1/72 Italeri vs Hobby Boss UH-1B, an OOB comparison

Since there seems to be renewed interest in the Huey on here, I thought I would post this detailed review of these two kits with a OOB build at the end of both. Remember that the Tamiya 1/72 UH-1B is simply a reboxing of the Italeri kit.  This will most likely take several posts so bear with me.  If you aren't a rivet counter, I'll save you from all the extra reading by saying that both have inaccuracies, but the Hobby Boss kit is the easiest build and compares favorably to the Italeri kit when finished.  If you want the gory details, read on.

The first thing to know is that both the Italeri and Hobby Boss UH-1C kits have the wrong main rotor (the same one from the UH-1B kits actually), and cannot  be built even remotely accurately OOB, so I am only considering the UH-1B boxings in this review.  The engine/transmission fairing pieces from the UH-1C kits can be used on the UH-1B kit though to build a late model UH-1B as they have the particle separator built into them.

First up the box art.  The Hobby Boss kit has art showing a UH-1B medevac with rockets!  Good thing we don't judge models by their box art.  The Italeri kit shows an actual early UH-1B heavy hog from Vietnam named "Big Train" and depicts her accurately.

Figure%201%20box%20tops_zps74v0dvcp.jpg

Next let's looks at the kits sprues.  First up, the Hobby Boss kit:

Figure%203-1%20Hobby%20boss%20sprue-1_zp

Figure%203-2%20Hobby%20Boss%20Sprue%202_

Figure%203-3%20Hobby%20Boss%20sprue%204_

Figure%203-4%20Hobby%20Boss%20sprue%203_

Figure%203-5%20Hobby%20boss%20clear%20sp

The big plus with the Hobby Boss kit is all the extra weapons you get.  You can build virtually every common Vietnam weapon configuration with what's in this kit.  Also, it is convenient to have the greenhouse windows, cockpit windows and pilot door windows all in one part, but keep in mind this makes opening the cockpit doors quite a challenge.

Now the Italeri sprues:

Figure%202-1%20Italeri%20sprue%201_zpsqm

Figure%202-2%20Italeri%20sprue%202_zpsk8

Figure%202-3%20Italeri%20clear%20sprue_z

The biggest differences between the two kits is obviously the lack of weapons options, other than the M3 and M5 systems, in the Italeri kit and the totally separate clear parts for the various cockpit windows.

Hobby Boss decals:

Figure%203-6%20Hobby%20boss%20decals_zps

Italeri decals:

Figure%202-4%20Italeri%20decals_zpsgeucm

For my money there is no contest here.  The Italeri decals are superior in every way to the Hobby Boss decals.  Personally I am almost always looking for some aftermarket marking option, but if you are building OOB, the Italeri markings have better color, more accurate fonts and more accurate stars and bars.

Next up we will start a detailed review of what's in the kit.

Ray  

Edited by rotorwash

We'll start with the fuselages.  Italeri will always be dark green and Hobby Boss will will be tan.  Notice that the Hobby Boss kit has recessed rivets while the Italeri kit has raised rivets.

Figure%205-1%20fuselages_zpsx81htcgs.jpg

So how do the kit parts compare to an actual UH-1B.  First up the Hobby Boss kit compared to a UH-1B on display at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky.

Figure%205-2%20HB%20fuselage%20superimpo

Keeping in mind that my original photo was probably not perfectly 90 degrees to horizontal, the Hobby Boss kit looks pretty spot on in terms of profile.

Now for Italeri:

Figure%205-3%20Italeri%20fuselage%20supe

Once again the italeri kit is spot on in profile.

One small point about the tail.  Italeri molds the tail as a separate part so they can put a different tail in the UH-1C kit.  The tail in the Italeri UH-1B kit has the correct single position light used on the UH-1B while the tail on the Hobby Boss kit lacks this position light.  Here is what it looks like on the original aircraft.

Figure%205-4%20Uh-1B%20tail_zpsagqcvuts.

