USN Legacy Squadrons Group Build  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join this Group Build?

1 hour ago, thewildscrotum said:

Wow if it's that good I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the recommendation guys. Are there currently any aftermarket goodies out for it, or being so new they're on the way?

It depends on what you're looking for. Eduard has some seats and wheels. I have quite a bit in my Steel Beach line. The kit itself can only build a Tomcat from about the late 1970's through the 80's. I have a TCS chin pod that will expand the markings options as well as a Block 125 upgrade (ECM antenna mostly) that will expand options even more. I also have an F-14B conversion if you wanted to do that. If you want to go backwards, I have an early gun vent as well as an original style beaver tail that will allow you to build an early Tomcat. I just came out with a prototype conversion as well.  At the very least, picking up the TCS pod opens up a lot of decal options.

4 hours ago, Ranger74 said:

It appears to be missing an USMC squadron, unless I couldn't recognize it under the lettering. Other that, it looks great.

There aren't any USMC squadrons. And,  my planned build is either 251 or 232!:rolleyes:

Not to worry,  I'll do a USMC version.

OK gang, Mountain bike deal done. We are less than a month away. I need to catch up on some post to see where we are. As far as putting a list together that is a lot of info to go threw. If you are not sure on the squadron you want to build just ask and we will give you an answer. Other than that I hope everyone is doing ok?

On 7/27/2017 at 8:14 PM, dnl42 said:

How's this?

USN_Legacy_GB-1.png

This is a GIMP file, so I can manipulate it quite a bit.

Not sure these all qualify, but I just chose USN squadrons established before the end of WW2. I could also do a comprehensive display of all USN and USMC squadrons if somebody could publish a list, which would be useful in any event...

Ranger I figured out what was missing! VFA-151    lol

1 hour ago, tosouthern66 said:

Ranger I figured out what was missing! VFA-151    lol

I think more than that is missing!

I only included USN strike fighter squadrons established before the end of WW2 according this this Wiki page. The Wiki page on USMC squadrons show all fighter attack squadrons were commissioned before the end of WW2. The 2 I'm focusing on, VMFA-232 and VMFA-251, both predate WW2. I didn't include any established after WW2 or other types of squadrons, such as HMX-1.

I asked for a definitive list of qualifying squadrons since Wikipedia is subject to errors of omission and commission. :rolleyes:

As an "uber"-mod, I can say no.

Pick one, build for it. If you have time build another for the second GB.

9 hours ago, picknpluck said:

So what if your build qualifies for this group build AND the Sukhoi/Mig killer build? Does it count toward both since they are happening at the same time?

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

All good. I'm definitely in for this GB with a VFP-63 RF-8G. We'll see about the Mig killer GB.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:29 AM, dnl42 said:

I think more than that is missing!

I only included USN strike fighter squadrons established before the end of WW2 according this this Wiki page. The Wiki page on USMC squadrons show all fighter attack squadrons were commissioned before the end of WW2. The 2 I'm focusing on, VMFA-232 and VMFA-251, both predate WW2. I didn't include any established after WW2 or other types of squadrons, such as HMX-1.

I asked for a definitive list of qualifying squadrons since Wikipedia is subject to errors of omission and commission. :rolleyes:

Ranger

I was going to try and put a list together but found out that that is way harder than I thought. Then I looked at doing a list of squadrons that wouldn't qualify and found that was just as hard and confusing. We will be taking them on one at a time. So if you have any doubts on your chosen squadron just ask and I will try and get an answer for you.

21 hours ago, phantom said:

Phantom

Thanks for the help and input. I have been busy as heck and having trouble keeping up.

On 8/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, picknpluck said:

All good. I'm definitely in for this GB with a VFP-63 RF-8G. We'll see about the Mig killer GB.

Well it looks like we will get the go ahead for a Sept start for the "killer GB", so another option is to build 2 side by side.

46 minutes ago, adamitri said:

And -154

Do youse like this design? I've got some time to do another round before I disappear off eclipse chasing  Alternately, I'm happy to try something better if you can describe it...

Here's a version with yellow lettering, but still missing the above noted squadrons...

USN_Legacy_GB-1.png

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Do youse like this design? I've got some time to do another round before I disappear off eclipse chasing  Alternately, I'm happy to try something better if you can describe it...

Here's a version with yellow lettering, but still missing the above noted squadrons...

USN_Legacy_GB-1.png

I think youre going to be stuck trying to make everyone happy with adding their squadron. The design is good. Maybe a top row with more squadrons and the title in the middle.

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

USN_Legacy_GB-1.png

Great Work

oh, sorry, is that -211?

Y'all are gonna laugh at me,,,,,,,,but, not being a Tomcat or Hornet fan, I didn't catch that.

But, I see the checkmates crest now, after looking at it for a minute.

16 hours ago, dnl42 said:

USN_Legacy_GB-1.png

It's all good, I'm just messing with ya! Keep up the good work

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 5:01 PM, dnl42 said:

USN_Legacy_GB-1.png

I think youre going to be stuck trying to make everyone happy with adding their squadron. The design is good. Maybe a top row with more squadrons and the title in the middle.

Only 15 more days.

Got the photo booth set up, the camera has new batteries in it, the tripod is just sitting there waiting to clip the camera on.

Oh, and the kits and decals are sitting here, too. (almost forgot that part)