USN Legacy Squadrons Group Build  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join this Group Build?

hmm, I didn't realize you were gonna let us Jarheads in with our own squadrons.

Okay, I will be in twice instead of once, lol, some Navy stuff, and all three of my Jarhead IRL squadrons.

3 hours ago, Rex said:

hmm, I didn't realize you were gonna let us Jarheads in with our own squadrons.

Okay, I will be in twice instead of once, lol, some Navy stuff, and all three of my Jarhead IRL squadrons.

Rex

They are a part of the NAVAIR system so I can't leave them out. I'm sorry I left them out of the title.

And just for the record, the Jolly Rogers' reincarnations in VF-84 and -103 would presumably NOT qualify; the JR line officially ended with VF-61 in 1959. But then, as my friend Jose H put so well, what do pirates do when their ship is sunk? They hijack another (first the Vagabonds, then the Sluggers) :) 

So if you want to do a true Legacy JR bird you only have up through the F3H's in 1959. :salute: 

12 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

And just for the record, the Jolly Rogers' reincarnations in VF-84 and -103 would presumably NOT qualify; the JR line officially ended with VF-61 in 1959. But then, as my friend Jose H put so well, what do pirates do when their ship is sunk? They hijack another (first the Vagabonds, then the Sluggers) :) 

So if you want to do a true Legacy JR bird you only have up through the F3H's in 1959. :salute: 

3 hours ago, dean spirkoff said:

can there be more squgest used by different members use the same the  same squadron my youngest  son pick out a f-4n folly rogers  on the  USS ROOSRVELT from 1975?

Andrew/spirkoff

They would qualify. Here is why: VF-84 was established 1 July 1955 ( as VA-86 Vagabonds then redesignated 15 April 59  ) and disestablished 1995 ( As VF-84 Jolly Rogers). To me there is enough of a link to allow. I know some of the write ups say no lineage but to me unless the disestablishment of a squadron number was permanent before the 31 December 1955 cut off. Here is something I had not seen till now.

VF-921 Reserve Squadron 2  Feb 1951 was redesignated to VF-84 4 Feb 1953 then redesignated back to VA-86 1 Jly 1955 then redesignated to VFA-86 15 Jly 1987. So VFA-86 would be eligible.

Like I said if you can find a lineage link between a modern squadron and one that was established before the 31 December 1955 it will be allowed. If the squadron in question was never redesignated from another squadron and was established after 31 December 1955 then it is out. Hope this clears things up. I know a lot of this is confusing, if you need help ask we'll try and get the answer for you.

Edited by tosouthern66
1 hour ago, tosouthern66 said:

VF-921 Reserve Squadron 2  Feb 1951 was redesignated to VF-84 4 Feb 1953 then redesignated back to VA-86 1 Jly 1955 then redesignated to VFA-86 15 Jly 1987. So VFA-86 would be eligible.

That's funny. I just did the research on -86 to do a history build for them. Here's one of my all-time favorite Navy goofball decisions. VF-102 was redesignated VA-36 at Cecil Field in 1959. On the same day, AT Cecil Field, a new squadron was established as VA-36. When it was found out that there were two squadrons with the same designation, the new VA-36 was promptly redesignated as...............wait for it.......................VF-102. That new VF-102 is what we know now as VFA-102 Diamondbacks. 

Edited by Darren Roberts
1 hour ago, tosouthern66 said:

Andrew/spirkoff

They would qualify. Here is why: VF-84 was established 1 July 1955 ( as VA-86 Vagabonds then redesignated 15 April 59  ) and disestablished 1995 ( As VF-84 Jolly Rogers). To me there is enough of a link to allow. I know some of the write ups say no lineage but to me unless the disestablishment of a squadron number was permanent before the 31 December 1955 cut off. Here is something I had not seen till now.

Like I said if you can find a lineage link between a modern squadron and one that was established before the 31 December 1955 it will be allowed. If the squadron in question was never redesignated from another squadron and was established after 31 December 1955 then it is out. Hope this clears things up. I know a lot of this is confusing, if you need help ask we'll try and get the answer for you.