Next let's look at the left and right fuselage on a real UH-1B:

Figure%205-5%20real%20fuselage%20rt%20si

figure%205-6%20real%20fuselage%20lt%20si

Compare these pics to the fuselage shots above and you will see that neither Italeri or Hobby Boss got the kick step placement exactly correct as both are missing one or the other of the upper ones. Also, both the Italeri and Hobby Boss kits have a place for a left handed fuel filler, a notch in the Italeri kit and a scribed circle in Hobby Boss kit.  Both are incorrect for the UH-1B as the UH-1B has a right handed fuel filler.  The right side of the Italeri kit is actually different from the left and does not have this indention while the Hobby Boss kit has identical fuselage halves with the scribed fuel filler in the same place on both sides.  However, it's too high for the UH-1B even on the right side.

Next up the engine  and transmission cowlings:

Figure%205-7%20engine%20cowling_zpsvpojm

These parts show off the rivet detail differences very well between the two kits.  While the Italeri kit has rivets that are probably too prominent, the Hobby Boss part lacks any rivet detail whatsoever.  Also the join line of the Italeri part is much closer to the reall aircraft than the Hobby Boss part.  However, I can tell you from personal experience that the Hobby Boss part fit's much nicer and more securely than the Italeri part.  Overall though the Italeri part is the more accurate.

Next up, the rotors.  To me the rotors are one of the most important parts of any helicopter build.  If they look wrong, it just affects the whole model.  With that in mind here are the Italeri and Hobby Boss rotors.

figure%206-1%20rotors-1_zpsx1hbukge.jpg

Figure%206-2%20rotors-2_zpsc4l0g4zj.jpg

First some general comments about the two rotors.  Notice that both rotors are the same length, and in this regard both are 4 scale feet short!  The correct diameter for the main rotor on the UH-1B is 44 ft but these both scale out to 40 ft.  Not a huge difference in 1/72 scale but it is noticeable.  Just for grins here is what a corrected Italeri rotor looks like next to the original part.  I used a donor Hassegawa UH-1H kit for this build, but now I just add an additional piece from a donor Italeri UH-1C kit since that rotor is useless anyway.  Also, the Italeri and Hobby Boss main rotors lack the trim tabs on the leading edge of the rotor blade. 

PICT4636.jpg

You will also notice that the Hobby Boss kit has droop molded into the rotor.  That's a great thing right?  Well here's the comparison to an actual UH-1B main rotor.

Figure%206-4%20Hobby%20Boss%20rotor%20co

As you can see, the actual UH-1B cones up at the blade root and there is little if any droop to the blades.  So how about the Italeri rotor?

Figure%206-5%20Italeri%20rotors%20compar

Other than being too short the Italeri main rotor looks nearly spot on in profile in my opinion.  One piece lacking in both kits are the blade counterweights which are characteristic for the UH-1B (indicated by the red arrow in this photo)

Figure%206-6%20real%20rotor_zpsx1oiun07.

Next up is a comparison of the two rotorheads and the details of the blade roots.  Notice the scalloping of the blade roots indicated  by the blue arrow above.  As you can see below the scalloping is totally absent on the Hobby Boss blade but well represented by the Italeri part (red arrows below).

Figure%206-3_zps5m3wadg1.jpg

Looking even closer, notice how the two rotorheads compare to the real thing.  I apologize for the poor job of cropping out the parts this was done several years ago, and for the darkness of the Italeri part, but take my word for it, the Italeri rotorhead is much closer to the real thing.

Figure%206-7%20HB%20rotorhead%20compare-

Figure%206-8%20Italeri%20rotorhead%20com

Next up is the interior.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

On to the interior.  Here is the Hobby Boss interior parts:

Figure%207-1%20HB%20Interior_zpszmkvm7z0

And the Italeri interior:

figure%207-2%20Italeri%20interior_zpsoc4

Now for the details. First up the cabin/cockpit floors.  The engineering of the Hobby Boss floor insures a superb and positive fit to the components.  While the Hobby Boss kit lacks any floor detail altogether, the Itaeri kit has tie down rings molded to the floor.  They are oversized however.  

