U.S. ARMY 1/48 MH-6J "Night Stalker" WIP (Somalia, 1993)

Looks like you are off to a good start.  One of the major changes with the MH-6s is the instrument panel.  It is totally different than what is in an MD500.  It is much more narrow.

MH-6JLittleBird2.jpg

13 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Looks like you are off to a good start.  One of the major changes with the MH-6s is the instrument panel.  It is totally different than what is in an MD500.  It is much more narrow.

MH-6JLittleBird2.jpg

Thanks my friend Gino for the picture... Ill try to have fun with this thing until the KH 1/48  huey is with us...

The landing gear attaches pretty much how it does in the kit.

shapeimage_49.jpg

Also, if you plan on leaving the pilot doors off, you need to trim them back to the lines in the fuselage.  As is, the opening is just for the window glass.  You may want to trim the rear door openings a bit too as they are a little sloppy and not all the way out to the door opening lines either.

I'm not sure what the fabric covered roll in the rear is supposed to be either.  On the AH-6J (armed, 5-blade rotor - as you are building) there is a square box in its place in the rear.  You can see it behind the M134 minigun ammo box in the pics below.

mh6_1.jpgEQG_heliah6_3.jpg

You can also see the box well in the rear of this later model AH-6M (6 blade main rotor, 4 blade tail rotor, larger rear door opening, among a few other upgrades).  The box is present on both models though.

AH6J-33.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
28 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

shapeimage_49.jpg

Also, if you plan on leaving the pilot doors off, you need to trim them back to the lines in the fuselage.  As is, the opening is just for the window glass.  You may want to trim the rear door openings a bit too as they are a little sloppy and not all the way out to the door opening lines either.

I'm not sure what the fabric covered roll in the rear is supposed to be either.  On the AH-6J (armed, 5-blade rotor - as you are building) there is a square box in its place in the rear.  You can see it behind the M134 minigun ammo box in the pic below.

You can also see the box well in the rear of this later model AH-6M (6 blade main rotor, 4 blade tail rotor, larger rear door opening, among a few other upgrades).  The box is the present on both models though.

AH6J-33.jpg

Thanks for the help Gino, Any Idea on how can I make this Box? Ill try to make it with aluminum and plastic.. but if you have any Idea on how to make it please let me know

30 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

shapeimage_49.jpg

I'm not sure what the fabric covered roll in the rear is supposed to be either.  On the AH-6J (armed, 5-blade rotor - as you are building) there is a square box in its place in the rear.  You can see it behind the M134 minigun ammo box in the pic below.

You can also see the box well in the rear of this later model AH-6M (6 blade main rotor, 4 blade tail rotor, larger rear door opening, among a few other upgrades).  The box is the present on both models though.

AH6J-33.jpg

Gino, thanks for the info on the skid.. I noticed that the kit is kind of highers than pictures you post or am I wrong?

I would make the box out of sheet styrene and add the square ribs on the sides. 

I don't know about the kit skids as I have not built it.  They may be higher though as there are high landing gear and low landing gear options for actual MD500s.  US Army AH/MH-6s use the low gear.

18 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

I would make the box out of sheet styrene and add the square ribs on the sides. 

I don't know about the kit skids as I have not built it.  They may be higher though as there are high landing gear and low landing gear options for actual MD500s.  US Army AH/MH-6s use the low gear.

Thanks Gino! I see if I can find a photo of that box

Charlie, it looks awesome, i like the band aid mesh in the seats, it gives a nice fabric look. The mounting of the armament is rock on too.

For the skids, this kit brings them a bit tall, try to cut them a little bit, but not too much.

Anyways, it looks fantastic.

Adelante Charlie!

Rod.

42 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Charlie, it looks awesome, i like the band aid mesh in the seats, it gives a nice fabric look. The mounting of the armament is rock on too.

For the skids, this kit brings them a bit tall, try to cut them a little bit, but not too much.

Anyways, it looks fantastic.

Adelante Charlie!

Rod.

thanks hermano, you know I was about to cut them last night but dint want to mess the skids, any idea of how much should I cut in Centimeter my friend?

Looks good for your fist time using sheet styrene.  A few comments on it.  First, it is too short.  It should come up to the same height as the bulkhead behind the seats.  Look at the height in the pic from above.   It also looks too deep (front to rear).  Remember, you still have to fit the weapons plank in front of it.  Lastly, it should not have a "N" registration number on it.  "N" numbers are only for civilian aircraft.

EQG_heliah6_3.jpg

9 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Looks good for your fist time using sheet styrene.  A few comments on it.  First, it is too short.  It should come up to the same height as the bulkhead behind the seats.  Look at the height in the pic from above.   It also looks too deep (front to rear).  Remember, you still have to fit the weapons plank in front of it.  Lastly, it should not have a "N" registration number on it.  "N" numbers are only for civilian aircraft.

EQG_heliah6_3.jpg

Thanks a lot for the info! My friend I'll fix that 

10 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

EQG_heliah6_3.jpg

Since nobody has mentioned it, that "box" is a Robertson fuel tank...

John Hairell

• CharlieUH-1H changed the title to U.S. ARMY 1/48 MH-6J "Night Stalker" WIP (Somalia, 1993)