Hobby Boss 1:48 Su-17 Fitter is out...

It's quite expensive in Europe it seems - only 5 EUR cheaper than the Kitty Hawk kit.

At that price, I wouldn't bet that it's a better value than the other kit, based on the level of detail seen in the sprue shots.

Edited by ijozic

I have "fondled" both the Kitty Hawk and Hobby Boss Su-17/22 kits, and I have a couple observations. First, the Kitty Hawk kit includes an amazing amount  of Russian-designed ordnance...basically, if it isn't in this kit, it probably doesn't exist. The Hobby Boss kit includes a representative amount of rocket tubes, bombs, and missiles, that will allow you to make the model look great; the kit just doesn't have the amount or variety  the Kitty Hawk kit has.

Second, and perhaps the deal-maker (or -breaker) is the multi-piece fuselage in the Kitty Hawk kit. as opposed to the Hobby Boss kit which includes a more traditional fuselage (one solid piece per side). I have seen Spencer Pollard's videos where he glues together the various Kitty Hawk fuselage pieces; that's just a lot of work to get to where the Hobby Boss kit starts off. Even though Spencer's technique looks promising, you just know that gluing together a rather long fuselage that has three big pieces per side is not going to yield perfection. 

The rest of the plastic in these two kits looks good, and either should build-up into a great-looking Fitter...it's just how much pain one whats to endure during the build process.

Edited by Marv
spelling

Having seen comparaison pics (not on a public site), the windscreen and canopy issue don't seem to be the only inaccuracies. Fuselage length and cross-section shape look strange.