I was in the 5th just before we transitioned into the f-15.  We didn't get any CFTs with our ships that I know of.  One good thing was that I had the privilege of working on the new tail and pilot/crew chief markings for our new aircraft.  I went through a few of the Monogram F-15 kits wearing different variations of markings until the decision was made for the final look.  At one point the commander, Ltc Coe took me around to parts of the squadron I hadn't seen before, showing me the progress on the design painting.  He even showed me a bunker that held our supply of F-106 guns.  There were enough to supply all our 106s and still have spares for them all.

We shipped them out, they were sent to Iceland to extend their intercept range and Elmendorf for their Alert. I don't remember exact dates but they were in the tank farm and they slowly disapeared. I was in AGS Supervisiin and thinking thank you lord they are gone. Might have been later? They didn't transfer I with you F-15s, they came later.

Edited by Ol Crew Dog
15 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Ol Crew Dog, thanks for keeping me honest. Would you send me a link for your F-15 model comparison please?

R/ Dutch

I have searched here and only found the C/D to E, just do a search for that one, the A to C I can repost if needed?

18 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

I know my A model at Langley in the 27th 76-0057 went to the dragons in 83, I transferred her out and was given a 318th unsubdued patch and certificate. At the same time I accepted 82-0019 as my new jet with the new smell cockpit with 12.7 hours onher. Our and Englands A models went to 318th and 48th FIS. The A models also were sent to Tyndal 1stFIS to replace their F-106s in 85. 

Yes the ASAT was assigned to the 318th but that's history....

Was ASAT ever operational? I thought the program was shut down shortly after the one and only satellite kill.

1 hour ago, TBP1538 said:

Was ASAT ever operational? I thought the program was shut down shortly after the one and only satellite kill.

Yes and No. I believe there was only one test launch against an actual satellite. Several operational airframes were modified to carry the ASM-135 but I don't know if all of the planned 20 jets got the mod. Program was cancelled more for political reasons than for operational or cost reasons, although it was a multi-billion dollar program.

I worked at LTV at the time and got to witness several guidance/seeker tests. There was no warhead per se it was all kinetic.

45 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Yes and No. I believe there was only one test launch against an actual satellite. Several operational airframes were modified to carry the ASM-135 but I don't know if all of the planned 20 jets got the mod. Program was cancelled more for political reasons than for operational or cost reasons, although it was a multi-billion dollar program.

I worked at LTV at the time and got to witness several guidance/seeker tests. There was no warhead per se it was all kinetic.

One of the people I worked with was qualified on the ASAT profile when he was in the 48th FIS; not surprisingly, it was nothing like what Clancy described in Red Storm Rising.

Regards,

Murph

On May 9, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Dutch said:

@Ol Crew Dog, thanks for keeping me honest. Would you send me a link for your F-15 model comparison please?

