USN Legacy Squadrons Group Build  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join this Group Build?

1 hour ago, Janissary said:

Would a VFA-113 F-18C qualify? If yes, what are the start/end dates for this GB? Also what happens at the conclusion of this GB? People just share their WIPs on these pages? Sorry never did a GB and don't know many details about GBs. 

Janissary

As long as the squadron in one form or another was established before 31 December 1955 it is allowed. Dates will be 1 September 2017 to 28 February 2018 at midnight. You will need to have a WIP thread and post completed pictures in the flight line thread.

3 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

... As long as the squadron in one form or another was established before 31 December 1955 it is allowed. Dates will be 1 September 2017 to 28 February 2018 at midnight. You will need to have a WIP thread and post completed pictures in the flight line thread.

Hi,

Very interesting theme for a Group Build and I look forward to participating (I belatedly voted yesterday). I'm not sure yet what I'll contribute, but the temptation is to complete one project from each of the active and inactive lists...

cheers,

Andrew.

Edited by AndrewS
spelling
3 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

Hi,

Very interesting theme for a Group Build and I look forward to participating (I belatedly voted yesterday). I'm not sure yet while I'll contribute, but the temptation is to complete one project from each of the active and inactive lists...

cheers,

Andrew.

Welcome aboard gald to have you join us!

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, usmcski6502 said:

Damn. A BUNCH of Marine squadrons should qualify!  VMF/VMSB/VMTB-115, -

121, -122, -212, -214, -223, -224,  -225, -231, -323, -351,-513, -531, -542, and a myriad of others would apply! (Those are only the first that come to mind...)

Agree, pretty wide open for USMC squadrons, as other said -533 another big one that I'd like to see represented; two other biggies that come to mind are -211 (Wildcats, Corsairs, Skyhawks, Harriers, JSF, etc) and -311 (Corsairs, Panthers, Skyhawks, Harriers, etc).

11 hours ago, Aussie_superbug said:

Looks like just before their 74 tour in Vietnam

Think you meant after Vietnam? Their last SEA combat deployment was from 72-73.

1 hour ago, ziggyfoos said:

Agree, pretty wide open for USMC squadrons, as other said -533 another big one that I'd like to see represented; two other biggies that come to mind are -211 (Wildcats, Corsairs, Skyhawks, Harriers, JSF, etc) and -311 (Corsairs, Panthers, Skyhawks, Harriers, etc).

Think you meant after Vietnam? Their last SEA combat deployment was from 72-73.

oops my bad

28 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

Is it September yet? Anyone have anything they would like discussed before we get there?

Not yet.. Cant wait til it is...  Placed my orders for my 2 builds that I plan to do today both 1/72 scale:banana:

Tamyia's F4U-1A  - just got to find 1/72 decals now 

Hasegawa F-4B - planned OOB, but who knows by then 

On the down side...., Just found out I may be away on course with work for the same time period :bandhead2:

Edited by Aussie_superbug

If you can not wait till September, build a Star Trek model in the Star Trek GB, Or....wait till July 1 and build some nice Canadian models in the Canada 150 GB.

3 hours ago, Aussie_superbug said:

Not yet.. Cant wait til it is...  Placed my orders for my 2 builds that I plan to do today both 1/72 scale:banana:

Tamyia's F4U-1A  - just got to find 1/72 decals now 

Hasegawa F-4B - planned OOB, but who knows by then 

On the down side...., Just found out I may be away on course with work for the same time period :bandhead2:

Take your stuff with you, that way after work you have something to do at the hotel.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Or....wait till July 1 and build some nice Canadian models in the Canada 150 GB.

I sometimes think I should try to do one of Red's projects to go with my Possum Van....now THAT would be scratchbuilding even more insane than what happened with the van! :) 

12 hours ago, Rob56 said:

Star Trek model sounds great, I would take a look at it.

Well come on over , but I suggest an easy one. Less then a month left in that GB.

17 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

Is it September yet? Anyone have anything they would like discussed before we get there?

I'm still coming to grips with the concept behind the GB, but thanks to your Wikipedia links and the GoNavy site referred by Rex, I think I've got the gist. I won't run through every possible build option that's occurred to me over the last few days, but can I run one example past you to check that I'm interpreting the rules correctly...?

A potential build is a 1/72 RA-5C in the markings of RVAH-11 Checkertails. The GoNavy page for this unit's deployments tells me that it existed first as VC-8 (est. 3 Dec '51), then VAH-11 (from 1 Nov 55), becoming RVAH-11 in July 1966 and finally disbanding in 1975. So, this project would appear to be okay. However, if I wanted to build a Vigilante in the markings of RVAH-13, a unit that wasn't established (as VAH-13) until 3 January 1961, then that's not within the bounds?

