CharlieUH-1H

U.S. Army 1/48 MH-6J "Night Stalker" WIP (Somalia, 1993)

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A friend of mine gave me this bird.. Beside the Huey this helicopter is on my favorite list.. 

Ill try with this...

9E9EE1C2-629D-4A03-8315-DD07B12711E3_zps

217FE739-7D45-492F-AACC-F3D047BC9A9B_zps

 

 

 

 

Edited by CharlieUH-1H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you are off to a good start.  One of the major changes with the MH-6s is the instrument panel.  It is totally different than what is in an MD500.  It is much more narrow.

MH-6JLittleBird2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Looks like you are off to a good start.  One of the major changes with the MH-6s is the instrument panel.  It is totally different than what is in an MD500.  It is much more narrow.

MH-6JLittleBird2.jpg

Thanks my friend Gino for the picture... Ill try to have fun with this thing until the KH 1/48  huey is with us...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Working on this from the same tree parts

 

30k85qs.jpg

 

ivcm6a.jpg


2yuxagy.jpg


2iu5pu8.jpg


ztek2s.jpg

 

Test
kdq4ih.jpg

 

No $ for the CMK stuff :( when life give you lemons make a cool lemonade :) 
35irnk4.jpg
ojmtfm.jpg
6552dk.jpg

 

 

Edited by CharlieUH-1H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thinking outside the box! Looks good!

 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Great thinking outside the box! Looks good!

 

Tim

I was gonna say great thinking 'inside' the box!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on those antennas I made them with aluminium ..

are they the same on the other side or different ones ?

15hc3ud.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pit is "done" 

216h34.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More of the antennas. 

2elrujn.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone have a good picture of the skid on this helicopter that I can see how they really go and can provide I'll be thankful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The landing gear attaches pretty much how it does in the kit.

shapeimage_49.jpg


Also, if you plan on leaving the pilot doors off, you need to trim them back to the lines in the fuselage.  As is, the opening is just for the window glass.  You may want to trim the rear door openings a bit too as they are a little sloppy and not all the way out to the door opening lines either.

 

I'm not sure what the fabric covered roll in the rear is supposed to be either.  On the AH-6J (armed, 5-blade rotor - as you are building) there is a square box in its place in the rear.  You can see it behind the M134 minigun ammo box in the pics below.

mh6_1.jpgEQG_heliah6_3.jpg

 

You can also see the box well in the rear of this later model AH-6M (6 blade main rotor, 4 blade tail rotor, larger rear door opening, among a few other upgrades).  The box is present on both models though.

AH6J-33.jpg

 

 

 

 

Edited by HeavyArty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

The landing gear attaches pretty much how it does in the kit.

shapeimage_49.jpg


Also, if you plan on leaving the pilot doors off, you need to trim them back to the lines in the fuselage.  As is, the opening is just for the window glass.  You may want to trim the rear door openings a bit too as they are a little sloppy and not all the way out to the door opening lines either.

 

I'm not sure what the fabric covered roll in the rear is supposed to be either.  On the AH-6J (armed, 5-blade rotor - as you are building) there is a square box in its place in the rear.  You can see it behind the M134 minigun ammo box in the pic below.

mh6_1.jpgEQG_heliah6_3.jpg

 

You can also see the box well in the rear of this later model AH-6M (6 blade main rotor, 4 blade tail rotor, larger rear door opening, among a few other upgrades).  The box is the present on both models though.

AH6J-33.jpg

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the help Gino, Any Idea on how can I make this Box? Ill try to make it with aluminum and plastic.. but if you have any Idea on how to make it please let me know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

The landing gear attaches pretty much how it does in the kit.

shapeimage_49.jpg


Also, if you plan on leaving the pilot doors off, you need to trim them back to the lines in the fuselage.  As is, the opening is just for the window glass.  You may want to trim the rear door openings a bit too as they are a little sloppy and not all the way out to the door opening lines either.

 

I'm not sure what the fabric covered roll in the rear is supposed to be either.  On the AH-6J (armed, 5-blade rotor - as you are building) there is a square box in its place in the rear.  You can see it behind the M134 minigun ammo box in the pic below.

mh6_1.jpgEQG_heliah6_3.jpg

 

You can also see the box well in the rear of this later model AH-6M (6 blade main rotor, 4 blade tail rotor, larger rear door opening, among a few other upgrades).  The box is the present on both models though.

AH6J-33.jpg

 

 

 

 

Gino, thanks for the info on the skid.. I noticed that the kit is kind of highers than pictures you post or am I wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would make the box out of sheet styrene and add the square ribs on the sides. 

I don't know about the kit skids as I have not built it.  They may be higher though as there are high landing gear and low landing gear options for actual MD500s.  US Army AH/MH-6s use the low gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

I would make the box out of sheet styrene and add the square ribs on the sides. 

I don't know about the kit skids as I have not built it.  They may be higher though as there are high landing gear and low landing gear options for actual MD500s.  US Army AH/MH-6s use the low gear.

 

Thanks Gino! I see if I can find a photo of that box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlie, it looks awesome, i like the band aid mesh in the seats, it gives a nice fabric look. The mounting of the armament is rock on too.

For the skids, this kit brings them a bit tall, try to cut them a little bit, but not too much.

Anyways, it looks fantastic.

Adelante Charlie!

Rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Charlie, it looks awesome, i like the band aid mesh in the seats, it gives a nice fabric look. The mounting of the armament is rock on too.

For the skids, this kit brings them a bit tall, try to cut them a little bit, but not too much.

Anyways, it looks fantastic.

Adelante Charlie!

Rod.

thanks hermano, you know I was about to cut them last night but dint want to mess the skids, any idea of how much should I cut in Centimeter my friend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say 2mm.

 

Rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, salvador001 said:

I would say 2mm.

 

Rod.

Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following Gino's Advice I did my best for that Box.. first time I deal with styrene 

t8ozv5.jpg

fodd6q.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good for your fist time using sheet styrene.  A few comments on it.  First, it is too short.  It should come up to the same height as the bulkhead behind the seats.  Look at the height in the pic from above.   It also looks too deep (front to rear).  Remember, you still have to fit the weapons plank in front of it.  Lastly, it should not have a "N" registration number on it.  "N" numbers are only for civilian aircraft.

 

EQG_heliah6_3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Looks good for your fist time using sheet styrene.  A few comments on it.  First, it is too short.  It should come up to the same height as the bulkhead behind the seats.  Look at the height in the pic from above.   It also looks too deep (front to rear).  Remember, you still have to fit the weapons plank in front of it.  Lastly, it should not have a "N" registration number on it.  "N" numbers are only for civilian aircraft.

 

EQG_heliah6_3.jpg

Thanks a lot for the info! My friend I'll fix that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Looks good for your fist time using sheet styrene.  A few comments on it.  First, it is too short.  It should come up to the same height as the bulkhead behind the seats.  Look at the height in the pic from above.   It also looks too deep (front to rear).  Remember, you still have to fit the weapons plank in front of it.  Lastly, it should not have a "N" registration number on it.  "N" numbers are only for civilian aircraft.

 

EQG_heliah6_3.jpg

 

Since nobody has mentioned it, that "box" is a Robertson fuel tank...

 

John Hairell

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, FM-Whip said:

 

Since nobody has mentioned it, that "box" is a Robertson fuel tank...

 

John Hairell

 

 

Thanks Jhon... never knew what that box is now I know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixing the Box 

125rlz7.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now