The Scale Model Critique Group and ARC.

This unfortunately is a post that now has to be made. 

To those who don't know, there is a group on Facebook called the Scale Model Critique Group, or SMCG for short. They fancy themselves as group dedicated to improving others through honest and constructive, however the reality is anything but. 

What has happened is there is a build thread here by ALF18 for a CF-18 build. Specifically here:

Now, what's happened is a member there has posted a link the above build and the group has taken to savaging the build and attacking it. There are ARC members in that group, specifically Jim DiCesare, @DoogsATX and a few others, and in particular Jim DiCesare of https://jimsmodels.com/.  When someone posted that it wasn't really proper to take someones build and utterly savage it without request..this was the response. 

http://imgur.com/RmL42C7

http://imgur.com/ajF9JNf

I just felt that perhaps people would be better off being aware that if you post anything on ARC, this group feels it's ethical and proper to splatter it all over their little hateful echo-chamber. This isn't professional, productive or proper considering the person did NOT request any "critique".  Be aware folks when you deal with these people. 

Karma will strike back at those A-holes....that's such a dishonorable attitude toward other modeler, it would be like a professional athlete mocking amateurs beginners...

Edited by mingwin

Oh Jimmy linked to a picture of my Iranian Tomcat on his blog last week. The reason? To show an example of a model built in a  boring fashion with no imagination. To quote :- "

You can go for the most boring and thoughtless and build what I’d call “box style.” These builds are unique in their boring monotone finish. You can usually find these on the sides of boxes by the likes of Revell, the now defunct Testors, some older Tamiya boxings, and most notably Hasegawa’s kits from the 90s to early 2000s."

My surprise at Jimmy using a build of mine to try and attack me publicly knows, quite literally, no beginnings. :rolleyes:

J D is a certified idiot.

Lots of threads about his superior brand of stupidity.

Told me it didn't matter if the water trap on a regulator/filter was upside down, a real clown,

Ok for those prats to critique your work but they ban ya immediately if you critique their crap-fool work.

No worthwhile reason to subject yourself to critic from unqualified fools like J D .

Who is he anyway?

A nobody that's who.

2 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

that was a group I joined earlier on, but soon grew tired of the antics of the main players.   I exited quietly.

I am still a member of the SMCG*, but turned off all notifications for it because it was so toxic sometimes. I made the mistake of posting that I was turning off notifications and why, and got a couple of nasty responses that validated my decision. I never go there now unless someone reposts something of interest.

There are some talented people there, and I saw a lot of merit in some of the discussion, but it became uncivil very often.

*This won't be true much longer. One of their 'admins' saw this post and commented on it, and I blocked him, and then another 'admin' told me that wasn't cool. So I blocked him too.

Edited by andrew.deboer

The guy has been dumped by a certain hard copy/ online publisher..

It was brought to the attention that he had made callous comments about cancer patients online ....

The publisher promptly dumped the douche bag

He deserves whatever  is coming to him. As he is an arrogant gasbag..

Further to that.. Drewe's   comments don't even begin to describe what a moron the guy is..

Edited by phantomdriver

I can't decide which is worse: posting someone else's builds without permission, or the ridicule that comes after that to satisfy their own inflated egos. There's a difference between being honest and just being a jerk.

Just so everyone is clear, both offending posts on SMCG have been removed by Jim. He himself was ticked off when he saw how the thread was being used it caught him off guard. But I do believe character assassination is a trap any group can fall into. Reference some of the above posts in this thread. It is not necessary, it is not healthy and it certainly is not adult. The old two wrongs adage applies in full. 

The group is certainly not for everyone, they make that clear from the outset. But there is a lot of talent in the group and a lot of folks that belong there and here and on numerous other forums on the net. Jim has always attracted more than his share of comment, mainly because he is outspoken and not afraid to state his opinion. But like anyone else, he is fully entitled to that opinion. I have benefitted greatly on a personal level from work I have seen here as well as work I have seen there. And I have followed Jim's and about another 20 odd blogs for in some cases years. Honestly he himself does not endorse bashing for the sake of bashing and once he took a good look at the post in question he pulled it down. 

There is too much to learn and too many kits to build to let the forums sink into personalities. If it is not your cup of tea then don't visit, there is plenty of great talent and information to be found elsewhere. But also please don't paint with a broad brush, a lot of us find the approach the group uses beneficial, and when it gets out of hand, as it did here, Jim and the other admins usually reign it in quickly. 

In the future please PM one of the group admins if you see something you feel is misused or misrepresented, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,

Robert Porter

19 minutes ago, Robert Porter said:

Just so everyone is clear, both offending posts on SMCG have been removed by Jim. He himself was ticked off when he saw how the thread was being used it caught him off guard. But I do believe character assassination is a trap any group can fall into. Reference some of the above posts in this thread. It is not necessary, it is not healthy and it certainly is not adult. The old two wrongs adage applies in full. 

