1/48 AD-1 (pseudo) Skyraider

This is model #4 in the VFA-211 history project. I started with the Monogram kit (Thanks Don!) and made some of the most visible changes. I sanded off the armor plating, fabricated inserts for the wheel bays so they were round openings, filled in the tail area, cut away one of the guns, added a mast antenna, sanded off the wingtip navigation lights and painted the corners the appropriate colors, sanded off the position lights on the tail, and put different wheel pants on. I'm sure there are other things that I missed, but I don't think anyone at VFA-211 will know or care. I didn't change out the canopy. I'm contemplating doing a conversion to the Tamiya kit, so I'll add the different canopy on that one. The -1 had a longer canopy that covered the entire canopy strut mechanism. The markings depict VA-1B.

3951729_orig.jpg

1219103_orig.jpg

9372437_orig.jpg

3200769_orig.jpg

Edited by Darren Roberts
47 minutes ago, Charlie D. said:

Nice work Darren! What did you use for the finish? 

Charlie

Thanks! I used MM Acryl Dark Sea Blue, brushed on a coat of Future to seal everything, then mixed MM Acryl Flat with Future, thinned it pretty heavily with MM Acryl thinner, and toned down the shine.