Folks, I have it in mind to build a  Matchbox 1/72 Douglas A 20 (aka 'Boston), and these are seemingly made out of unobtanium.  Does anyone know whether any current kit producer been making models off the originally-Matchbox molds?

Thanks very much.

You'd be much better off looking for the Special Hobby A-20 series. I think Revell MAY HAVE reboxed a Special Hobby Boston/Havoc, but I'm not sure. The Special Hobby series is clearly the best A-20 kits in 1/72 scale.

Thanks for the heads-up.  Sounds like a dandy idea, save for the part about cost - - - the going prices for this kit kit's is outside my budget.  Not a showstopper, but for my purposes excessive.  But the suggestion got me to search for a kit (hence my price recoil) but I found a Swedish Seversky P-35 that fills nicely into my WWII array of models at a price I felt good about considering, the Swedish decals - - what I would use is already in the box.  No aftermarket. 

Thanks very much.  And I'm still interested in a Matchbox A-20 if it's priced in my comfort zone. 

Peter,

A quick look on US evil-bay shows a Matchbox A-20 ( one listed ) for $23.95.  The Revell A-20 ( five listed ) is  approx $18 - 25.  The AMT / Frog / Airlines A-20 ( four listed ) seems to be about $10 - 12.  The MPM A-20 ( one listed ) is about $24.

C2j

I have the current Revell A-20J (won it in a raffle) and can confirm it is a re-boxing of the MPM/Special Hobby kit.  While I hear they are a bit "fiddly" to build, the MPM A-20 series are by far the best Havoc/Bostons in 1/72.  The old Matchbox kit is pretty awful.  Grossly oversized engine nacelles, extremely simplistic detail, and an odd combination of raised panel lines on the fuselage and infamous Matchbox "trenches" on the wings.

SN

I don't mind the 'simplistic' characterization, I've got a flock of Matchbox stuff on the display shelf, and another one roosting there wouldn't look out of place.  But the shape and proportion errors, nah.  Thanks very much for the clarifying summary.  Off to try to find a Revell version.  Much obliged.

It's actually a shame, because other than the oversize nacelles, the old Matchbox A-20G/J is about the best of the early era 1/72 Havoc/Boston kits in terms of shape.  If you're not completely committed to the G-model, and don't want to mess with the somewhat "fiddly" MPM/Special Hobby/Revell kit, the old-school (1960s vintage) Revell A-20C is actually pretty nice and can be found fairly cheap on the secondary market.

SN

Edited by Steve N

That's the origin of my initial question - - - Matchbox stuff looks nice on the shelf when they're done.  And assembles well.  Too bad about the oversize nacelles.  As for the Revell, too late.  I've bought and I'm waiting for it to be delivered, a Revell J-model, which I inferred from the reviews is the MPM/Special hobby version.