1/48 Hasegawa A-4M Skyhawk, VMA-131 Diamondbacks, 1993

Hi everyone!

Back again to share my latest completed project, the 1/48 Hasegawa A-4M Skyhawk in Lo-Viz VMA-131 Diamondbacks markings from 1993.   had the bright idea to add the Aires cockpit... what a mistake that was!  I had only a couple of months ago used my first Aires pit (on a Tamiya F-16C Aggressor), and while it did take some work to fit, was not too much of a hassle.  This one was nothing but a hassle.  It took me more than an entire week to just get it to sorta fit in there.  I had to hack up the plastic sides, the nose gear well, and the pit itself to shoehorn it in.  Considering it usually take me just over three weeks to build an entire kit, a week fitting a cockpit alone is a huge time sink for me.  So if you are considering the Aires cockpit for the Hasegawa A-4, DON'T.  You have been warned!  LOL  I will not buy another Aires pit, however I will still use the ones I currently already have.

The issue with the cockpit really took the wind out of my sails, and I must admit I rushed the construction a bit. So the seams and steps are not all perfectly attended to.  All pics I have seen of this exact bird show it to be rather dirty and worn, so I tired to replicate that.  I am happy with how the weathering turned out, despite the fact it is rather heavy.

Kit: 1/48 Hasegawa A-4M Skyhawk

Decals: Furball Aero Design "Lo Viz Devil Dog Scooters"

Aftermarket: Aires A-4M Cockpit set, Hasegawa Weapons Sets A and B

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (primer base),  Tamiya Liquid White Primer (for marble coat), Gunze Aqueous FS 36495 Light Gray, FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray, FS 36320 Dark Ghost Gray, Tamiya Rubber Black, Clear Red, Clear Green, and Smoke, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Airframe Aluminum, and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

Now on to the pics, I hope you like!

345670-16625-27.jpg

345665-16625-58.jpg

345673-16625-64.jpg

345674-16625-35.jpg

345675-16625-80.jpg

345677-16625-25.jpg

345679-16625-55.jpg

345680-16625-70.jpg

That is one of the most realistic "in service" finishes I have seen in a long time.  It really sets you finished product above and beyond.  Great job and thanks for sharing your work.

C2j

Beautiful beautiful job. I've only recently accepted the A-4 into my stash and library and that aircraft with that scheme is one of the main reasons. They look just so bad a@@ in that low-vis paint. I can only hope mine turn out that well.

Great job on your Hawk! I'm glad you didn't let the Aires cockpit get the best of you. I have the same cockpit set so now I know what to expect. Guess this is what happens when reaching production milestones and reaping the financial gains takes precedence over quality. I think a lot of modelers have a love-hate relationship with Aires because their products are beautiful but fit is ALWAYS a challenge. Anyway, i think your build inspired me and my next build just might be the A-4M.

Elmo

On 5/13/2017 at 7:09 PM, Cubs2jets said:

That is one of the most realistic "in service" finishes I have seen in a long time.  It really sets you finished product above and beyond.  Great job and thanks for sharing your work.

C2j

Thanks C2j!  That is about as awesome of a compliment anyone can receive.  I am humbled by your kind words. 

On 5/13/2017 at 7:37 PM, Darren Roberts said:

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There it is!  It is not a successful build if I don't see a Noice!!!!!!!!! in my comments.  Thanks Darren, I appreciate all the exclamation points!  :-)

On 5/13/2017 at 9:25 PM, GreyGhost said:

Very Nice !

A-4s 4-Ever!

-Gregg

Thanks Gregg, I appreciate the kind words from a true A-4 fan!

On 5/14/2017 at 2:20 AM, IJ001 said:

Very nicely executed. Like this a lot.

Ian.

Thanks Ian, I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

On 5/14/2017 at 11:04 AM, Whiskey said:

Beautiful beautiful job. I've only recently accepted the A-4 into my stash and library and that aircraft with that scheme is one of the main reasons. They look just so bad a@@ in that low-vis paint. I can only hope mine turn out that well.

