Hobby Boss 1/48 A-4E Skyhawk sprue shots...

The flaps..that's okay..since most photos I've seen of Skyhawks on the ramp or parked on deck have the flaps up. However the slats are an issue since they were either pulled down by gravity or air pressure..which means that they'd be down. 

14 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

The flaps..that's okay..since most photos I've seen of Skyhawks on the ramp or parked on deck have the flaps up. However the slats are an issue since they were either pulled down by gravity or air pressure..which means that they'd be down. 

In that case, I would say this kit is un buildable!

I'm happy with the Hasegawa offering, even with all it's issues. 

Not going to go out of my way to acquire one.... if i find one at a vendor table for cheap....I might get it.

Well this was out of left field. Did not even hear about this pending. I see the nose wheel is attached to the landing strut so very similar to Hasegawa. Not too crazy about the slats being in the up position. Would be ok for the Blue Angels but not the regular A-4 fleet I would think.

Will have to see plastic before I commit to buy but to be honest not too excited since I already have many 1/48 Skyhawk kits (Monogram, ESCI, Hobbycraft and Hasegawa). Don't really need another kit I am NOT building.

Edited by skyhawk174

Weapons and wing fuel tanks are repop from the A-7 kits. But interesting to see the sprue with the missile rails (Sprue G) - looks like this may be the 400 gallon centerline tank? 

(Could also be a distorted photo?) 

Building mostly inflight models I'll try one out. 

300 gal tanks look a bit anemic.  Slats and flaps up means its not much use for a aircraft on the ground as these were down 99% of the time in my experience. 

As others have said might be ok for in flight builds especially if the interior engine intake piece fits better than Hasegawas . 

Overall nothing here makes me want to buy it over the Hasegawa one...Be interesting to see what price it goes for 

I was getting nervous as to if this kit was going to be better than Hasegawa's as I have just bought 2 of the Eduard boxings from Sprue Bros. from their deal of the day deal.  Not so much now.  It has the one piece NLG (strut and wheel assembly) too just like Hasegawa's.

3 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

No separate flaps and slats? Meh. Skip.

Why did this do this but keep the airbrakes separate? It makes no sense. The slats are so distinctive on A-4's. The flaps may be cuttable, seeing as the actuator for them is a separate part.

It also doesn't have a proper deep exhaust, but that's common in models of Skyhawks.

14 minutes ago, spejic said:

Why did this do this but keep the airbrakes separate? It makes no sense. The slats are so distinctive on A-4's. The flaps may be cuttable, seeing as the actuator for them is a separate part.

It also doesn't have a proper deep exhaust, but that's common in models of Skyhawks.

Ok I may have missed this on the sprue shots. Where do you see the actuators? Without them I would think it would make cutting the front slats difficult. I have no desire to scratch build them.

It is possible to build this sitting on the deck with the slats up, just have them "pinned" in the up position.

There was a canvas strap that was used to pin the slats in the up position, use a piece of decal stripe to simulate this and have a RBF flag at the end of it to simulate the pin.

There is a drawing of the strap in the Ginter Naval Fighter book for the A-4 (can't remember which A-4 book but one of them has info on the strap).