Oh, jeez, why didn't I think of -84's life going back as far as it does....:cheers:

Andrew, VF-103 also goes farther back than just as a JR unit. They were a Corsair and then Cougar unit with the tail code "P" before they got F-8s and up. VF-103 was established in 1952.

Darren, cool that you are doing the Sidewinders history build also.

Any other "lineage builds" in your plans?

I'm just wondering because you are building your 1/48 history builds faster than I am building my "one of each in 1/72",,,,,,,,you might get them all covered sooner than I do, lol.

When we get done digging back,,,,,,,we might find that there are only about 20-30 units that don't go back far enough,,,,,or existed for a very short time.

Just listing those few units that "don't qualify" would be faster than running lineages for all the ones that do.

Easy examples,,,,,,,almost all of the "x7" units don't,,,,,they were created as add on units for the Corsair II. CVW-16's five squadrons don't, they were created from scratch in 1960 when the Air Group 16 was added to the Fleet. And a few of the VFA squadrons don't, they were created in situations such as the creation of the "new" CVW-13, when -131, -132, then later -136 and -137 were added for deploying the Hornet.

I think I have an "easy way" to do this. How about considering a build of "USN and USMC Line Squadrons"? That way, you won't have to worry about constantly checking lineages, you would keep the Reserve units out of it (mostly), and you won't have some guy that spent 15 years with VA-97 mad at us for not being able to build one of "his" Corsairs. Or a VAW-117 guy disappointed because he can't build his Hawkeye.

Slick95

The more and more I think about your VFA-122 question the more I find myself leaning to the yes side. There is a lot of info out there and some of it is confusing and contradicting.

Cool deal. I'm just trying to justify some Navy builds for the squadron I'm currently with...this group build idea may push me over the edge to pull some stuff out of the stash.

SLICK

3 minutes ago, slick95 said:

Cool deal. I'm just trying to justify some Navy builds for the squadron I'm currently with...this group build idea may push me over the edge to pull some stuff out of the stash.

SLICK

What squadron are you assigned to? I was with VFA-151 1988-1990 in W/C230

7 hours ago, Rex said:

Andrew, VF-103 also goes farther back than just as a JR unit. They were a Corsair and then Cougar unit with the tail code "P" before they got F-8s and up. VF-103 was established in 1952.

Yeah, I know, I did a ten-year research project compiling the JR lineage with a bunch of previously unknown material and photos and interviews.  Also built their entire history in 1/72, a 30-model collection. Took almost a decade....

Didn't you once have a Jolly Rogers reference website?

(apologies if you still do, I don't seem to have it bookmarked, although I thought I had it on the old PC at one time)

8 minutes ago, Rex said:

Didn't you once have a Jolly Rogers reference website?

(apologies if you still do, I don't seem to have it bookmarked, although I thought I had it on the old PC at one time)

Not me personally, no, but I contributed a lot to Jose Herculano's site....especially the mostly unknown info on VF-17's F6F's and subsequent birds, and VF-5B.

If your joining up then vote yes.

Our one standard rule is nothing is official till 25 people say yes.

Knowing odds are 20 will start. 5 give up after they open the box, 10-15 usually complete in the 6 month timeline. Sometimes ( and I think this one has the chance) a LOT more then 10-15 complete.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

If your joining up then vote yes.

Our one standard rule is nothing is official till 25 people say yes.

Knowing odds are 20 will start. 5 give up after they open the box, 10-15 usually complete in the 6 month timeline. Sometimes ( and I think this one has the chance) a LOT more then 10-15 complete.

Well said Phantom. We need you guys to vote yes if you haven't done so, if you have thank you. If you know anyone that is on the fence then please talk them in to it.

2 hours ago, adamitri said:

I voted yes. Lets do this. I am in with a VF-154 F-4. Do the Blue Angels qualify on your list ?

That's a good question. I don't see why they shouldn't. They were formed in 1946 and they are technically a Navy squadron.