Academy B-25B Doolittle Raid 1/48

I just bought the Academy Doolittle raid B25B. Has anyone had any experience with this kit? From what I can tell, it looks like a nice kit. I wanted one from the Doolittle Raid and this was the only one I could find. Kit number 12302

It's a re-box of the Accurate Miniatures kit; almost certainly the best 1:48 B-25B available. There are plenty of reviews and build articles to be found if you search Accurate Miniatures B-25B.

I did read some of the reviews before buying it. I was also looking at another kit but it was the B25J I think. I'm still learning the differences between the B and other models.

In 1/48 you've got the B-25B, the B-25C/D and the B-25G by Accurate Miniatures/Academy (I think the C/D is also available from Italeri). These are all the earlier variants with the top turret on the aft fuselage.

The B-25H/J were originally Monogram molds, although they were later released by Revell.

Skip the B-25B/C/D from Revell it's a quite old kit and certainly can't approach the level of the newer kits.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, DonSS3 said:

In 1/48 you've got the B-25B, the B-25C/D and the B-25G by Accurate Miniatures/Academy (I think the C/D is also available from Italeri). These are all the earlier variants with the top turret on the aft fuselage.

The B-25H/J were originally Monogram molds, although they were later released by Revell.

Skip the B-25B/C/D from Revell it's a quite old kit and certainly can't approach the level of the newer kits.

Academy does sell (or did anyway) the B25G from A.M. I hunted and hunted for the A,M. kit, and finally gave up. Been nice if they had also done the B25H & B25J as well.

gary

I once read but have no way to independently verify that the enlargement of the aft fuselage to accommodate a gunner required the entire fuselage after of the wing trailing edge to be slightly enlarged. If true, you can't turn the AM kits into H or J variants. In addition to moving the dorsal turret forward.

If you can't find the B-25G kit, take a look on eBay. AM made a conversion kit to convert their B-25B to the G. Sometimes they can be found pretty cheaply. I think the only major B-25J release I don't have from Monogram is the gun-nosed J. I did have the gun nose at one time, but I traded it away for a H nose. I think Three AM kits and two Monogram kits is enough for B-25s. :sunrevolves: I just need to get some RAAF decals for the glass-nosed J and I'm set.

So I received my new B-25B kit today. I was excited and opened up the shipping box only to find the model box mangled. I bought it off Amazon and it had an Amazon quality inspection decal on the box. Obviously they didn't look at it too close. I guess I bought a return by mistake. It had been opened and resealed. As I looked through the box, I noticed that one half of the fuselage was bent so bad it had changed colors and it was nearly broken in two. There were other parts off the trees and several of the trees were warped too. BUMMER. I was able to return it for a refund though so now I"ll order another one.

I have bought a lot off Amazon with never a problem and I am a Prime member. I think it was my fault though as the one I bought had been returned and was listed at a cheaper price. If I had only read a little closer. I wont make that mistake again.