The group is certainly not for everyone, they make that clear from the outset. But there is a lot of talent in the group and a lot of folks that belong there and here and on numerous other forums on the net. Jim has always attracted more than his share of comment, mainly because he is outspoken and not afraid to state his opinion. But like anyone else, he is fully entitled to that opinion. I have benefitted greatly on a personal level from work I have seen here as well as work I have seen there. And I have followed Jim's and about another 20 odd blogs for in some cases years. Honestly he himself does not endorse bashing for the sake of bashing and once he took a good look at the post in question he pulled it down. 

There is too much to learn and too many kits to build to let the forums sink into personalities. If it is not your cup of tea then don't visit, there is plenty of great talent and information to be found elsewhere. But also please don't paint with a broad brush, a lot of us find the approach the group uses beneficial, and when it gets out of hand, as it did here, Jim and the other admins usually reign it in quickly. 

In the future please PM one of the group admins if you see something you feel is misused or misrepresented, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,

Robert Porter

Check's in the mail. Well done, Comrade.

23 minutes ago, Robert Porter said:

t. Jim has always attracted more than his share of comment, mainly because he is outspoken and not afraid to state his opinion. But like anyone else, he is fully entitled to that opinion. I

This applies to anybody who thinks they can say anything in public without consequence, just because it is their opinion. Not all opinions hold equal weight, and if you say something inflammatory, rude, or hateful, just because it is your opinion, then you deserve whatever fallout it creates.

Just now, RKic said:

This applies to anybody who thinks they can say anything in public without consequence, just because it is their opinion. Not all opinions hold equal weight, and if you say something inflammatory, rude, or hateful, just because it is your opinion, then you deserve whatever fallout it creates.

I agree, and so does he. So how does that excuse the inflammatory, rude and hateful comments made above? 

8 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

Oh Jimmy linked to a picture of my Iranian Tomcat on his blog last week. The reason? To show an example of a model built in a  boring fashion with no imagination. To quote :- "

You can go for the most boring and thoughtless and build what I’d call “box style.” These builds are unique in their boring monotone finish. You can usually find these on the sides of boxes by the likes of Revell, the now defunct Testors, some older Tamiya boxings, and most notably Hasegawa’s kits from the 90s to early 2000s."

My surprise at Jimmy using a build of mine to try and attack me publicly knows, quite literally, no beginnings. :rolleyes:

Is the Iranian F-14 shown on his blog, a picture of your work? 

https://jimsmodels.com/. 

Point taken. And  If any of the above were personally offended by unsolicited critique of their models by your group, then you have to understand some of the bile. 

My personal feelings on this are that while I can't control what others think about my work, it is one thing for them to dislike it in private, and something else entirely to dissect it in a group setting, and laugh at it. That sort of behavior is best left to packs of grade-school bullies sitting on the stoop and making fun of people that pass them by. Its empowering to them, but hurtful to the target of their ridicule, and just pathetic to anybody on the side-lines, and not in their line of fire.  

Edited by RKic
quoted wrong message
8 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

I read the entire blog post, I could not find where he attributed you by name, or specifically criticized you or your work. He seems to me to making a point about style and his preferences and likes and dislikes. I suppose you could infer from his linking to a picture of your work and then stating he does not like it that he is indirectly attacking you. But that would presuppose anyone reading the post would know that particular aircraft was your work. It hardly rises to the level of a public attack on you or your work.

3 minutes ago, RKic said:

Point taken. If any of the above were personally offended by unsolicited critique of their models by your group, then you have to understand some of the bile. 

My personal feelings on this are that while I can't control what others think about my work, it is one thing for them to dislike it in private, and something else entirely to dissect it in a group setting, and laugh at it. That sort of behavior is best left to packs of grade-school bullies sitting on the stoop and making fun of people that pass them by. Its empowering to them, but hurtful to the target of their ridicule, and just pathetic to anybody on the side-lines, and not in their line of fire.  

Agreed entirely, and my point is Jim agree's with you as well. If you look now a very recent post by Jim very clearly and categorically calls that behavior out and explains why the post in question was deleted. It also states that future such posts will be immediately removed. He even acknowledges that his initial defense of the post was ill informed and indefensible in hindsight. If you ask me he has done all anyone could be expected to, he did not create the post and once he fully understood the nature of it he removed it. 

4 minutes ago, Robert Porter said:

I read the entire blog post, I could not find where he attributed you by name, or specifically criticized you or your work. He seems to me to making a point about style and his preferences and likes and dislikes. I suppose you could infer from his linking to a picture of your work and then stating he does not like it that he is indirectly attacking you. But that would presuppose anyone reading the post would know that particular aircraft was your work. It hardly rises to the level of a public attack on you or your work.

If I started going on about people I do not like, and linked a picture of you, would you not presuppose that I am speaking about you or the kinds of people that you are representative of (for the record - I do not dislike you, as I do not know you)? 

Edited by RKic
  • SBARC locked this topic