R/ Dutch

F-15 A/B to C/D, A type prior to MISIP and C model initial production. Nose to Tail
Early C Models and A models were almost indistinguishable. I was a Crew Chief on A models 80 – 84 in the 27th TFS, 1TFW, 76-0057 was my first hog. Got my first C model 82-0019 in 83 with 12.7 hours from Micky D’s.
1.    Majority of the cockpit remained the same with only minor instrumentation upgrades through the years.
2.    HUD and HUD combing glass went through an upgrade in 82 to accept the EagleEye scope, home made to mount to the side of the combing glass to slide a rifle scope on for visual identification.
3.    The early C models had the same cockpit configuration as the A model until after MISIP in the late 80’s.
4.    ESCAPAC seats were initially installed but changed out before 1980 on active duty aircraft with the ACESII Seat. The ACESII seat was basic with no major mods till much later in the seats career.
5.    Bay 5 was Metallic Green Color, much to the disbelief of many this was not painted white later in the A models career. This metallic green can be found in the avionics bays of all F-15’s. This Color carried on into the initial batch of C models’ my C model at Kadena 78-0479 still had a Green Bay 5.
6.    There was no set up for the ICS boxes that go in Bay5 on the C models.
7.    A models did not go through MISIP till later in their career, after the C models went through except for certain intercept squadron aircraft.
8.    Aileron actuator panels do not have the pronounced bulges as this denotes a modification of the addition of a hydraulic reducing valve which did not happen till C model production.
9.    Both LVS and RVS (left vertical stab and right vertical stab) are missing the beef up plates for the top bullets torque boxes did not come about till the late 80’s.
10.    Pnl  128 or tail hook fairing was not removed till after Desert Storm.
11.    Turkey Feathers were removed on the Nozzles starting in 79 through 82, I have the scars to prove that from snapping off the finger seals while doing my BPO.
12.    Sabre drains (sharp as hell redundant fibreglass drains) on the aft Engine Bay panels were there till after Desert Storm.
13.    JSF Exhaust still had a metal Louver, this was not moved till after Desert Storm..
14.    Wheels and Brakes were modified to the type you see today on C model production, A models had the star pattern type wheel and most did not receive the new type after going through MISIP in the 90’s.
15.    The wheel wells were that funky metallic green Color as well, I remember this because hooking up the hydraulic test stand the connections were in the main wheel wells and the hydraulic fluid caused the paint to peel around the connections getting the metallic green paint all over my gloves...
16.    No chaff and flare mods installed under the intake on A models.
17.    COMM panel on the A model was further forward on the left intake bottom and square, the C model COMM panel was rectangular and further aft, both were hinged at the front of the panel.
18.    No ICS antennae’s behind the nose gear door and in between the blade or UHF antennae’s. 
19.    The rectangular blade antennae’s on the canopy hump aft of the canopy were the only half type used till the early 90’s when these were hard to replace so a suitable sub was found which turned into the shark ant you see today.
20.    There were panel changes over the years but this would not be noticeable in smaller scales and only to someone intamite with the F-15. Any questions or you want me to elaborate anything feel free to ask.
Streak Eagle mod
Nozzles are feathered the GT resin set and kit partsare good for this.
1.    You can use the Early F-15C Aires resin tub using an Aires ESCAPAC IC-7 seat instead of the ACESII.
2.    Bay5 has the ECM boxes removed as in the A model, telemetry equipment was added including video recording equipment.
3.    The  Speedbrake fitted on the Streak was the shorter type and the fairings will need to modified to accept this.
Gun muzzle fairing needs to be faired over as the Streak Eagle had no armament, this is plate patch.
4.    Wheels are  the earlier F-15A wheels with 12 holes in the hub. Bruce has what you need http://partsrparts.homestead.com/F15parts.html
5.    There is no HUD fitted so no combining glass installed.
6.    A very long sensor probe attached to the tip of the radomes and the radome is made of Duralumimnum.
7.    Arresting hook removed and well faired over.
8.    Primary and regenerated heat exchanger exhausts and louvers 
9.    Eliminate UHF/VHF radio antenna blade on upper fuselage spine
10.    Sealed Sparrow missile attachment point, close all openings
11.    Eliminate strake over rear Sparrow missile attachment points???????
12.    No pylons on wings or fuselage
13.    Wing flaps permanently up (actuators were eliminated to save weight)
14.    All formation and navigation lights sealed on wings (including low intensity panels on wingtips)
15.    Remove the starboard side lower aft avionics heat exchanger exhaust duct and intake door
16.    Remove low intensity navigation light panels on sides of aft fuselage (framing remains)
17.    Vertical stabs with EWWS (or similar) antenna housings on both tails (pre-record attempt with tail patch marking
18.    Vertical stabs with small mass balance on both tails instead of EWWS housings
19.    Coloured navigation lights on upper trailing edge of both tails sealed
20.    Eliminate taxi and landing lights from nose gear
21.    Forward nose gear door closed while on the ground (prior to record attempts)
22.    Forward nose gear door open while on the ground (for record attempts)
23.    Forward main gear doors closed while on the ground (prior to record attempts)
24.    Forward main gear doors open while on the ground (for record attempts)
25.    Add "over the shoulder" video camera and mount next to the port side of the Ejection seat
26.    Add large white UHF blade antenna on rear canopy deck
27.    Fill Kit Chaff and Flare Dispensers
28.    Fill Holes for C/Line Pylon
29.    Access hatches on top of the engine humps and the JFS starter intake and exhaust, 2 not 4.
30.    Remove bulges on the vertical tails for the rudder actuators as they are late model configuration and too exaggerated.
31.    Remove the Stiffener panels on the horizontal stabs.
32.    Front landing gear below shock absorber need to be rounded not square.
33.    Front instrument panel displays/panels removed:- HUD Control panel
34.    - TEWs display, - Radar scope - Armament Control Panel - Standard G-Meter
35.    Port Console panels removed:
- All Navigation related panels - IFF and TEWs panels - Radar Panel
1    Starboard Console panels removed:
- All TEWS, Navigation , and Compass related panels
Points 31-33 will be virtually impossible to remove neatly, I have some good cockpit layout drawings so I know where they are, I suspect these will be best left alone.
Cheers
Dave
To learn more and get OneNote, visit www.onenote.com.

On May 9, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Dutch said:

R/ Dutch

C/D to E
I had worked on F-15A,B,C,D,E,I,J and S models as Crew Chief, Engine Mechanic and Hydraulic Mechanic,Flight Control and Crash Recovery over my 20 year career in the USAF.
I and S models as enroute maintenance as they were delivered to the customer and the J when I was on exchange with the JASDF.
I have also had the pleasure(?) of working on Su-27s, Mig-29s, F-4Fs, F-4Es, Mirage 2000, Etendards, F-1s, Tornados, Alpha Jets, etc......
I have flown C-152s, C-150s, C-172s, Piper Cherokees, T tailed Lance, Lear Jet, Martin 404s, DC-3s, King Air, Queen Air, DH-6, Dash 7.

Enough about me and on with the list.

Here is the list you requested. Some of it might be hard to fix or change, some might be nit picky, but all is helpful when discussing the differances between the differant model F-15s. Remeber the Mudhen was a completly differnat animal from the C and more so from the A, not just the seating arrangments.

1)Radome on the E does not have the Urethane boot on the tip (glossy portion
on the C model)
2)ICS Antennas from the C, in between the blade Ant and aft of nose gear
aft door on the underside of the nose replaced with flush mounted Ant.
3)HUD combining glass and fwd cockpit instrumentation and CRT differences
from C to E.
4) the E Canopy framing has ECS ducting installed due too the increased
need for more cooling air for the backseater and avionics.
5)Wing root anti-collision lights are smaller and set closer to the wing
root on the E then the C.
6)Speedbrake is beefed-u[p and has a small indentation on the aft leading
edge for a handhold for manual raising of the speedbrake, also there should
be no well for the speedbrake as on the real aircraft it lays flush on the
skin of the airframe on all F-15's.
7) Just aft of the speedbrake there are 6 screens (three par side of the
rectangular panel on the center line) this is the JFS (Jet Fuel Starter/
APU) chimney on the E, on the C there is one screen offset to the left for
the JFS chimney, the panel in the middle is for additional avionics on the
E.
8) The engine humps have additional doors to facilitate engine maintenance
on the E as the C only has one for the engine forward mount and two for the
aft mounts.
9) Rudders have an additional beef-up for the center hinge point on the E,
this was being done to the C but through attrition.
10) A logo lite was installed at the base of the Vertical stab on the E not
on the C.
11) the E model horizontal stab has a reinforcing strip ( sealant) raised
line running along the leading edge dogtooth fairing mount, C models do not
have this.
12) Stinger Ant or what we called nipples are of a different configuration
from the C model to the E, references should be checked for the specific
aircraft to be modeled.
13) All E models came from the factory with panel 128 removed, depending on
time frame the A/C models these were not removed till 1991 after a mod was
done.
Nose to tail on the belly of the aircraft
14) Gun door has a bulge on the E referred to as the ext clip door, this was
were we put our forms for the aircraft also access to the gundrum which the
interior was modified from the D to E in having more avionics stuffed up
inside of there as well.
15) Main forward Gear doors are bulged on the E for the beefed-up landing
gear and increased height and width of the E model tires.
16) JFS exhaust no longer has the louver just a hollow pipe (aft of
centerline pylon on the centerline of the aircraft) on the E model, C models
were all modified with new JFS exhaust by 1994.
17) Engine bay panels modified so they could be drooped for engine
maintenance without dropping the CFTs, the CFT's covered some of the engine
bay panels on the C and we had to drop the CFT's anytime we had Engine
maintenance.
18) there are two Engine Oil servicing doors on the forward engine bay panel
on the E, one inboard and one outboard, the C had one.
19) Tail hook was extended down 2" from the bottom of the fuselage on the E
to give more room for more avionics, the C models was flush to the fuselage.
20) Stab actuator panels reconfigured so limited stab maintenance could be
done with CFT's installed including a small access panel for doing flight
control trimming was installed, C model had unmodified panel as CFT's were
hardly ever installed.
And of course more to add.
1)Nose and mains truts are beefed up, thinker then the A/C struts.
2)Draglinks on both nose and mains are thicker with the drag springs larger
in circumference(round spring looking things at hinge point on drag link
used to help strut retract)
3) The bungee on the C model strut replaced with a rigid link on the E
(thing that comes down and attaches to the draglink from the trunnion on the
mains) this is what makes the strut rotate into the wheelwell when
retracting.
4) Wheels (rims) on the E have a spacer on the mains for height and
different internal for width, different rim overall.
5) The nose strut has a shimmer damper installed on the front to keep the
heavily laden E model nose tire from oscillating on hi-speed taxies or
take-off and landing (looks like a thick tube coming out of the strut).
6) The oleo is square I frame on the E in comparison to the rounded oleo on
the C.
7) Nose tire is thicker on the E then the C.
There are numerous other changes not noticeable on a model of 1/48 or 1/32,
but you get the point.

