Well, in my search for adult continuing education, I have searched THIS section of ARC and read many posts.  I now have a headache!  Simple question: Is there a 1/48 scale UH-1B/C/E kit that builds into what it claims on the box without modifications?

Monogram / Starfix UH-iB "Rescue Chopper" / "Armed Chopper"

Monogram / Revell UH-1C Huey Hog / Air Force

Fujimi / Testors / Academy(?) / MiniCraft(?) UH-1B

HobbyBoss UH-1C

Aurora UH-1B Cobra 'Copter

Lindberg UH-1 Huey

Do ANY of these kits present an exterior shape that is accurate?  Which of the kits is "least worst"?

Thanks for humoring me,

C2j

I'm a 1/35 guy and I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is no.

In fact the only accurate Huey kit is the 1/35 MRC UH-1C. Simply put the best Huey kit on the market without a doubt. Which is why it is sad the KittyHawk UH-1D/H is now 1/48. Their proposed 1/35 version could be years away. It would have been a great companion to the MRC kit.

Chris

Edited by UH-1Mad
3 hours ago, Cubs2jets said:

Well, in my search for adult continuing education, I have searched THIS section of ARC and read many posts.  I now have a headache!  Simple question: Is there a 1/48 scale UH-1B/C/E kit that builds into what it claims on the box without modifications?

Monogram / Starfix UH-iB "Rescue Chopper" / "Armed Chopper"

Monogram / Revell UH-1C Huey Hog / Air Force

Fujimi / Testors / Academy(?) / MiniCraft(?) UH-1B

HobbyBoss UH-1C

Aurora UH-1B Cobra 'Copter

Lindberg UH-1 Huey

Do ANY of these kits present an exterior shape that is accurate?  Which of the kits is "least worst"?

Thanks for humoring me,

C2j

No,nope,Nyet, Nein!  Here's my thoughts on these kits.

Monogram / Starfix UH-iB "Rescue Chopper" / "Armed Chopper"- Total and complete crap.

Monogram / Revell UH-1C Huey Hog / Air Force- This kit is a mix of Uh-1B and UH-1C parts and can't be built correctly as either without donor parts from other kits.  The irony with the "Huey Hog" kit is not only does it show Marine markings and Army weapons, but that weapon system mix of M16/M5 systems never flew in Vietnam even with the Army and a Huey Hog is actually the name soldiers gave birds armed with either the 19 shot M159/M200 rocket pods or the 24 shot M3 system, neither of which is in the kit!  The Air Force never flew anything resembling what's in the kit.  Closest thing would be the USAF UH-1F/P which used a different rotor, tailboom and engine/exhaust.  The Huey Hog kit has the most accurate basic profile for a UH-1B OOB.

Fujimi / Testors / Academy(?) / MiniCraft(?) UH-1B-  No, just No

Hobby Boss UH-1C.  This kit has a small amount of potential.  You do get the UH-1C tail fin and sync elevators and the kit virtually falls together.  The main rotor is total crap though and should be thrown away in my opinion.  If you steal a main rotor from a Huey Hog kit you can build a pretty decent UH-1C.  Internally though it is VERY basic and the are no weapons and the cabin doors are molded shut.  This one has the most accurate basic profile for a UH-1C OOB.  

Aurora UH-1B Cobra 'Copter- Run away, Run away!

Lindberg UH-1 Huey- Insert sad face emoji here!

Hope that helps.

Ray

Just my two cents

Monogram / Revell UH-1C Huey Hog / Air Force - There's enough in this kit for me to favor it despite some of the other discrepancies not listed in Ray's review (anti-collision lights have to be fixed between UH-1B/C, frustrating poor fit of roof to cabin body, molded on windshield wipers, dog house gap, no nose mounted pitot for UH-1B, nose mounted FM Antenna have to be removed for a UH-1C, no hell hole, M21 system has to be tweaked, etc). That said it's really inexpensive, does present a good profile, and is completely workable.

With all the research available here or online it's possible to build an accurate UH-1B/C gunship. As a base you are presented with the possibility of multiple short body Huey versions. There is also a variety of aftermarket for this kit to get it right from the correction set now offered by Lone Star Models (former Cobra Company molds) to M158/M157 pods and M134 miniguns. Also good decals out there for various units. I have 9 of these in the stash and 2 on the bench.

Hobby Boss UH-1C - Nice profile but outside of that the overall detail is severely lacking. It's very chunky. I've never liked it for its rudimentary details like blocks for skid steps or the terrible rotor system. Not worth the price IMHO. Decal fit is usually a gripe as well. 

Only two 1/48 short body Huey kits I've ever owned. The others listed I've stayed away from except to raid for parts.

2 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

Just my two cents

Monogram / Revell UH-1C Huey Hog / Air Force - There's enough in this kit for me to favor it despite some of the other discrepancies not listed in Ray's review (anti-collision lights have to be fixed between UH-1B/C, frustrating poor fit of roof to cabin body, molded on windshield wipers, dog house gap, no nose mounted pitot for UH-1B, nose mounted FM Antenna have to be removed for a UH-1C, no hell hole, M21 system has to be tweaked, etc). That said it's really inexpensive, does present a good profile, and is completely workable.

With all the research available here or online it's possible to build an accurate UH-1B/C gunship. As a base you are presented with the possibility of multiple short body Huey versions. There is also a variety of aftermarket for this kit to get it right from the correction set now offered by Lone Star Models (former Cobra Company molds) to M158/M157 pods and M134 miniguns. Also good decals out there for various units. I have 9 of these in the stash and 2 on the bench.

Hobby Boss UH-1C - Nice profile but outside of that the overall detail is severely lacking. It's very chunky. I've never liked it for its rudimentary details like blocks for skid steps or the terrible rotor system. Not worth the price IMHO. Decal fit is usually a gripe as well. 

Only two 1/48 short body Huey kits I've ever owned. The others listed I've stayed away from except to raid for parts.

I was just trying not to be rivet counter, Lloyd.  But you are right  a lot of little bits to change.  My review was based on making the Huey Hog as a B model so the light on the tail is correct.  It seems everyone wants to buiold it as a C though so then you need some serious upgrades to the basic kit.  I'm still trying to figure out a way to get a good build out of the Hobby Boss kit.  This one didn't require a lot of interior work.  UH-1M drone built form the Hobby Boss kit bashed with the Huey Hog main rotor and interior bits.  One thing I did do was to sand the skid steps to a more reasonable approximation of the real thing.

Ray

No automatic alt text available.

44 minutes ago, TMReich said:

SB has two different boxings of a Revell Huey Hog in 1/48.  Are these the same kit?

Same plastic, different decals.

Ray and snake36bravo said it all.

In 1/48 there is no good short body huey kit, the best of the worse LOL is the revell monogram huey hog.

Best in any scale, as Chris(UH-1Mad) said, its the MRC 1/35 Charlie model.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001