USN Legacy Squadrons Group Build  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join this Group Build?

Are you willing to participate in this group build?

Rules:

1. Any USN Squadron commissioned before 31 December 1955 allowed. This includes any squadron number changes in the squadrons history.( Example: VFA-14 was formerly Air Det Pacflt, VT-5, VP-4-1, VF-4(1st), VF-1(1st), VF-1B(1st), VB-2B, VB-3, VB-4, VS-41, VB-41, VB-4, VA-1A, VA-14, VF-14(2nd) , established September 1919)

2. Any aircraft the squadron has flown during it's history.  

3. All Scales and any aftermarket allowed.

4. No What If's

Edited by tosouthern66

Well, he does need to do an AC coded VF-31 Phantom while attached to ,,,,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,CVW-8 while on the America during Northern Merger. VF-213 wearing NH works for that cruise as well.

I am in, this time. I will actually take construction photos and post them, too. I'm usually terrible at the photo posting deal.

But, this Group Build for me would be mostly just building what I want to build for my collection, anyway.

I do have a question,,,,,,how did you come up with that particular date?

It opens up quite a few questions from the participants concerning "weird stuff" such as some VA-34 aircraft being eligible, but others not. Or single tail code VF-131 being eligible, but not the 1962 VF-131, or the VFA-131 Hornets.

Which wouldn't be all that bad, the answers would serve to inform a lot of modelers about the history of Navair squadrons, and the starts and stops of some of the units.

1 hour ago, Rex said:

I am in, this time. I will actually take construction photos and post them, too. I'm usually terrible at the photo posting deal.

But, this Group Build for me would be mostly just building what I want to build for my collection, anyway.

I do have a question,,,,,,how did you come up with that particular date?

It opens up quite a few questions from the participants concerning "weird stuff" such as some VA-34 aircraft being eligible, but others not. Or single tail code VF-131 being eligible, but not the 1962 VF-131, or the VFA-131 Hornets.

Which wouldn't be all that bad, the answers would serve to inform a lot of modelers about the history of Navair squadrons, and the starts and stops of some of the units.

Rex

In my opinion any squadron that has been operating for 60 years is a legacy. That would mean squadrons commissioned/established in 1957 or before. To me 57 is just an off number so I rounded it down to the nearest solid number. As for VFA-34 I would say is eligible due to the following I found on their Wiki page. So you could build anything that was VA-34,VA-35 and VFA-34.

Three distinct US Navy squadrons have been designated VA-34. The first squadron to hold the VA-34 designation was in 1948, this squadron was re designated VA-35 in 1950. The second VA-34 was established in 1943 and disestablished in 1969. The third VA-34, established in 1970, was later re designated VFA-34 and is the subject of this article. Officially, the US Navy does not recognize a direct lineage with disestablished squadrons if a new squadron is formed with the same designation.[1] Often, the new squadron will assume the nickname, insignia, and traditions of the earlier squadrons.

If the squadron has a link/lineage going back far enough it will be considered. 

Edited by tosouthern66

It would be fun to build a historic cross-section of one of these squads. From Corsair/Hellcat through Hornet. Lord knows, there isn't enough time in GB to do that, but its fun to daydream.

16 hours ago, Rex said:

Well, he does need to do an AC coded VF-31 Phantom while attached to ,,,,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,CVW-8 while on the America during Northern Merger. VF-213 wearing NH works for that cruise as well.

You nailed it. 

28 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

What are some qualifying F-4 squadrons? I've got two 1/72 Js and an S in my stash.

Just off the top of my head, I believe VF-41 would qualify for one of your J's :) They were flying F9F Panthers in the early 50's and F4U-4 Corsairs just before that, to name but a few.

1 hour ago, picknpluck said:

What are some qualifying F-4 squadrons? I've got two 1/72 Js and an S in my stash.

As long as a squadron was established before the date picked any aircraft that that squadron has flown in the past to present is eligible. I'll post link to where I have been getting my info. It may not be the best place but is decent enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Navy_aircraft_squadrons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inactive_United_States_Navy_aircraft_squadrons

Tell all your friends, lets get enough votes to have this Group Build. I think this one will be a great idea. We get to learn a little about the squadrons and what aircraft they flew or fly during their active run.

Edited by tosouthern66

a better place (because he reconciles conflicts with Fleet Locations and Allowances) is the GoNavy site.

I haven't found an error on his site in a couple of years now, which means his semi-weekly updates are no longer corrections, just additional data.

http://www.gonavy.jp/SqnDeploymentf.html

His site pretty much matches my own database and the beginner's data in Grosneck's Attack Squadron book done for the Naval Historical Center.

We are over half way to submitting for the group build. We need 12 more to get to the magic number. Talk your friends into it or twist their arms. Guys remember the Marine Squadrons are eligible for this as well as long as it meets the required establishment date. SHould I edit the name or just add that to the rules?

Edited by tosouthern66
17 hours ago, Rex said:

a better place (because he reconciles conflicts with Fleet Locations and Allowances) is the GoNavy site.

I haven't found an error on his site in a couple of years now, which means his semi-weekly updates are no longer corrections, just additional data.

http://www.gonavy.jp/SqnDeploymentf.html

His site pretty much matches my own database and the beginner's data in Grosneck's Attack Squadron book done for the Naval Historical Center.

Rex

Thanks for the link! I had not seen that site during my search for info. I like it and have added it to my favorites!!!

38 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

We are over half way to submitting for the group build. We need 12 more to get to the magic number. Talk your friends into it or twist their arms. Guys remember the Marine Squadrons are eligible for this as well as long as it meets the required establishment date. SHould I edit the name or just add that to the rules?

So, VMFA-232 and VMFA-251 are OK?. 

Damn. A BUNCH of Marine squadrons should qualify!  VMF/VMSB/VMTB-115, -

121, -122, -212, -214, -223, -224,  -225, -231, -323, -351,-513, -531, -542, and a myriad of others would apply! (Those are only the first that come to mind...)

Semper,

Ski

Edited by usmcski6502

Does VFA-122 count? Here's their wiki info as far as lineage is concerned.

"There have been two distinct Navy squadrons known as the "Flying Eagles". The first was established in 1950 as VC-35, later redesignated VA(AW)-35, and then VA-122 and was disestablished in May 1991. Often, the new squadron will assume the nickname, insignia, and traditions of the earlier squadrons, but officially, the US Navy does not recognize a direct lineage with decommisioned squadrons if a new squadron is formed with the same designation.[1]

In January 1999 a new Flying Eagles squadron was established as Strike Fighter Squadron 122 (VFA-122), the first squadron to operate the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet."

SLICK

1 hour ago, slick95 said:

Does VFA-122 count? Here's their wiki info as far as lineage is concerned.

"There have been two distinct Navy squadrons known as the "Flying Eagles". The first was established in 1950 as VC-35, later redesignated VA(AW)-35, and then VA-122 and was disestablished in May 1991. Often, the new squadron will assume the nickname, insignia, and traditions of the earlier squadrons, but officially, the US Navy does not recognize a direct lineage with decommisioned squadrons if a new squadron is formed with the same designation.[1]

In January 1999 a new Flying Eagles squadron was established as Strike Fighter Squadron 122 (VFA-122), the first squadron to operate the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet."

SLICK

Slick

Once the GB becomes official well let the group sound off on this question. In my opinion this one would be a reach due to the original squadron was decommissioned and a new one started up. But like I said we'll put it up for a vote, so don't take my opinion as the final decision.