This is a pretty basic list but gives you some idea as to some of the
changes to the Emodel, there are more panel differences but I would be
typing all day with panel lists in front of me. I also have a list on the 1/32 Tamiya F-15Cdiscrepencies if interested. 

On 5/8/2017 at 7:00 AM, Nite92 said:

That's good to know.  So what base kit are you thinking of using?  I would think another Hasegawa C would work, but would an Academy or GWH work too?

I am using a Monogram F-15C, because that is what I had in my stash, along with a Revell F-15E for details. I am a broke model builder.

7 hours ago, admiralcag said:

I am using a Monogram F-15C, because that is what I had in my stash, along with a Revell F-15E for details. I am a broke model builder.

You figure before the GWT kit the Monogram kit had a much more accurate Airframe outline than the Hasegawa, though a bit long in tooth, harder to build, raised panel lines and canopy outline it is still the only accurate A model on the market. Academy has misshapen fuselage shapes and for me is ot that appealing in profile. the Tamiya kit and Italeri kits are ok in outline but lack detail considering they italeri is a modern molded kit.

Just keep in mind you are using an A model to make a C model, keep my list handy as the speedbrake fairing and wheels are very noticeable differences..

8 hours ago, admiralcag said:

Could you use the Revell E model as the base kit? Others have used the Hasegawa C with the Revell E to make a single seater...  I'm sure the kit's parts break down is diferent, but it might be worth the effort...

Kinda sorta but not really.  There are details on the strike that arent on the C kit. Tail hook cover is missing. Gun door on the bottom. ECM on the booms are different. Different wheels and landing gear. Cockpit etc. 

3 hours ago, TBP1538 said:

Could you use the Revell E model as the base kit? Others have used the Hasegawa C with the Revell E to make a single seater...  I'm sure the kit's parts break down is diferent, but it might be worth the effort...

Take a look at my C/D to E comparison, these would apply to the kits. I have seen attempts to do that but no finished product! The ProMonoVell Mudhen is pretty accurate for an E so you would have to do the same to the kits. Especially the newer mud hens have much more additions to them that the Albinos would not have received. 

11 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

You figure before the GWT kit the Monogram kit had a much more accurate Airframe outline than the Hasegawa, though a bit long in tooth, harder to build, raised panel lines and canopy outline it is still the only accurate A model on the market. Academy has misshapen fuselage shapes and for me is ot that appealing in profile. the Tamiya kit and Italeri kits are ok in outline but lack detail considering they italeri is a modern molded kit.

Just keep in mind you are using an A model to make a C model, keep my list handy as the speedbrake fairing and wheels are very noticeable differences..

I grabbed your list for reference. Working on rescribing all the lines. Here's my post on it. Haven't worked on it in a while because I am just busy.

@Old Crew Dog,

Regarding:

16.    No chaff and flare mods installed under the intake on A models."

That is true also for post MSIP F-15A ?

Your list on the discrepancies of 1:32 Tamiya F-15E would be very appriciated.

Best,

On 5/14/2017 at 7:22 PM, Ol Crew Dog said:

Take a look at my C/D to E comparison, these would apply to the kits. I have seen attempts to do that but no finished product! The ProMonoVell Mudhen is pretty accurate for an E so you would have to do the same to the kits. Especially the newer mud hens have much more additions to them that the Albinos would not have received. 

Here is a finished product... Hasegawa C and Revell E kitbash.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/284803-148-f-15c/

On 2017-05-17 at 2:42 AM, Lucio Martino said:

@Old Crew Dog,

Regarding:

16.    No chaff and flare mods installed under the intake on A models."

That is true also for post MSIP F-15A ?

Your list on the discrepancies of 1:32 Tamiya F-15E would be very appriciated.

Best,

I know most if not all A models that went ghrough MISIP received the upgrades to include chaff and flare mods. As to what aircraft I don't have a definitive list but I would say all the  with low airframe hours aircraft that went to Intercept squadrons not the bone yard.