Is there a Gunze match for the Russian Eggplant color?

as i have a su-34 to build in the future, thanks to your input, preventively i have made a morning-long research on the net.

well. there is this link that goes through all camo patterns of sukhoi family, interesting, but no reference to model colors: http://www.sukhoi.mariwoj.pl/su-30-ru-32.htm

the only paint expressly named after russian eggplant grey is the russian-made Mister Paint MRP 205 "eggplant dark gray".

as it is a new brand it is not listed in the bible of all comparison charts, "the ultimate model paint conversion chart", neither have i found any other kind of conversion from mrp and gunze acqueous (mr. hobby).

as for myself i would go for the russian product that seems to be rather dependable, and water/(lacquer?)-based too: http://www.hmhobbies.co.uk/mrp-205-eggplant-dark-grey-su-32-su-34-30ml.html

HTH...and happy modeling! bobo.

I don't know about Gunze, but if you want an acrylic lacquer match, very close to Mr Color in paint type, then AKAN 63166 is specifically matched to this colour. It is also available in AKAN's water-based acrylics as AKAN 73166. The AKAN description says: Dark Gray 'Eggplant' (2013 upper surface scheme for Su-34, Su-35S, Su-25SM, Mi-8, Mi-24, Mi-26, etc.)

From Trumpeter MiG-29K

Aqueous 30% H56 + 70% H305

Mr. Color 30% C72 + 70% C305

Haven't tried this myself, going to use MRP-205 instead.

Edited by Helmsman
  • 3 years later...

I have just mixed my own paint, as i am doing a su27 in the eggplant scheme, i used 50% german grey, 20% pure red, 20% flat blue, and 10% black.

Cane out an absolute treat really dark grey with a hint of purple. It really looks mean and menacing on a 32nd scale flanker, i know not strictly correct, but a what if scheme, as the eggplant schemes were on the SU30, SU33, SU34 and SU25's.

Edited by carlos1
On 5/6/2017 at 8:34 PM, lulldapull said:

Hi folks, just wondering if there is a match in Gunze for painting the Su-25/ 34/ 35's?

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=2885

Mr Color 393 for Eggplant color

If you live in Japan as your profile says, you might have better luck getting that Gunze Mr. color locally than Akan or MRP as people suggest.

Edited by Inquisitor
4 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=2885

Mr Color 393 for Eggplant color

If you live in Japan as your profile says, you might have better luck getting that Gunze Mr. color locally than Akan or MRP as people suggest.

I have this color, its way too blue. The real color is closer to a neutral dark gray. MRPs version is off too. Its too purple. AKAN is the closest.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

I have this color, its way too blue. The real color is closer to a neutral dark gray. MRPs version is off too. Its too purple. AKAN is the closest.

AK interactive also make that color in their Real Color line which looks to me pretty much spot on.

There was another thread where this color was discussed at length. One of the sources stated that the color is in fact RAL 7015 and that is what the Russians used, a RAL color. here's the thread...

5 hours ago, Mstor said:

AKAN looks very close to Model Master 2034 Engine Grey (FS 36076 which corresponds to RAL 7015)

24 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

AKAN looks very close to Model Master 2034 Engine Grey (FS 36076 which corresponds to RAL 7015)

Yep, one of the paint companies uses 36076 in their set for the "Eggplant" scheme. Hataka I think. Its mentioned in the thread I linked.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:36 PM, A.C.Acikgoz said:

Eggplant grey is not a special "russian" paint.. it is a simple RAL 7015 colored paint from well known industrial/automotive paint manufacturer Akzo-Nobel 🙂

Well, whoever it is who makes the paint, it sure does fade fast. Can make for some very interesting weathered paint on some models I've seen.

8 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

And I just bought MRP Eggplant and Fs36076...

-brian

The FS36076 would be the closer of the two. MRP's Eggplant does look pretty cool though completely inaccurate.

On 7/15/2020 at 6:16 PM, Mstor said:

This is indeed very true. 

I built the KH Su-35 using the MRP Eggplant, and immediately as I started to spray it thought "UH OH!" in my mind as it was obviously way too purple.  I went ahead and continued spraying it over the whole model and then misted a dark gray (I can't remember which one) over the entire model and that toned the purple down enough that I was happy with the color, although it might still be slightly too purple.

8 hours ago, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

This is indeed very true. 

I built the KH Su-35 using the MRP Eggplant, and immediately as I started to spray it thought "UH OH!" in my mind as it was obviously way too purple.  I went ahead and continued spraying it over the whole model and then misted a dark gray (I can't remember which one) over the entire model and that toned the purple down enough that I was happy with the color, although it might still be slightly too purple.

But come on, you've got to admit it. A dark purple Su-34 does look pretty cool :whistle:

OK, back to my corner.

:thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

Looks like the “Eggplant” color has been applied to the F-35!🤩

X9rovW1.jpg

Gofbdwk.jpg

F-35 is FS 36170 which is quite a bit lighter than FS 36076. Just an artifact of the photo that is making it look darker.

True but FS 36076 weathers rapidly, like FS 36118.  RAL 7015/FS 36076 may be the starting shade but it seems to weather to the purple hue after time.  I have seen FS 36118 weather to a Gull Gray on jets in for PDM.  Just have to look at the photo and period in time it is being modeled.

John

13 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

True but FS 36076 weathers rapidly, like FS 36118.  RAL 7015/FS 36076 may be the starting shade but it seems to weather to the purple hue after time.  I have seen FS 36118 weather to a Gull Gray on jets in for PDM.  Just have to look at the photo and period in time it is being modeled.

John

Well, yes, the paint that Russia uses for RAL 7015 weathers/fades rapidly. At that point, you can open up the palette to all sorts of colors, but the photos I've seen of very weathered and faded Su-34s show just a straight faded version of 7015, no real hue shift.