Hope I've got this correct - as I said, the idea is a really good one and I will support it with (hopefully) two builds, illustrating both the breadth and depth of Navair heritage.

Andrew.

That would be the strict way to interpret it, Andrew.

But, I bet if you had a reallllly good reason for wanting to do a VAH-13/RVAH-13 build, most here wouldn't worry about it. (your unit, your cousin's, neighbor,,,,like Bats a lot, etc)

On 6/9/2017 at 3:35 PM, AndrewS said:

Thanks Rex. As a matter of fact, I do like bats.... and might even have decal options for that unit. Trust me to be distracted by my own negative example.

So we can say your batty? lol that is a good choice for a build!

4 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

So we can say your batty? lol that is a good choice for a build!

Yeah, and that would be a kind characterisation.... ummm, I'm also easily confused; I thought that RVAH-13 wouldn't be a good choice? For one of my builds, I'm leaning towards a VFA-14 F-18E - if I understand correctly that unit has a very long lineage and is still in service.

On 6/11/2017 at 3:16 AM, AndrewS said:

Yeah, and that would be a kind characterisation.... ummm, I'm also easily confused; I thought that RVAH-13 wouldn't be a good choice? For one of my builds, I'm leaning towards a VFA-14 F-18E - if I understand correctly that unit has a very long lineage and is still in service.

Andrew

VFA-14 does have a very long lineage/legacy. The Top Hatters history is where I came up with the Legacy Squadrons idea. I have a Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18E that I started here while back and need to finish and I decided to use VFA-14 for the squadron.

On 6/11/2017 at 3:16 AM, AndrewS said:

VFA-14 is the oldest active non-broken lineage squadron in the Navy. I believe it's followed by VFA-31.  VFA-11 dates back to 1927, but they had a break in lineage in, I believe, 1955. The original VF-11 was disestablished and another VF-11 was established and took on the traditions, but not the lineage, of the Rippers. When I did VF-11's history for them, I took it all the way back to 1927. They viewed that as their history, even though it wasn't the "same" squadron.

1 hour ago, Cool Hand said:

I have a 1/72 Fujimi KA-6D that I'd like to convert to an A-6A if possible.Does anybody know the details?

Externally, you'd need to omit the refueling housing/basket on the bottom and replace it with an avionics housing. It shouldn't be difficult to replicate, especially in 1/72 scale. Other things would be the color of the lights on the front gear door and the leading edge of the tail. On the KA they are green, but on the A-6 they are red. Internally, the KA had a completely different instrument panel, but I don't know if the Fujimi kit comes with an accurate one or not.

4 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

I have a 1/72 Fujimi KA-6D that I'd like to convert to an A-6A if possible.Does anybody know the details?

What Darren said. Also, the KA-6D kit can be built as an A-6A out of the box, the parts are all on the sprues. Instead of mounting the drogue parts (86/83), install the doppler antenna (80) to part 79 instead. Lop off the rear section of the antenna if modeling the later Intruders in the war that had the chaff/flare buckets (scribed on part 79 already). The ALQ-100 pylons are also provided on the sprues (81) depending on if the A you're interested in had them on it or not. The instrument panel in the kit is the bomber version that has the molded on details, just skip the tanker panel decals to put on it. The rest of the details depending on which configuration of A you're looking to model.

edit.... just use the A-6A kit instructions:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10068961

You'll see the sprue layouts are the same as the kit you have except its missing the ordnance sprue and the tanker kit has the tanker parts included, everything else is the same.

Edited by ziggyfoos
2 hours ago, ziggyfoos said:

What Darren said. Also, the KA-6D kit can be built as an A-6A out of the box, the parts are all on the sprues. Instead of mounting the drogue parts (86/83), install the doppler antenna (80) to part 79 instead. Lop off the rear section of the antenna if modeling the later Intruders in the war that had the chaff/flare buckets (scribed on part 79 already). The ALQ-100 pylons are also provided on the sprues (81) depending on if the A you're interested in had them on it or not. The instrument panel in the kit is the bomber version that has the molded on details, just skip the tanker panel decals to put on it. The rest of the details depending on which configuration of A you're looking to model.

edit.... just use the A-6A kit instructions:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10068961

You'll see the sprue layouts are the same as the kit you have except its missing the ordnance sprue and the tanker kit has the tanker parts included, everything else is the same.

Excellent. Thank you. I've got some MERs and Snakeyes form a couple F-8E kit's I can throw on there. Also, I think I have some Rockeye cluster bombs in a Hase weapon pack. Only thing now are the decals. Ideally, I'd like to go with VA-196.