Navy Squadron Group Build  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join in and which Three squadron's do you want?

• VFA-14
    • VFA-31
    • VFA-103
    • VFA-115
    • VFA-41
    • VFA-151
  2. 2. Would you be interested in this build?

• Yes
    • no

Is anyone interested in a group build that will high light three Navy Squadron? I am willing to moderate this group build. Dates will be determined if we get enough votes for the group build. If we do get to have this group build I will be looking for a volunteer to help moderate. If you are interested let me know.

The rules are listed below: Subject to change with input from the group.

1- All scales allowed

2- Must be the top 3 squadron voted on.

3- Can be any aircraft that the squadron has flown. This includes if the squadrons history number was different before getting the newest number.                                                    Example: When VF-84 disestablished VF-103 took over the Jolly Rogers name as VFA-103. VF-23 became VFA-151 and so forth.

4- After market items are allowed.

5- No what if's allowed

Prizes: I really don't want to go and ask for stuff. It will be on a purely volunteer bases. So if anyone want's to donate to this group build please contact me after we find out if we get to have this group build.

I know there are more squadrons out there these were what I could think of off the top of my head. If we get enough people asking to add another squadron to the list we can do that I believe.

Edited by tosouthern66

Its your group build and a good idea. But you might want to go with the top three winning squadrons. So you do not limit the amount of participants too much.

I'll do it if it's VFA-211. Oh wait, I'm already doing that! :-) I absolutely love the idea, but as phantom said, just one squadron is a bit restrictive. It's like a decal sheet. If the one subject on a sheet isn't what people want, you won't sell many. Let's brainstorm some different ways to make your idea work, because it's a good one. A good choice of a squadron would be one that has been around for quite awhile. A squadron like VFA-11, -14 or -31 would provide many different aircraft choices dating to pre-WWII. 

4 hours ago, Spectre711 said:

Maybe if you had an Air Wing it would be more diverse?

Now that's a cool idea. An air wing could encompass a number of different aircraft types and even span over decades. I have two books on the history of CVW-1. It goes all the way back to the 30's. Something like that would be a lot of fun. Don't pick CVW-8, though. Phantom has already done his own group build! :-)

While any Wing/Group would give a lot of variety of aircraft types and eras, Wings 2, 9, and 14 would give you the most options per Wing/Group. 5 and 11 had very long periods of time where they had the same squadrons and aircraft types assigned, so you would mostly be doing just a "can you find the decals?" group build.

Some of the other Wings have been disestablished, and any LANT Wing would only have a limited Vietnam combat time, compared to the PAC Wings,,,,,,which would not be a problem for some, I suppose. (not all modelers are Vietnam Phantom builders, lol)

But, wings like 1 and 3 have very long histories to play with, with some 'Nam time for each. 2, 4, 6, 17, 12, etc, don't have such long histories as others.

10 hours ago, Spectre711 said:

Maybe if you had an Air Wing it would be more diverse?

Spectre

If this one doesn't get enough votes I'll start another one for the wings. If I go with wings then I would choose CVW-5 that is where I started my NAVY service and loved it there. Thanks for the input!

Edited by tosouthern66
1 hour ago, phantom said:

If its wings. CVW-8.

Only one I build.

Did you not see my post phantom? No CVW-8 allowed. :-) It's time to break out of your rut. It's time to expand your horizons. It's time to build something from.....a different air wing! Then, since you can't keep it in your collection, you can promptly send it to me. :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Did you not see my post phantom? No CVW-8 allowed. :-) It's time to break out of your rut. It's time to expand your horizons. It's time to build something from.....a different air wing! Then, since you can't keep it in your collection, you can promptly send it to me. :thumbsup:

LOL, if we do get to do a GB on squadrons and or Air Wings Phantom will have the 1st model done before we can get the thread set up!

111 could possibly make the list. I think I need to re do this poll, what do you all think? Should I re do the post to see if we can get enough for a GB 1st then poll those willing to join in what squadrons it will be?

Why not just make it a "USN VF Squadron" Group Build? Then if a guy wants to build a VF-53 or VF-54 Demon, he can join, as can a VFA-131 Hornet modeler.

Make it "any VF, only", to keep out the VA Skyhawk riff-raff, lol. (and then he can sneak in a VSF Skyhawk anyway, haha)

3 minutes ago, Rex said:

Why not just make it a "USN VF Squadron" Group Build? Then if a guy wants to build a VF-53 or VF-54 Demon, he can join, as can a VFA-131 Hornet modeler.

Make it "any VF, only", to keep out the VA Skyhawk riff-raff, lol. (and then he can sneak in a VSF Skyhawk anyway, haha)

Don't forget VFC-12, VFC-13, VF-43, VF-45 and VF-126

I was just showing an example, there are plenty to actually "list." ("VF only" would in theory include Darren's Skyhawk, if he hadn't built it already)

Hmmm, what to do with the smart-aleck that wants to build a VA-156 Tiger??

(to be clear, I was poking fun at myself with the VA riff-raff line, not any famous A-7 guys, lol)

Edited by Rex

I like this idea. If there is a moderator who encourages participation and makes it fun, I would be down for it. 

Just please not 103. So sick of seeing the skull and bones. How's about some VF-142 love, eh? Yellow stripes on tomcat tails look so good! 

43 minutes ago, RKic said:

Hey, what happened? You seemed to generate a good deal of interest. 

RKic

After talking to others and reading the comments on this idea I came to the conclusion that I need to tweek this idea. There are too many squadrons to list and we want maximum participation in this GB. So in order to get to where I wanted this GB to be I came up with a new idea. I'll be posting a new poll with the new GB . It will encompass this GB idea with it. My idea for this GB was to be able to build any aircraft that the chosen squadrons had flown in the past. Right now I need to decided what date to use for the cut off on squadrons commissioning. There will still be some squadrons that don't meet the new idea due to their newness, but several of the ones suggested and listed above will make it. I hope you understand.