Figure%207-3%20floors_zpsxjaew6gc.jpg

Here are the rear cabin walls.  The italeri kit has the "curtains" like the Monogram Huey Hog kit molded to the rear wall.  these are actually supposed to be the back of the bench seat, but they were virtually never used on operation Hueys in Vietnam.  The Hobby Boss kit does not have the molded seat back and even has some approximation of the interior quilted pattern on the soundproofing.  However, the detail is way over scale and the big hole for the transmission takes a lot away form the effect.

figure%207-4%20rear%20bulkhead_zpsjurl6q

Just for comparison, here is the UH-1B on display at the US Army Aviation Museum and you can see the seat back depicted in the Italeri kit.  As I mentioned, it would have only been used on the earliest UH-1Bs in Vietnam.

Figure%207-5%20Real%20cabin%20bulkhead%2

Here is what the rear cabin of many UH-1Bs would have looked like with the diamond padding.  The piece of padding folded down here allows access to the transmission panel.  Many UH-1Bs in Vietnam flew with no padding whatsoever, in which case neither kit is accurate.  The CMK interior resin set is a great addition and gives a good representation of the rear cabin bulkhead minus the padding.

Figure%207-6%20real%20cabin%20rear%20bul

Here is a 2/20th ARA UH-1B from 1965 showing that at least some actual Vietnam Hueys used the seat backs.

Figure%207-7%20VN%20UH-1B%20cabin%20CWO%

This 118th UH-1B from around the same time period (64-65) is much more typical though.  Notice there is no seat back here.

Figure%207-8%20UH-1B%20118th%20AHC%20196

Next up, the instrument panels:

Figure%207-9%20Instrument%20panel%20comp

The easiest way to compare these is to show the two with an actual UH-1B instrument panel.  Without question the Italeri part is the most accurate in terms of shape although both lack realistic instrument detail.  the Hobby Boss panel is the wrong shape and a bit heavy in terms of the instrument cowling.  

Figure%207-10%20Real%20instrument%20pane

The cyclics and collectives.  the Italeri parts have much more detail than the Hobby Boss ones and are more accurate in their shape.

Figure%207-11%20cyclic-collective%20comp

Here is the real deal for comparison.  You can see that Italeri nailed the look of the collective boot, but neither is a great match for the cyclic.  I still prefer the look of the Italeri part though.

Figure%207-12%20UH-1M%2065-09446%20cockp

Figure%207-13%20UH-1B%2060-3554%20cockpi

The pedals.  Nothing really interesting here, except that the Hobby Boss part has an angled base to correspond to the floor bulkhead.

Figure%207-14%20pedals%20compare_zpsnntb

The seats.  Neither one is accurate for the armored seats used in Vietnam beginning in late 65/early 66.  the seatbelt detail is rudimentary at best.  The Hobby Boss part is also too tall.

Figure%207-15%20seats%20compare_zpsssi2t

Here you can see how the two stack up to both the armored and unarmored Huey seats.  To me the Italeri ones are marginally better, but both lack accuracy if you decide to open the cockpit doors.

Figure%207-16%20real%20seats%20compare_z

The last post will be a comparison build of the two kits.

Edited by rotorwash

The last part of this review is a comparison OOB build between the two kits.  I used and identical set of custom decals from Fireball Modelworks so that there would be no bias based on the paint scheme.

First up is the unpainted Hobby Boss cockpit.  As I mentioned earlier, this assembly is painless and the fit is fantastic.  It is as solid as a rock when finished.

