Two wild cats in 48th,Tamiya VS HB

The next about mask painting.It’s time consuming,eyesight consuming and mask tape consuming.

The first round for chevrons and fuselage bands and their black edge.

4Gk9nF.jpg

A9eJsu.jpg

XBDrm2.jpg

jgtlnh.jpg

qTkYpw.jpg

J6e3oM.jpg

The second for black tail and wing root black.

u4euhB.jpg

4e0B9x.jpg

And finally for tri-color prop tips,oh my.

VhUECB.jpg

cpMrnE.jpg

51ckcD.jpg

Two lessons I need to remember from this yellow-wings A/C painting.One is about deliberate masking arrangement on the leading edge area where chevrons close to the edge of wing root black.The other about paint accumulated on the bands edge.

9Qepbb.jpg

gTsuNi.jpg

sYYP8v.jpg

j6LrM9.jpg

I strongly feel that I’ve had enough of this,um,this HB crazy cat.I need a break.I need another type.

My eyes on the Tamiya F4F.she is so quite ,like a baby cat.

eIhj5s.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Edited by egg2012

sJust finished catching up on your Duel F4F builds. Since you questioned the correct colors for the cockpits, my references indicate that pre-war/ early production F4F-3s cockpits and interiors were painted with Aluminum lacquer. Late model -3s and early -4s had the cockpit painted in what is referred to as Bronze Green, while the rest of the  -4s had their cockpits painted in Interior Green. Talk about confusing!  Grumman's painted their fuselage interiors, wheel wells, and inside of the cowlings with what is now referred to as Grumman Gray, a more neutral shade of Gray rather then the more traditional zinc chromate, most likely due the shortage on LI of the protective coating then anything else. Also, the use of shoulder harnesses came into being with the -4s. The -3's only had lap belts.  I learned that lesion the hard way on my Trumpeter 1/32 -3 build.  You are absolutely correct in removing the duel magnetos from the crankcase cover on the Pratt & Whitney R-1830-76 . When Grumman's switched to the R-1830-86 engine, P&W had moved the magnetos to the top of the crankcase, which is the most visible differences between the two engines. 

Your pre-war painting and masking is simply outstanding. Very well done.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
8 hours ago, Joel_W said:

sJust finished catching up on your Duel F4F builds. Since you questioned the correct colors for the cockpits, my references indicate that pre-war/ early production F4F-3s cockpits and interiors were painted with Aluminum lacquer. Late model -3s and early -4s had the cockpit painted in what is referred to as Bronze Green, while the rest of the  -4s had their cockpits painted in Interior Green. Talk about confusing!  Grumman's painted their fuselage interiors, wheel wells, and inside of the cowlings with what is now referred to as Grumman Gray, a more neutral shade of Gray rather then the more traditional zinc chromate, most likely due the shortage on LI of the protective coating then anything else. Also, the use of shoulder harnesses came into being with the -4s. The -3's only had lap belts.  I learned that lesion the hard way on my Trumpeter 1/32 -3 build.  You are absolutely correct in removing the duel magnetos from the crankcase cover on the Pratt & Whitney R-1830-76 . When Grumman's switched to the R-1830-86 engine, P&W had moved the magnetos to the top of the crankcase, which is the most visible differences between the two engines. 

Your pre-war painting and masking is simply outstanding. Very well done.

Joel

Thanks sir,the information is greatly appreciated.According to your information and my limited references,this yellow-wings early war bird probably was painted cockpit in Aluminum.About the shoulder harness,I just wandered if lap belts could hold pilots tightly on the seats when the real things did maneuver .

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Terrific progress on the Two Cats. Yellow color on the wings looks spot on. 

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

6 hours ago, Ichitoe said:

Agreed, fantastic work!

Mike

Thank you,I will keep them coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joel,Sean and  CaptainObvious for your comments.

Add several pics of painting Tamiya wildcat.

First ,I did a little experiment on the chipping fluid.I applied this product over which I tested lacquer paints because until then ,what I had read about using this kind of chipping products all involved only acrylic based paints.My stash gives me more choices on Mr Color lacquer paints.I don’t wanna give up on them.  

xXv1tL.jpg

I airbrushed the chipping fluid on both the oil cooler air intakers under wings.I applied a little thick on the starboard one ,thin layer on the port.And then I airbrushed Mr color 325.The result,IMO ,was good.Chipping could be done under control by many handy tools without effort.I don’t think the water to moisturize the top paint would be totally necessary. 

AjBt3m.jpg

S2BQYm.jpg

Painting the undersurface of the cat .Two layers at least for now.