Thanks Whiskey!  I also love the A-4 in lo-viz schemes, and when I saw this particular scheme I knew I had to do it.  I look forward to seeing yours!  I will keep my eyes open for your build, I hope you share it.

On 5/14/2017 at 11:18 AM, Joerg said:

Wonderful Scooter. Really like your finish!

:thumbsup:

Joerg

Thanks Jeorg, I appreciate the compliment!

On 5/14/2017 at 1:04 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

Man that is awesome! Some great weathering!

thanks Whitey!  I feel like my weathering is become one of my strong suits, along with metalwork.  I just wish I could get my construction up to par.  I will keep working on that!!!  :-)

On 5/14/2017 at 4:28 PM, Jack Here said:

Now that's what I want mine to look like. Superb modelling all the way. 

Jack

Thanks Jack!  I hope to see your build some day.  If you ever have any questions about any of my painting or weathering techniques, fire away!

On 5/14/2017 at 9:02 PM, longmc said:

Whoo Wee! that's some outstanding weathering right there! 

It's tough to pull off a low vis dirty, worn paint job without over doing it. You nailed it!

Man, thank you so much my friend for the wonderful compliment.  Funny thing, when I am weathering a jet I feel should be dirtier than my normal build, I really start getting nervous that I am overdoing it.  I had the same feeling when I was doing my previous build, the ICM MiG-25.  I feel that is a good thing, that keeps me from going to far, which I really don't want to do.

On 5/14/2017 at 10:41 PM, wardog said:

Great job on your Hawk! I'm glad you didn't let the Aires cockpit get the best of you. I have the same cockpit set so now I know what to expect. Guess this is what happens when reaching production milestones and reaping the financial gains takes precedence over quality. I think a lot of modelers have a love-hate relationship with Aires because their products are beautiful but fit is ALWAYS a challenge. Anyway, i think your build inspired me and my next build just might be the A-4M.

Elmo

Elmo... I am truly honored to have you compliment on my build.  I hate to gush like a star-struck teenager, but man your work is just so amazing.  To think that I could inspire YOU has really made my day.

But you are so right about Aires.  I love the detail, it is often amazing, but getting it to fit is never easy, and almost always frustrating.  Is it worth it?  In the case of my F-16, I feel it was.  In the case of this build, if I could go back I would definitely not have done it.  But at the same time, I do feel a nice sense of accomplishment that I did not let it beat me.

15 hours ago, Dutch said:

Absolutley stunning!  Now I am jealous!

Thanks Dutch, that is a very nice compliment!  I remember when I first got into modelling and saw all the awesome builds here, I was so jealous of the skills I saw.  Now, to think I can elicit that kind of great compliment myself,is very satisfying. 

15 hours ago, coneheadff said:

What a beauty!!!!

Thanks conehead, I appreciate you taking the time to compliment my work!

5 hours ago, Henry Wong said:

Love it. Makes me want to build a scooter.

Thanks Henry!  I think someone finding inspiration from my work to be the best compliment one can receive.

4 hours ago, usmcski6502 said:

Not an easy scheme to pull off and weather successfully.  I did a similar scheme on my big Trumpeter Skyhawk, so I can certainly appreciate the effort!  Looks great!

Semper Fi,

Ski

Thanks Ski!  I would love to see your Skyhawk, you should post a link if you have any pics online, or post pics here in this thread if you want. 

Here's some quick pics of my big Scooter.  Not as nice as yours, but I can appreciate the work that went into making your great looking low-vis scheme!  My biggest challenge was there aren't ANY low-viz markings in 1/32 that I know of.  I had to get a little creative to get what you see here, but that's another story.  If anyone wants to hear it, let me know and I'll start another thread.

Great job again!!!

Semper,

Ski

10661640_920478511299891_6830751740309500275_o.jpg

Edited by usmcski6502

Wow, really?  I'm flattered!  I don't think anyone's ever told me my work was an inspiration, I sincerely appreciate it!  I'll go over my old (crappy) photographs of the build and try to get a thread pulled together.  

Thanks again, but I think I like yours better!

Semper Fi,

Ski