PICT7545_zpsvs5jyqsg.jpg

I didn't take any pics of the bare Italeri cockpit, but here are two painted as close to the same as I could get.  I apologize for the poor focus on some of these.  I built the kits using the included cabin seats and seat backs.  I painted them red along with the pilot seats to to represent an early UH-1B. The seatbelts are the molded details painted or, in the case of the Hobby Boss kit, I just painted seatbelts on the cabin seat.  None of the seats are accurate to the real thing

PICT7579_zpsmgccfmjw.jpg

PICT7580_zpsny0cchpv.jpg

PICT7574_zpswrr1kwm1.jpg

PICT7575a_zpsppbrka5f.jpg

PICT0024_zpsyfhthqdm.jpg

PICT0022_zps7hm8qbgp.jpg

PICT0021_zpsilpztrsi.jpg

PICT0023_zpslhbywfna.jpg

Here are the partially assembled fuselages showing the ceiling is a separate part in the Italeri kit.  There is NO ceiling detail in either kit.  This first photo also shows the offset instrument panel on the Iataleri kit which is correct vs the symmetrical panel of the Hobby Boss kit.  These photos also show how much more solid the transmission sits in the Hobby boss kit vs the Italeri transmission which is hanging out in space.

PICT0029_zpsx1wyxggs.jpg

PICT0027_zps1kvbckcd.jpg

Finally, here are completed models finished in Ft. Rucker trainer markings.  the original aircraft was glass OD.  Ignoring the bent stabilizer bar, which I didn't notice when I took the first pic, both of them look like pretty decent Hueys from the outside.  The main thing you will see is that the details are thicker on the Hobby Boss kit.  Also, the Italeri main rotor mast has more detail overall.  The greenhouse windows are too small on the Hobby Boss kit as well.  The Italeri kit comes with a tail antenna whereas the Hobby Boss kit does not.  The Italeri kit has skid tie down rings while the Hobby Boss kit does not.  As mentioned above, the main rotor on the Italeri kit cones upward at the rotorhead as it should while the Hobby Boss kit is flat with drooped blades.  There are some simple fixes such as using wire for the nose antennas and correcting the shape of the skid steps with sanding that would improve both of these kits, but at least this should give you an idea of what you get straight OOB.  In my opinion, the italeri UH-1B is the most accurate 1/72 Huey of any type OOB.  However, the Hobby Boss kit is the easiest Huey to build OOB.

Hobby Boss left/Italeri right

P1000061_zps1v6owpe2.jpg

Italeri top/Hobby Boss bottom

P1000081%20small_zpsjfnv15zj.jpg

Hobby Boss front/Italeri rear

P1000064%20small_zps4cwiitmn.jpg

I hope you guys found this useful.  Feel free to ask if you have any questions about these kits.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
  • 9 months later...

What a great review - even without single photo... Damn great job, Photobucket! 

Unfortunately I found this thread only now when it has already lost a lot of its value. Anyway, very helpful stuff and definitely makes me wanna get the Italeri kit. Many thanks, Ray!

For a couple of decades I've wanted to make a Hueye since it's always been one of my favourite choppers. I just finished watching the exhaustive Burns/Novick/Ward documentary series "The Vietnam War" and once again I'm all over the Huey. Wholeheartedly recommended if you want to see a great documentary with incredible amount of first hand accounts and film material and none of that dramatised BS you see way too often nowadays.

On 3/28/2018 at 4:46 AM, janman said:

What a great review - even without single photo... Damn great job, Photobucket! 

Unfortunately I found this thread only now when it has already lost a lot of its value. Anyway, very helpful stuff and definitely makes me wanna get the Italeri kit. Many thanks, Ray!

For a couple of decades I've wanted to make a Hueye since it's always been one of my favourite choppers. I just finished watching the exhaustive Burns/Novick/Ward documentary series "The Vietnam War" and once again I'm all over the Huey. Wholeheartedly recommended if you want to see a great documentary with incredible amount of first hand accounts and film material and none of that dramatised BS you see way too often nowadays.

Sorry about the Photobucket stupidity.  You should try installing this image fix and see if the pics come back.  It worked great for me: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embedded-imag/ogipgokcopooepeipngiikdkpmcpkaon/reviews?hl=en

Ray