1/48 Zoukei Mura F-4C and F-4D

51 minutes ago, Janissary said:

Markings and other details from ZM:

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/products/sws48_06_f4c.html

GOOD GRIEF!! Someone at ZM/Volks should really (!) ask an English speaking person
who has some knowledge of airplanes to proof product descriptions ... .
For example, on the page linked above (that has the descriptions of the differences between a  C and J&S models)
there are errors such as: calling the Air Refueling
Receptacle an "Oil Receptacle"; the location pointed to for "Cartridge
Starter" is not even close to where it should be; etc; etc; etc.

Makes an absolutely thoroughly  researched product appear not so.

Gene K

41 minutes ago, Gene K said:

GOOD GRIEF!! Someone at ZM/Volks should really (!) ask an English speaking person
who has some knowledge of airplanes to proof product descriptions ... .
For example, on the page linked above (that has the descriptions of the differences between a  C and J&S models)
there are errors such as: calling the Air Refueling
Receptacle an "Oil Receptacle"; the location pointed to for "Cartridge
Starter" is not even close to where it should be; etc; etc; etc.

Makes an absolutely thoroughly  researched product appear not so.

Gene K

As a professional writer, pilot, and Phantom enthusiast, I'd be happy to preview and edit their product descriptions. It would just cost them a kit per job. :naughty:

Ben

So I want to build F-4D 66-7551:

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1041914

Anybody know if ZM F-4C include everything to build the above D? I think ZM is doing a separate D boxing (based on the pic in the first post of this thread). But, I don't care about the LORAN antenna on the spine as what I am interested in doesn't have it.

If I'm not mistaken, the only issue is the herpes mod antenna fairing under the nose. Does the ZM C boxing have this updated fairing? I think in the Academy C boxing, you get all the D parts too, but not sure how this is with ZM. 

TIA.

Sorry to come to this thread late, but are you guys 100% sure about Olds' "C" not having a IR sensor?   You can just see where the sensor fairing starts in the bottom pic.

OLDS-Robin-Colonel-USAF-with-pilots-of-5

050811-F-1234P-035.JPG

blog-110330-f-dw547-020.jpg

McDonnell-F-4C-21-MC-Phantom-II-63-7680.

Edited by BoeingDriver
10 hours ago, Janissary said:

Anybody know if ZM F-4C include everything to build the above D? I think ZM is doing a separate D boxing (based on the pic in the first post of this thread). But, I don't care about the LORAN antenna on the spine as what I am interested in doesn't have it.

If I'm not mistaken, the only issue is the herpes mod antenna fairing under the nose. Does the ZM C boxing have this updated fairing? I think in the Academy C boxing, you get all the D parts too, but not sure how this is with ZM. 

TIA.

The C model sensor in on sprue K, part K2 and there is no D model sensor part there. I have not gone over every part but did not see it there. The D is not that far behind in release if I remember correctly.

Edited by Craig Baldwin
22 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

Sorry to come to this thread late, but are you guys 100% sure about Olds' "C" not having a IR sensor?   You can just see where the sensor fairing starts in the bottom pic.

OLDS-Robin-Colonel-USAF-with-pilots-of-5

050811-F-1234P-035.JPG

blog-110330-f-dw547-020.jpg

McDonnell-F-4C-21-MC-Phantom-II-63-7680.

It was Gen Olds aircraft in Operation Bolo that did not have the sensor not his aircraft from later during his time in Vietnam.

Edited by dehowie
On 9/30/2017 at 12:40 PM, Ben Brown said:

I'd be happy to preview and edit their [ZM] product descriptions. It would just cost them a kit per job. :naughty:

Me too!! :thumbsup:

Along those same lines (but seriously), I was bemused and amused at last year's IPMS Nationals watching a couple of brash modellers obsequiously fawning The Old Man trying to get free kits in return for "reviews". He graciously took their names.

The ZM "crew" and their displays at IPMS shows are always a highlight for me!

Gene K

On 10/1/2017 at 8:31 AM, Craig Baldwin said:

The C model sensor in on sprue K, part K2 and there is no D model sensor part there. I have not gone over every part but did not see it there. The D is not that far behind in release if I remember correctly.

Thank you. I will wait for the D boxing then. 

1 hour ago, Janissary said:

Thank you. I will wait for the D boxing then. 

The link you provided for aircraft 66-7551 is a D late in it's life. The D model ZM has shown in it's test shot is LORAN equipped. Seeing that ZM only have provided one unit marking per release so far, you will still have to modify that nose from what the kit will likely provide.

On 10/2/2017 at 10:38 AM, Craig Baldwin said:

The link you provided for aircraft 66-7551 is a D late in it's life. The D model ZM has shown in it's test shot is LORAN equipped. Seeing that ZM only have provided one unit marking per release so far, you will still have to modify that nose from what the kit will likely provide.

I see what you mean. I could not find it earlier, but the particular markings I have in mind is here:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8009/7415608730_8cd0cdde26_b.jpg 

I think I see the herpes chin pod, is that correct? So you don't expect that fairing to be in the ZM D boxing? 

If I am not mistaken, Academy F-4C boxing has all the parts for their D also. And as far as I can tell, it does not have the herpes mod:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/aca/pages/aca_12294_parts1.shtml

So, unless ZM plans to include it, it looks like there is no OOB option for the above D, am I correct?

On 10/4/2017 at 10:23 AM, Janissary said:

So, unless ZM plans to include it, it looks like there is no OOB option for the above D, am I correct?

Yes, AirDoc did a resin replacement nose but that was some time ago and would be difficult to find. I still think it is not that hard to scratch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 12:40 PM, Ben Brown said:

As a professional writer, pilot, and Phantom enthusiast, I'd be happy to preview and edit their product descriptions.

:thumbsup:

Maybe you could also proof the instructions.

cfUmWsy.jpg

(the kit parts are good)

Gene K

(lest I'm misunderstood, I really admire ZMs attention to detail, including in their instructions)

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, torchf4 said:

Cool! Is that a local fab gun camera???

I think there were a number of camera configurations used, some lesser known but likely brought in the proper channels. Gene K could likely shed more light on this subject, I remember him having a link to a number of camera configurations.

Hi All,

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary, from GT Resin, at RDUCON, today. He says he has a lot of 1/48 F-4 goodies in the works for the Z-M, Academy, and I assume Hasegawa kits. He's going to be scaling down many of his 1/32 F-4 parts and adapting them to the current crop of 1/48 kits. He specifically mentioned short afterburner nozzles for the Z-M kits, and an ALQ-101 pod. I picked up a set of intakes for the Z-M kit, and they look great! While you can probably get away with just filling the seams on the kit intakes, these will just drop in and save a lot of time and effort. The design and casting quality look every bit as good as something you'd see from DMold, which I've always thought was the gold standard for seamless intakes. I'm looking forward to picking up a set of Gary's short F-4 nozzles for the Z-M kit for my Blue Angels F-4J project. I wasn't impressed with Eduard's (nozzles too thick, PE didn't fit).  

Cheers!

Ben (no affiliation with GT Resin, etc)