Hobby Boss 1/48 A-4E Skyhawk sprue shots...

This kit almost kills all of my possible enthusiasm for the 1/72 kit. Since we pretty much know that they are going to just reduce the size and release in the new scale later,,,,,,,I won't "need" any of them. (Well, I will need one, but, not as a builder)

We can already find the same lack of features in existing kits,,,,,,,I don't need yet another.

As for the slap straps, you just hook a small metal clip to a slot just behind the slat on the top of the wing, hold the slat up with one hand, and wrap the strap around, and peer underneath and pop the pin in the hole. Easy to make, just whatever you want for the strap, a tiny steel clip on top, and a pin from one of the bomb detail sets, with an RBF streaming down. (and I mean a verrrry tiny steel clip in 1/48 or 1/72)

On 5/10/2017 at 10:33 PM, skyhawk174 said:

Ok I may have missed this on the sprue shots. Where do you see the actuators? Without them I would think it would make cutting the front slats difficult. I have no desire to scratch build them.

dM0vbA0.jpg

I'm guessing the flaps are designed to be cut because they didn't mold on the actuators in the circled areas.

3 hours ago, spejic said:

dM0vbA0.jpg

I'm guessing the flaps are designed to be cut because they didn't mold on the actuators in the circled areas.

You see them between the main gear doors and the gun ports in the right part of the picture you provided. 

16 hours ago, Niels said:

You see them between the main gear doors and the gun ports in the right part of the picture you provided. 

I'm not saying they are missing. I'm saying they are separate parts for a reason.

On 5/12/2017 at 3:56 AM, spejic said:

dM0vbA0.jpg

I think you're probably correct about this. That seems to be something new kit companies are doing. They keep everything buttoned up, but make it relatively easy to cut out/drop if you'd like to. I don't see any slat well parts, but looking at the bottom wing, the leading edge has a cut out for the slat shape. That means the slat wraps around on the upper wing part, making it easy to cut away. I don't think it would be too hard to fabricate a slat well. I could probably make a resin piece for it. This is an interesting release. Has there been a price listed?

Edited by Darren Roberts
1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

I think you're probably correct about this. That seems to be something new kit companies are doing. They keep everything buttoned up, but make it relatively easy to cut out/drop if you'd like to. I don't see any slat well parts, but looking at the bottom wing, the leading edge has a cut out for the slat shape. That means the slat wraps around on the upper wing part, making it easy to cut away. I don't think it would be too hard to fabricate a slat well. I could probably make a resin piece for it. This is an interesting release. Has there been a price listed?

I would hope this is the case for HB otherwise not having positionable slats and flaps would be a huge goof up on their part.

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

I don't think it would be too hard to fabricate a slat well. I could probably make a resin piece for it. 

Interesting supposition about the slats and flaps breakout, Darren. Your resin filler would likely be a good seller ... providing the HB kit is priced "appropriately" lower than the Hasegawa kit. 

Like Skyhawk Rex, I'll likely have to get one ... regardless ...because it's a Skyhawk.

Gene K

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Interesting supposition about the slats and flaps breakout, Darren. Your resin filler would likely be a good seller ... providing the HB kit is priced "appropriately" lower than the Hasegawa kit. 

Like Skyhawk Rex, I'll likely have to get one ... regardless ...because it's a Skyhawk.

Gene K

I will as well. I have a 1/48 Skyhawk from every manufacturer (that I know of). I'm going to review/rate each manufacturer's kit. I really thought I was done. I was surprised to see a new A-4 release. The whole thing hinges on how much it is. If it comes in at $20-30, then it will be a great option. If it comes in at $50-60, you can still find Hasegawa kits around for less.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I would hope this is the case for HB otherwise not having positionable slats and flaps would be a huge goof up on their part.

Isn't that the truth! Even the older kits (Monogram, ESCI, Hobbycraft) have the slats dropped.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, Darren Roberts said:

I will as well. I have a 1/48 Skyhawk from every manufacturer (that I know of). I'm going to review/rate each manufacturer's kit. I really thought I was done. I was surprised to see a new A-4 release. The whole thing hinges on how much it is. If it comes in at $20-30, then it will be a great option. If it comes in at $50-60, you can still find Hasegawa kits around for less.

Now I like the Hasegawa kit in 1/48th scale, but they are also getting hard to come by these days. I have a need for a couple A4c's, and they're hard to come by. All the while I have several sets of Impact decals going to waste.

gary

• 4 months later...

Hello all

Apart from the slat issue...is the rest of the bird shaped ok? I am after a cheap bases for a -B conversion into a Buck Danny Comic book bird. I will otherwise look for a Monogram or Esci bird...not too detailed but of a correct shape.

thanks

Uwe

On 5/14/2017 at 6:00 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Steel Beach has a B/C conversion for the Hasegawa E/F kit. Once the HB kit comes out, I'll see how it fits and make any necessary adjustments.

Any further thoughts, Darren?

Gene K

57 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Any further thoughts, Darren?

Gene K

I got my kit a couple of weeks ago, but school has me so busy that I haven't had time to check it out. The plan is to still make a slat well and a B/C conversion. In what little I've looked at the kit, it looks like it matches up size-wise with the Hasegawa kit pretty closely.

Meh, I'll wait. I already have a few Hasegawa kits in the stash and I haven't seen anything with this new one so far that makes me want it that badly.

Btw, for those in the U.S looking for a late version Skyhawk, Amazon often has Hasegawa 1/48 A-4M's for around $25-$28 with free shipping.

Happy modeling all!

Edited by Don