WGx0g7.jpg

f3Z7P4.jpg

Edited by egg2012
  • 1 month later...

update a little progress on Tamiya cat painting and weathering 

basic  upper surface painting and chipping  

LOT15Q.jpg

DMgzrQ.jpg

I started doing weathering from the upper fuselage .I ,even now ,haven't specific expectation on the final weathered look.I plan to do it layer by layer with enamel and oil products.

ZZzegK.jpg

9M0nPW.jpg

It still looks monotony.some other tones and streaks in  different shapes will be added.

Edited by egg2012
13 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Egg2012,

Paint chipping looks restrained and thus realistic as so many times it's grossly overdone in scale. Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Thank you Joel.It's restrained simply because I don't  know clearly what to do next.It's much like the situation when I was trying to cook a new dish.

I'm gonna look for inspiration from some old photos on web..

Feng

9 hours ago, egg2012 said:

Thank you Joel.It's restrained simply because I don't  know clearly what to do next.It's much like the situation when I was trying to cook a new dish.

I'm gonna look for inspiration from some old photos on web..

Feng

Feng,

I tend to go with the philosophy of less is more. With scale compression trying to duplicate weathering and wear patterns 1:1 just looks way over done and unrealistic. But that's just my opinion, so do what you like.

Joel

• 2 months later...

Hello guys.This post will reach its first anniversary next month.I think the two cats building can also be close to its final outcome if there were no surprise. Thanks everyone who checked my building and everyone who left your kind words.

I repeated several times on weathering Tamiya cat until I totally didn’t know what to do again.To be frank,I think the effect is a little chaotic.but I did learn something from the process and I’m gonna improve it on my next project.

RK4aUe.jpg

0ep1Ha.jpg

GvHZb2.jpg

nmziz6.jpg

C8PLDQ.jpg

ZFEnMt.jpg

Edited by egg2012

Apply decals.In short about decals quality ,the HB is much better than the Tamiya.It dosen’t mean the HB decal is good enough to let you thumb up,the Tamiya one is a little too thick and the colors printing goes no perfectly.but considering the time it had been at shelf,It's ok.

reUyI0.jpg

nnVSip.jpg

tcBN00.jpg

51mAdN.jpg

V4zJYk.jpg

zwafDn.jpg

tiyJMV.jpg

H1mOBj.jpg

I’m gonna do the last weathering on decals and the areas around them after the decals get 100% dry,then give the two birds a enamel wash and assembly all parts together.I also have a plan about the antenna wires.

Thanks for watching!

Edited by egg2012

Egg2012,

Great progress for sure.

The weathering with the dot method looks pretty good to me. 

as for the decals, I like how you've trimmed them as much as you could and still keep them in pairs. But why not just completely separate them?  

Joel

13 hours ago, Rocat said:

Great progress, lovely couple!

Thank you Rocat.

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Egg2012,

Great progress for sure.

The weathering with the dot method looks pretty good to me. 

as for the decals, I like how you've trimmed them as much as you could and still keep them in pairs. But why not just completely separate them?  

Joel

When it comes to the dot effect,I just felt lucky not to ruin the whole surface when I was doing it .It's another story .

As for the decals,the Tamiya's has become fragile,cutting could easily break edge of the patterns,I've broken some.Another reason is about convenience when to apply the decals .I think that aligning them could be easier.

egg2012,

alignment of individual decals has always been a major issue with me. I've got to trying not to cut them apart whenever possible. Unfortunately, I usually pay the price with some silvering issues. 

Joel

On 2018/4/20 at 3:48 AM, Joel_W said:

egg2012,

alignment of individual decals has always been a major issue with me. I've got to trying not to cut them apart whenever possible. Unfortunately, I usually pay the price with some silvering issues. 

Joel

I heard that there is a decal called wet transfer decal.I'm gonna have a go when I have a chance .

On 2018/4/20 at 5:03 AM, CaptainObvious said:

Very nice progress on the both of them.
The contrast between the 2 finishes really highlight the differences between the 2 operating environments.
Kudos to you for pulling it off convincingly.

Thank you Captain!

There are still some jobs to be done before the whole building ends.I'll keep them coming .

OK, I've got the job done.I had not finished one kit for at least 10 years before I finished the two wild cats this time .Building the two kits was for practice.

update last batch of pics.

photos took in artificial light by my cell phone.

X546ll.jpg

3I3Cyv.jpg

pgx7kU.jpg

63yIDy.jpg

0kikDA.jpg

in sun light (midday and afternoon)

Iyn29M.jpg

XY27sd.jpg

0KV8Vz.jpg

qf4jov.jpg

VSsXRo.jpg

67Bu5v.jpg