Paint acrylic and laquer. Brands

Dear fellow modelers: I have the following question, hope someone can help me. I know that there are basically 3 types of modeling paints, enamels, acrilic lacquers and acrylics. Humbrol are enamels ones, Tamiya are lacquer-acrylic, and AMMO and AK-Interactive are %100 acrylics (water based, water.soluble.

Here`s the question, are the brand Aqueous Hobby Color %100 acrylics like AMMO and AK-Interactive, or are they like Tamiya ones, lacquers water based?.

Thank you in advance.

Tamiya spray paints are lacquer-based acrylic.

Tamiya square-bottle paints are oil-based (enamel) acrylic.

Tamiya round-bottle paints are alcohol-based acrylic.

GSI/Gunze Mr. Color is lacquer-based acrylic.

GSI/Gunze Aqueous Hobby Color is alcohol-based acrylic.

So...  Aqueous hobby color is closer to Vallejo/AMMO.  You can wash up with water (water soluble), but you can't really thin them well with water; you'll have better results using either isopropyl alcohol or a proprietary thinner (either the lacquer or acrylic thinners from both Tamiya and Gunze work well).

On 8/5/2017 at 3:56 PM, MoFo said:

So...  Aqueous hobby color is closer to Vallejo/AMMO.  You can wash up with water (water soluble), but you can't really thin them well with water; you'll have better results using either isopropyl alcohol or a proprietary thinner (either the lacquer or acrylic thinners from both Tamiya and Gunze work well).

Thank you very much for your reply.  Maybe I ´ll give them a try. I´m using now AMMO and AK-Interactive acrylic paints wich are wonderful, so if Aqueous Hobby Color are similar to them, I´ll give them a try.

On 2017-05-08 at 8:56 PM, MoFo said:

How did you reach that conclusion? You even wrote yourself that "GSI/Gunze Aqueous Hobby Color is alcohol-based acrylic." Vallejo definitely isn't. Mix Vallejo with stronger alcohole based thinners, and it will turn to goo.

On 12/5/2017 at 0:05 AM, Crazy Snap Captain said:

Gunze Aqueous is an alcohol based acrylic. It won't clean up with water. Needs alcohol based thinner like it's own brand name thinner, Tamiya X-20A or Isotropyl alcohol. 

So, it isn´t exactly the same as AK-Interactive and AMMO wich are water based acrylics, is it?. I must buy the specific thinner then?

1) No, it is not like AK or AMMO. It is an alcohol based acrylic.

2) Yes, You can use either Tamiya X-20A or Mr Color Acrylic Thinner or any other Isopropyl Alcohol. You can even use Tamiya and Mr Color Lacquer thinner on these paints for both thinning and clean up.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

On 2017-5-14 at 11:28 PM, Crazy Snap Captain said:

1) No, it is not like AK or AMMO. It is an alcohol based acrylic.

2) Yes, You can use either Tamiya X-20A or Mr Color Acrylic Thinner or any other Isopropyl Alcohol. You can even use Tamiya and Mr Color Lacquer thinner on these paints for both thinning and clean up.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Sir.!!