What ! No new Tomcats from Tamiya ?????

why would they rush?

their 1/48 F-14A  is merely 6 month old... and still making the buzz...

LHS have to sell their stock, as for distributors, before bring another one...

moreover, the most *serious* opponent said it won't be ready before december, at best...

seems like plenty of time in front of Tamiya... to launch their F-14D before the competitor...

45 minutes ago, mingwin said:

why would they rush?

moreover, the most *serious* opponent said it won't be ready before december, at best...

seems like plenty of time in front of Tamiya... to launch their F-14D before the competitor...

Because if they were to announce a F-14A (Late)/F-14B kit for a November release they'd steal a TON of that other companies thunder. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Because if they were to announce a F-14A (Late)/F-14B kit for a November release they'd steal a TON of that other companies thunder. 

doubt that. I waiting for the Tamiya kits to hit the 25% off pile right now as everybody is waiting for the better kit. With 25% off and a set of A.M. wings you have a good start

gary

Given the engineering of the Tamiya kit, all they'd need to do a B or D is an extra sprue. So far, I've built two of the Tamiya Tomcats and have a third ready to go. I'l be quite excited for them to continue with the remaining types, but it's way too early for them just yet.

Well given its looking more and more like the Amk kit wont even get released fingers crossed for Tamiya doing a D, meanwhile Darren Roberts wil be doing well with his conversions...

17 hours ago, mingwin said:

why would they rush?

Exactly, and since when does Tamiya release new version of a kit within the first year?  if they do at all (thinking F-16D here) the 1/32 Corsairs have taken 5 years for 3 versions, and that's quick by current standards.

Also, they have had a lot of big release this week, 2 x 1/16 tanks, a F1 car, motorbike  several armour kits in 1/48 & 1/35, not to mention the Corsair D in 1/32, no need to add a F-14 into the mix when you have plenty of other stuff to shout about. 

For the AMK kit, have no doubt it will be released, just if it will be for the end of this year, of for sometime in 2018.

Edited by James Colley
16 hours ago, Swordsman422 said:

Given the engineering of the Tamiya kit, all they'd need to do a B or D is an extra sprue. So far, I've built two of the Tamiya Tomcats and have a third ready to go. I'l be quite excited for them to continue with the remaining types, but it's way too early for them just yet.

We all thought the same thing when it came to doing an F-16 "D" model. Just one extra sprue. 10+ years later....

NO SPRUE FOR YOU !!!!!!!

Agreed...as much as I would love to see the next Tamiya Tomcat, they now have all the time in the world after AMK announced that they can not get their act togther, unfortunately. Tamiys is clever, a new Tomact in November would be a massive strike against the competitor.

cheers

Uwe

On 2017-5-13 at 7:20 AM, ChesshireCat said:

doubt that. I waiting for the Tamiya kits to hit the 25% off pile right now as everybody is waiting for the better kit. With 25% off and a set of A.M. wings you have a good start

gary

Everyone? 

I don't think I've seen a new tool kit ever built in such numbers as the Tamiya Tomcat

1 hour ago, a4s4eva said:

Everyone? 

I don't think I've seen a new tool kit ever built in such numbers as the Tamiya Tomcat

100% Agree!

For all the "shortcomings" of the Tamiya F-14, I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a more pleasant build experience.  I love the simplicity and how everything just fits...perfectly.   I can assure you, there are many more who feel that way and are building their second and third kits (check out the 1/48 Tamiya Tomcat Facebook group), so I'm not sure "everyone" is waiting for the "better" kit.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
On 5/15/2017 at 8:22 AM, Falconxlvi said:

100% Agree!

For all the "shortcomings" of the Tamiya F-14, I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a more pleasant build experience.  I love the simplicity and how everything just fits...perfectly.   I can assure you, there are many more who feel that way and are building their second and third kits (check out the 1/48 Tamiya Tomcat Facebook group), so I'm not sure "everyone" is waiting for the "better" kit.  

Steve

Yeah me too, the best kit I've ever built, nothing has come close. As for shortcomings I've not come across anything but smart engineering

On 5/15/2017 at 7:47 AM, ChesshireCat said:

I have seen several

gary

Of course you have.......