Hello,

a friend of mine gave me a Academy 1/48 Hughes 500D

What can I do with this bird beside the Israel version?

The the Unithed States Army use it today?

is it the one from the black hawk down movie? or can it be upgrade to it?

I don't know nothing about this bird

please advice

Edited by CharlieUH-1H

CMK has two conversions to upgrade that kit to the versions used by the 160th SOAR of the US Army.  They are the MH-6E/J and AH-6F/J versions and would be appropriate for Little Birds from the events of Black Hawk Down.  The helicopters used in the movie for filming are slightly upgraded versions of what was in Somalia.  Werners Wings has decals for some of the Little Birds of the right time period.

Quickboost does a conversion for the tail of the Academy kit for the OH-6A Cayuse that was used in Vietnam as a Light Observation Helicopter.

All three of those conversions are pretty straightforward and painless.  I would say that the hardest part is having a good setup to get the bench seats on MH-6 version.  Limited gluing surface means it takes a while until it is solid enough to hold.  But no crazy cuts or other intense stuff.

Chris

56 minutes ago, Chris D said:

CMK has two conversions to upgrade that kit to the versions used by the 160th SOAR of the US Army.  They are the MH-6E/J and AH-6F/J versions and would be appropriate for Little Birds from the events of Black Hawk Down.  The helicopters used in the movie for filming are slightly upgraded versions of what was in Somalia.  Werners Wings has decals for some of the Little Birds of the right time period.

Quickboost does a conversion for the tail of the Academy kit for the OH-6A Cayuse that was used in Vietnam as a Light Observation Helicopter.

All three of those conversions are pretty straightforward and painless.  I would say that the hardest part is having a good setup to get the bench seats on MH-6 version.  Limited gluing surface means it takes a while until it is solid enough to hold.  But no crazy cuts or other intense stuff.

Chris

Thanks so much Mr. Great information. 

On 5/8/2017 at 9:24 PM, Chris D said:

All three of those conversions are pretty straightforward and painless. 

Either one has it's own challenges. IIRC the OH-6A does not address the rear door body mods and the newer ones don't account for the additional riveting needed.

Can't find it but someone did a build and showed the differences in the MH/AH birds.

I see you already started but there is nothing wrong with a civilian bird.

Edited by Tank

AH/MH-6 Little Birds are painted with a mix of black and helo drab, 50-50 ratio. There is no specific color for them. But, you could use flat black lightned a little bit if you dont want to mix colors.

Great work on the cockpit.

Rod.

I have heard this too, but have never seen one that has any shade of green to it.  From everyone I have talked to and any I have seen, it is flat black.  It fades quickly to a chalky black/gray color and weathers heavily. 

It really comes out looking like a light black.  The best color I've found is actually Lifecolor's Deep Cockpit.  It is a very, very dark gray (light black) with a faint green hue to it.  To my eyes, the end result is spot on.

Chris

9 minutes ago, Chris D said:

It really comes out looking like a light black.  The best color I've found is actually Lifecolor's Deep Cockpit.  It is a very, very dark gray (light black) with a faint green hue to it.  To my eyes, the end result is spot on.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the help!

my friend

do you have any sample?