Hey folks, 

I'm getting back into the hobby and I'm looking at building a F-15 outta Iceland in 1/48 scale.  I have the decals for them, just not sure which kits would build out best given the CFTs.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

10 hours ago, Nite92 said:

Hey folks, 

I'm getting back into the hobby and I'm looking at building a F-15 outta Iceland in 1/48 scale.  I have the decals for them, just not sure which kits would build out best given the CFTs.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Approximately what time are you wanting to portray?

80's in the Compass Ghost scheme or ModEagle?

2 hours ago, admiralcag said:

I am working on a build like this also. Someone told me the best CFTs to use are on the Hasegawa Strike Eagle. Those are good because they have the AIM-7 sway braces.

That's good to know.  So what base kit are you thinking of using?  I would think another Hasegawa C would work, but would an Academy or GWH work too?

2 hours ago, adamitri said:

Thay all will work. I built my Elmo bird with the hasegawa kit with the CFT's from hasegawa "E" kit. 

Thank you.  This helps quite a bit.

9 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

I personally would go with the Hasegawa basic C kit (as it's an early C where as the GWH kit is a late C) with the CFT's from the Hasegawa F-15E kit. 

What's the difference between the early and late C models?

IIRC,  the Hasegawa F-15C kits have turkey feathers. What are you going to use for the "featherless" burner cans? I have the Academy, Hasegawa, and GWH F-15C kits, and none really do a good job in this area. Perhaps aftermarket is what I will have to do.

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

What does DACO suggest using on their decal instruction sheet?  Usually decal manufacturers list a kit that they patterned the decals to fit.

Good question.  I'll have to pull them out and look them over. 

22 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

I personally would go with the Hasegawa basic C kit (as it's an early C where as the GWH kit is a late C) with the CFT's from the Hasegawa F-15E kit. 

This is what I'm starting to think as well.  If I recall the kits I gave my brother, there was an ASAT F-15C the stash.  I'll see if he has that one.  Just a matter of getting CFTs now.

13 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

What's the difference between the early and late C models?

Hasegawa has the early antenna set up, PACS IP (as opposed to the MPCD MSIP unit in the GWH F-15) and has the original F-15C ECM system antennas. 

The GWH has the full MSIP kit and is representative of F-15C's from the 2010-present timeframe. 

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

What does DACO suggest using on their decal instruction sheet?  Usually decal manufacturers list a kit that they patterned the decals to fit.

DACO will suggest using the Hasegawa kit, as the decals were designed 20+ years before the GWH kit came out.  Although for an F-15, it really doesn't matter - the only decal that comes close to being 'kit specific' will be the bands at the tips of the tail, and they're *really* unlikely to be different enough to cause a problem.

1 hour ago, Marv said:

IIRC,  the Hasegawa F-15C kits have turkey feathers. What are you going to use for the "featherless" burner cans?

Hasegawa added featherless exhausts in the mid-90's. They've been included in most releases (every version that requires them) since then.   

I'm thinking Hasegawa #07010 F-15C is your best bet for starters.  Probably find one on evilBay for ~$25.  As to the CFTs, if you purchase a Hasegawa F-15E to rob from, would you then backdate it to a F-15B?  (Which is essentially what the first releases depict.)  In which case, you could just use the F-15E to build a F-15B/D in Iceland and save all the money of purchasing two kits.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

I'm thinking Hasegawa #07010 F-15C is your best bet for starters.  Probably find one on evilBay for ~$25.  As to the CFTs, if you purchase a Hasegawa F-15E to rob from, would you then backdate it to a F-15B?  (Which is essentially what the first releases depict.)  In which case, you could just use the F-15E to build a F-15B/D in Iceland and save all the money of purchasing two kits.

The hasegawa kit is essentially a D model with CFT's , there are visable and noticeable airframe differences between the B and D as well as the E. now as for the CFT's, there is no difference between the E model and C/D model per say the stub pylon configuration for Air to Air and Air to Mud. I did up a list on the differences on all F-15's I had noticed by working on the jet for 20+ years as a Crew Chief. Just like as has been stated depending on time frame as the whole fleet did not go through MISIP all at once and parts available, there was no such thing as an early C/D and a late except for the MISIP mods. My jet st Langley did not go through MISIP till late 1990 but my jet at Kadena did not go through till 1992. My Iceland jet never went through MISIP till it was sent to Egland. They went through at different times and received the mods over a timeframe for part availability.

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

That's not a bad idea.  Only problem is the Astra decals for the 1/48 kits are all sold out.  But definitely build something else with the B/D kit. 

3 hours ago, Nite92 said:

That's not a bad idea.  Only problem is the Astra decals for the 1/48 kits are all sold out.  But definitely build something else with the B/D kit. 

You can make a D model family truckster but not a B with somemodifications. The hardest would be the aft fairing on the speed brake.

Wasn't the Asat assigned to the 318th F.I.S.?  Being an interceptor squadron assigned to ADTAC that would make it a "A" model.  When the tactical squadrons picked up the "C"s they would sometimes have their  "A"s go to the ADTAC squadrons who were dropping their F-106s, while other aircraft went to destinations unknown.

I know my A model at Langley in the 27th 76-0057 went to the dragons in 83, I transferred her out and was given a 318th unsubdued patch and certificate. At the same time I accepted 82-0019 as my new jet with the new smell cockpit with 12.7 hours onher. Our and Englands A models went to 318th and 48th FIS. The A models also were sent to Tyndal 1stFIS to replace their F-106s in 85. 

Yes the ASAT was assigned to the 318th but that's history....

Edited by Ol Crew Dog