hours ago, Niels said:

...and I see that 85-5928 from Promodeller aswell as 85-5614 (clear edition) for certain do. Both currently available on Ebay. Instructions should largely be same as 85-5600

I have several boxings of this kit and I'm pretty sure the two you listed are the only ones with aircraft crew...pilot,  gunners, nav, etc. I just looked at 5600 and it does not have them.

How is the kit? Any one can share pics of the plastic. Being wanting to pick one up but worried cos of the age of the mold. If its the same quality as their F-105 or A-1 then I'll get one!

Thanks in advance!

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎12 at 3:22 AM, torchf4 said:

How is the kit? Any one can share pics of the plastic. Being wanting to pick one up but worried cos of the age of the mold. If its the same quality as their F-105 or A-1 then I'll get one!

Thanks in advance!

Age of the moulds is nothing to worry about: Older releases looked crisper because of the silver plastic vs gray or otherwise flatter colors: There is no difference in reality. Don't be swayed by anyone who claims otherwise.... Most accurate kit of the 70s bar none. Even the wrong-looking symmetrical wing airfoil is dead-on... Do use Squadron clear part and all the AM you can.   R.

• 5 weeks later...

With the exception of the Revell 1/48th B-17F, why is it none of the kit manufactures can seem to get the top shape turret right?  I seem to recall reading a review of the Monogram "G" a long while back that said the shape (or was it the panel lines) of the top turret match none that was ever used on a 'Fort.  Even the one on the HK kits looks off, in that it looks too narrow, and the ones on the new 1/72nd Revell and Airfix kits seem odd.  I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the pics I've seen of completed kits that makes them look off, and I won't mention that the mg barrels on some of the kits look to long and skinny!

• 2 weeks later...

This kit 5600 is not too bad of a kit since it came out in 1975. I was 14 at the time and I have built many of them. Some were done by me for a former club we had. I find this kit simple but great to build.

It is a nice kit I have built several of them and if a new kit was made of this plane it would cost a lot more than $25.00 to $40.00 that the current release of the kit costs. For example the Trumpeter C-47 which cost around $100.00 and the Revell C-47 is around $30.00 to $50.00.

I wonder if Revell has given any thought to re-tooling both their 1/48th scale B-17s, or perhaps, up scaling their 1/72nd scale kits.  If it would help keep prices down I don't think they should go hog wild on the interior like HK did, but maybe add more to the "F" and a little bit more to, or maybe leave as is, the "G".  I think they might get a fair return for their effort if they can get the kits out to coincide with the release of the mini-series based on the book Masters of the Air. 

Edited by afspret