1/48 Zoukei Mura F-4C and F-4D

55 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

You mean like this ....  [said in response to mingwin that "neither late F-4C nor early F-4D have the nosecone fairing installed"].

Beautiful F-4D portrait, Craig (the airplane and the photography). Thanks.

Any idea how many "late" F-4Cs had that radome? I've only heard of a few "borrows".

Gene K

46 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Beautiful F-4D portrait, Craig (the airplane and the photography). Thanks.

Any idea how many "late" F-4Cs had that radome? I've only heard of a few "borrows".

Gene K

Ooooooo I only wish I photographed that one. Although I did several photo-shoots at Hector Field, that one I pulled off Wiki. Most of my Phantom photo stock is in Kodachrome format. I saw the 119th transition from ADC grey to the last low vis grey and they had several with the smooth nose but previously had the "normal" D radome. Most of Fargo's D's were early batch models.

When the Z-M F-4C/D hits the mailorder shelves, I plan on getting at least 2. One for the Hooligan markings and a certain Cam Ranh Bay bird.

42 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

When the Z-M F-4C/D hits the mailorder shelves, I plan on getting at least 2. One for the Hooligan markings and a certain Cam Ranh Bay bird.

If you need decals, I have a "spare" Cam Rahn set to use on your build log. :cheers:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
14 hours ago, dehowie said:

Re rear fuselage of the ZM kit its been discussed to death elsewhere and the consensus is its as close to spot on and far more accurate in the rear end than any F-4 kit ever released Academy being a close second. Why fix whats not broken..

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, SonyKen said:

So what is wrong with the rear fuselage of the ZM kit?

Actual airplane: see how the spine and engine bulges start to blend in front of the small access panel? (top corner of the 'N' in Navy). It actually starts around the 'W' in Midway. See how, by the time you get back to the panel line between the 'F' and the '-' in VF-21, the sharp crease has blended out to a smooth, shallow curve. And it's fully blended by the panel line running through the 'Y' in Navy 

[linked image]

ZM kit: now compare those same three points on the model The blend starts behind the small access panel. It actually starts just ahead of that panel between the F and -. And it still has a noticeable crease at the 'Y' panel line. 

[linked image]

The ZM kit is, overall, very good.  It's not perfect, and it can be improved upon. 

Mo, I am loving the irony of that model pic.

I don't think it is a deal breaker concerning that rear end. But, it is very hard to ignore the fact that is certainly larger on the model than on the real thing. I have seen a fix with some sanding, and that model pic sure points out that it is needed for an accurate looking Phantom. But, until a B comes out, and folks start sticking the "Super Sonic Can Opener" decals on it,,,,it might not show all that much when viewing a finished model. VF-51 F-4B decal makers better brace for a round of "your decals aren't any good", because you can see that if the decals fit a converted Hasegawa or an Academy, they won't look right on the Z-M,,,,,,or vice versa.

Only the old guys will get this, but, it sure looks that the model kit is perfectly suited for a "WM" tail code, as it does exhibit a certain resemblance to a "WAM' or "BAM" area. (both are nicknames that made my Marine Aunt ready to fight, lol)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2017 at 6:02 PM, viper730 said:

...  just give me some RF Versions...:thumbsup: Oh and the S  ... .

The S is available now for preorder at Volks US for $75 ... but be prepared to shell out $20 for shipping.:angry:

Release date is tentatively listed as July 26th 2017.

Gene K

3 hours ago, Gene K said:

The S is available now for preorder at Volks US for $75 ... but be prepared to shell out $20 for shipping.:angry:

Release date is tentatively listed as July 26th 2017.

Gene K

$46.00 to Canada from Bolks USA. Only $20 to Canada from Volks Japan though. Go figure, greater distance = less postage.

I have pre-ordered.

On 5/14/2017 at 5:14 AM, phantomdriver said:

I was looking at the shots from Shizuoka, unless the shown model is a prototype, then the rear fuselage error still exists..

I will go out on a limb and say that the "error" will stay that way no matter how many more releases they continue with.

And I will add my name to the list of people who will happily buy one anyway.

• 2 months later...

Just judging from the pics of the kits cockpits, if they give the  USAF versions the same treatment, I'll save up and get a C and E. I gave up on the Hasegawa kits given I had to buy more resin than the kit was worth and usually ended trashing the kits trying to get the Aires sets to fit and look right,the cockpit sets never looked like the ones I crewed and the details were too petite to my eye. The big things I look at in a Phantom kit are the cockpit, intake,wheels, and exhaust since I had countless hours with my head stuck in them.

Hi everyone!  Just a note on the ZM kits, accessories, and other 1/48 scale items.   

We we are going full speed with intakes and exhaust nozzles for the ZM Phantoms.  The 25 sets of each sold out in a hour at the rescent IPMS NATS.  Look for them in a few weeks.  In addition a complete F-4B/N conversion set will be out in a month for the F-4J Kit.  It will be similar to our 1/32 Super Set in providing parts for all B/N configurations.   I have already built a test build as post in the display section here on ARC.

In addition, we will have intakes available for Academy and Hasegawa Phantoms in the next couple of months.  These will feature detailed 2 part splitter plates with cable cutters,  fans, and pitots.  The intakes will have the modern details to match the Academy kit that are lacking in other currently produced brands. 

We will also be release if exhaust nozzles and exhaust sets for all three brands of 1/48 Phantoms.

I will post seperate a thread as we get closer to release with pics of all of these.

thx

Gary

GT Resin Products

Edited by ghatherly

So is the ZM Phantom really soo much better than Academy's B/N that it is worth modifying it instead of beefing up an Academy with some smaller parts? Intakes seem to be needed on every model due to the limitation with injection molded plastic...

thanks

Uwe

Yes it is.   The Acadey wing has incorrect panel lines and details ,  chin pods are wrong shape,  tail fin caps are wrong shape,  and with Academy you need a Resin Cockpit, Wheels, Wheel wells, and main gear doors to start,  not to mention no cockpit sill or canopy frames of any sort.  If you look at my build you can see what a finished model will look like.   I have not even mentioned the errors in the nose of the Academy kit ( too small in cross section and profile).

With the ZM none of these AM items wil be necessary,  as everything will be in the conversion set to compliment the kit with just B/N componenants.   Will it be cheaper?  Don't know but having built all three brands only the ZM's are enjoyable to build.  Seams are hidden and minimized,  parts align easily, and the detail is on par with what we do intesin.  Really the only thing you need are seat belts!

hope this helps

Gary

GT Resin

Edited by ghatherly
41 minutes ago, ghatherly said:

Hi everyone!  Just a note on the ZM kits, accessories, and other 1/48 scale items.   

We we are going full speed with intakes and exhaust nozzles for the ZM Phantoms.  The 25 sets of each sold out in a hour at the resent IPMS NATS.  Look for them in a few weeks.  In addition a complete F-4B/N conversion set will be out in a month for the F-4J Kit.  It will be similar to our 1/32 Super Set in providing parts for all B/N configurations.   I have already built a test build as post in the display section here on ARC.

Really looking forward to these accessories! I am building a ZM F-4J  right now and I really like it so when the F-4D comes out I will get the intkes will save a lot of work! Do you have a mailing list so I will know when your accessories are ready?

Thanks