1/144 C-5 Galaxy decals

I want to make sure that the decals will fit the Otaki kit as well. If necessary, I will add optional versions of some elements to  fit the Otaki kit.

I don't want to buy the darn kit at collector's prices now; but will ask for your help when the design nears completion.  

• 1 month later...

I just hope that Roden is to use better quality plastic to hold the C-5. Currently building the C-141, perfect idea to get that C-141 done, fit is good but you need patience. 

On May 16, 2017 at 5:10 PM, KursadA said:

I want to make sure that the decals will fit the Otaki kit as well. If necessary, I will add optional versions of some elements to  fit the Otaki kit.

I don't want to buy the darn kit at collector's prices now; but will ask for your help when the design nears completion.  

Want to borrow one?  It's the green plastic kit since I already built my white one.  

10 hours ago, Eric2020 said:

Did anyone hear rumours about the oldp Otaki kit being re-released by Revell or others?

Rumor I heard was the dies went down in the Sea of Japan aboard a container that fell off the ship during a storm.

13 hours ago, Eric2020 said:

Did anyone hear rumours about the oldp Otaki kit being re-released by Revell or others?

Huh? The Galaxy kit I built was in a Revell box and was the reboxed Otaki kit, so that means they had the moulds at one time. Did not keep the box but it had a built up model the box top and not artwork.

Just because the box says Revell doesn't mean the parts were molded at or by Revell.

it is my understanding that many rebranded kits are molded and bagged by the original company, then the bagged kits are shipped to the new company to be boxed with new instructions and decals.

My "Otaki" C-5 was in a Testors box and inside the bag was a "Made in Japn" slip of paper. 

The kit is originally an Otaki kit, produced in the 1970s I believe. It has been repackaged by both Testor and Revell in the U.S. Both of these companies has historically repackaged many brands between them. Usually a company will buy bagged kit sets from the originator and put them in their own boxes with new instructions and decals. I doubt that Revell or Testor ever actually had possession of the molds.

There have been rumors that the Otaki molds had gone missing, were destroyed, were sold and scrapped -- who knows? What is clear is that the kit has not been reissued by anyone since Revell's issue in the mid-late '80s. One would think that if Revell somehow actually obtained the mold that they would have reissued it (probably several times) in the passing decades. But they haven't. One version of the legend of the missing molds is that it, along with the coveted Otaki 1/144 L-1011 airliner, it sunk at sea or was in a train wreck and lost forever. Somewhere there are a couple thousand pounds of rusty steel that haven't experienced the rush of molten styrene in thirty years. Sad.

That is sad if it is now an anchor with no boat to attach to.

Anyway this will be all academic now since the new Roden one should be great. I had no plans to do yet another Galaxy but I recently found some PanAm Cargo decals that I think would look great on it.

I am sure the Roden kit will also fit better than the Otaki version. I had a hell of a time fitting the wheel well doors since I had no intention of painting all those wheels.

A quick search finds articles mentioning Otaki closed shop in the 80s and sold many of their molds to ARII and Doyusha.

Also "Otaki" translates into "big waterfall" so maybe that is where the "lost at sea" story originates?

I did hear that the molds where lost during the travel back home. Its great to see Roden produce the C-5 but what I see now on the plastic of the C-141 its weak, and perhaps too weak to hold the Starlifter on its feet.

Looking forward to what Kursad has in the works for the C-5...

Hope Roden adds a bit more detail this time,as their Starlifter was alittle underwelming..but I bought one anyway as i doubt anyone else will do one.

Don't suppose anyones  done a cockpit for the Roden C-141 have they???

Edited by mungo1974
9 minutes ago, mungo1974 said:

Looking forward to what Kursad has in the works for the C-5...

Hope Roden adds a bit more detail this time,as their Starlifter was alittle underwelming..but I bought one anyway as i doubt anyone else will do one.

Don't suppose anyones  done a cockpit for the Roden C-141 have they???

Maybe you can squeeze one of the airliner style of cockpits into the kit? I seem to recall having seen somebody make different types. Braz maybe? I cheat with my airliner kits and use decals for the cockpit windows.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:42 AM, Eric2020 said:

Hmm for the amount of plastic it seems about the going rate right. Ok if it was Revell it would be cheaper like their A400? Or is that 1/72nd?

I still think it will be a nice kit considering there has not been any C-5 Galaxy kits for awhile.