1/48th Scale F-35 RAM Panel Decals

4 minutes ago, F4DPhantomII said:

Are the decals for the Kitty Hawk F-35A  the same darker shade? I was going to place an order bur now am unsure.

I only bought the F-35B set, so I don't know. But I would expect that they were supposed to be printed in the same color, so it is likely they are also so dark.

I bought 48-005 (F-35A) and 48-006 (F-35B) and they are printed in the same dark grey. The grey looks very much like FS 36118 Gunship Grey. I don't know what the FS # of the RAM panels should be but these decals look a bit dark to me; I suspect the decals may be unusable due to wrong color.

12 minutes ago, Marv said:

I bought 48-005 (F-35A) and 48-006 (F-35B) and they are printed in the same dark grey. The grey looks very much like FS 36118 Gunship Grey. I don't know what the FS # of the RAM panels should be but these decals look a bit dark to me; I suspect the decals may be unusable due to wrong color.

Indeed, it is very close to 36118. Either the printer screwed up or the Wolfpak, but in either case Wolfpak should have caught the mistake and never send the decals to us... And yes, I agree that they are unusable. You would have to paint the model black to have decent contrast with these decals :angry: (interesting "what if" idea, by the way...)

Edited by Vodnik

Gentlemen,

Here is a photo taken today in direct sunlight with no flash of an Academy 1/72 scale F-35.  The model was painted with Sovereign Models Colourcoat enamel FS 36170 the color noted to have been used on the F-35.  All greys appear darker on the decal sheet as they are contrasted by the light blue of the decal paper.  Let me know if you think the contrast isn't great enough or the color too dark when  the decal is placed on a completed model as in the photo.  I've sold over 400 sheets in 1/72 scale without complaint.  You be the judge but I suggest that you apply them to a correctly painted test strip of plastic before forming an opinion.

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

IMG_1555.jpg

Edited by Mark S.
spelling
20 minutes ago, B2Blain said:

I've seen where it is suppose to be FS36251.  Mark says it is suppose to be FS36231.  So I don't know.  But the decals appear very dark.  It look like Gunship gray to my eye too.

It's neither 36251 nor 26231. It is close to 36118 indeed = MUCH too dark, much darker than the 36170 the rest of the aircraft is painted.

34859561841_5ee5905b46_c.jpg

Edited by Vodnik
17 minutes ago, Mark S. said:

Gentlemen,

Here is a photo taken today in direct sunlight with no flash of an Academy 1/72 scale F-35.  The model was painted with Sovereign Models Colourcoat enamel FS 36170 the color noted to have been used on the F-35.  All greys appear darker on the decal sheet as they are contrasted by the light blue of the decal paper.  Let me know if you think the contrast isn't great enough or the color too dark when  the decal is placed on a completed model as in the photo.  I've sold over 400 sheets in 1/72 scale without complaint.  You be the judge but I suggest that you apply them to a correctly painted test strip of plastic before forming an opinion.

Mark S.

Wolfpak Decals

IMG_1555.jpg

I don't care what the 1/72 decal looks like on your model. Please show us the 1/72 decal next to the 1/48 decal, then we will have something to discuss.  I'm sure they are printed in a completely different color. And don't blame the blue background - my photos clearly show that it is not a factor in the slightest. And I believe that IT IS YOU who should test the decal on the plastic, not us. You do realize that to "apply them to a correctly painted test strip of plastic" I have to ruin the decal and would not be able to use it on the kit even if you are correct (and I'm sure you are wrong), don't you?

This is your decal next to the FS 36170 official color chip in case you haven't seen the post in the other thread:

34991205455_801e601cbe_c.jpg

The decal was apparently printed in 36118 by mistake. Just admit it and offer a solution. Damage control.

Edited by Vodnik

The decals are the same color on both the 1/72 and 1/48th sheets.  I refuse to be drawn into a discussion on merits with anyone making outlandish claims and no proof.  I took a chance after 7 years to serve the 1/48th modeling community again but I can see it's not worth the effort.  I will post a partial scan of both 1/48th and 1/72 scale sheets but not the entire sheet as to provide someone with the ability of and individual to copy weeks of work. 

Regards,

Mark

Thanks, Mark, but I think Vodniks' post is pretty convincing...the Wolfpack F-35 decals in 1/48th are too dark. I will not be using the ones that I bought, simply because the color is wrong.

2 minutes ago, Mark S. said:

The decals are the same color on both the 1/72 and 1/48th sheets.  I refuse to be drawn into a discussion on merits with anyone making outlandish claims and no proof.  I took a chance after 7 years to serve the 1/48th modeling community again but I can see it's not worth the effort.  I will post a partial scan of both 1/48th and 1/72 scale sheets but not the entire sheet as to provide someone with the ability of and individual to copy weeks of work. 

Regards,

Mark

No proof? ROTFL... Have you actually seen all the photos I posted in the other thread or is it too much effort for you?

I am working the issue.  It takes time.  An buy the way I have a business to run.  I have an email to Fantasy Printshop.  When I have definitive information I will post it.  Being an engineering professional of 40 years I have found to think first, obtain the facts, formulate an answer and then respond in a calm professional manner.  I am sure that it may take more time that some would like but I won't be rushed.  I know Ray at  Fantasy in the past takes vacation this time of year so it may be a day or two before I reply. 

Best Regards,

Mark

Wolfpak Decals.

6 minutes ago, Mark S. said:

I am working the issue.  It takes time.  An buy the way I have a business to run.  I have an email to Fantasy Printshop.  When I have definitive information I will post it.  Being an engineering professional of 40 years I have found to think first, obtain the facts, formulate an answer and then respond in a calm professional manner.  I am sure that it may take more time that some would like but I won't be rushed.  I know Ray at  Fantasy in the past takes vacation this time of year so it may be a day or two before I reply. 

Best Regards,

Mark

Wolfpak Decals.

And this is the post you should have begun with.

Edited by Vodnik

Gentlemen:

If you have an order in to me whether shipped or not and I find that the decals are in fact too dark I'll refund your order in full or replace the decals with corrected ones.  It's way to early to come to a conclusion and course of action.  As I mentioned before I have sent an email to the print shop.  In the past the owner of the shop vacations this week.  I will post here and on my website as soon as I have more information.  Additionally I have suspended sales and shipping of these sheets.  

Mark

Mark:

Thanks for your help on these RAM decals. I am still enthusiastic about these decals, especially after seeing them up-close. The RAM decals are really needed for the Kitty Hawk kits, and yours are the only game in town.  Thanks again.

Wow guys...while still on the sheet colors bay be debatable, but once shown on the model it should be indisputable!!! The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the saying goes, and in this case the "eating" is seeing it looking correctly on Mark's model! How can anyone argue that??

1 hour ago, Vodnik said:

I don't care what the 1/72 decal looks like on your model.

Forgive me, but with all respect, that makes no sense....would that not be the best test possible? Many times what I've had on a decal sheet ended up looking very different once on the painted model (both good AND bad)....and the final appearance on the model is the point of all this discussion. 

May I suggest, simply try it on yours, and if it doesn't look right, remove it and then you can say so. :cheers: