USN Legacy Squadrons Group Build  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join this Group Build?

This was a totally random eBay find: a Haseagwa rebox of the Monogram 1/72 F-4J. Sweet markings too! It also includes VF-161 markings for that era.  The decals are yellowed but I have them out sunbathing right now. Anyway, this will be my first submission for the build with the VF-151 markings (if I can get the yellowing out). 

20170605_171647_zpsukeg0coz.jpg

I like 151 also, was part of the squadron when they flew F/A-18A's. My decal sheet says 12/1987 as well. I may need to build it during the GB. This is getting interesting here. I can do a VF-151 F-4B, F-4J, F/A-18A and a F/A-18C. I have these in my stash.

Edited by tosouthern66
9 minutes ago, Aussie_superbug said:

At least USMC units didn't change that much.

must admit Though I have going through  a massive learning curve with which Sqns you class as legacy sqns

LOL, Sorry I made it so hard. I didn't think opening it up to all squadrons would fly so well. So I made it about the squadrons that have been around a long time or had a legacy before being deactivated. I figure anything 5 years older than my age would be a legacy.

Edited by tosouthern66

haha, and if you had made it "5 years older than some of us" it would be a Dynasty group build.

or "Dinosaur Squadrons Group Build"

signed Rex, 20+ years older than Darren

22 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

LOL, Sorry I made it so hard. I didn't think opening it up to all squadrons would fly so well. So I made it about the squadrons that have been around a long time or had a legacy before being deactivated. I figure anything 5 years older than my age would be a legacy.

Don't be sorry at all.  that's why we call it research :rofl:

1 minute ago, Rex said:

haha, and if you had made it "5 years older than some of us" it would be a Dynasty group build.

....would that be signed "T-Rex" then? :rofl:

26 minutes ago, Rex said:

That GB idea will be submitted next year! LOL

It's all about me! I keeel me!

Achmed the dead terrorist keels you I keeel me!

Edited by tosouthern66
8 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

That GB idea will be submitted next year! LOL

It's all about me! I keeel me!

Achmed the dead terrorist keels you I keeel me!

You'd better be careful making it next year. Some of us may not make it that far!

Darren - 20 years younger than Rex. 

20 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

Dutch

Let me look into some more. I want to say yes but the fact is VP-92 had that break in service. Which was a good amount of time.

Well if not VP-92 from NAS South Weymouth, how about VMA-322?  According to Tom Hilderth's excellent VMA-322 website, it did exist prior to 1955, though redesignated from VMF-322 to VMA-322. I want to build something from South Weymouth, maybe two: an A-4E and an A-4M!  R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
spelling

Darren, don't forget that some us still have our bags of peanuts.

We didn't use them before,,,,,maybe we should have?

I haven't decided yet which was better for that young man's behavior, his fear of the Old Dudes using them?,,,,,,or should we have used them so that he would fear them being used again? Either way, I will bring extras to Chattanooga,,,,,,,,,just in case.

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Well if not VP-92 from NAS South Weymouth, how about VMA-322?  According to Tom Hilderth's excellent VMA-322 website, it did exist prior to 1955, though redesignated from VMF-322 to VMA-322. I want to build something from South Weymouth, maybe two: an A-4E and an A-4M!  R/ Dutch

Okay.  So VMA-322 is a Marine Corps squadron!  If that don't count, I may be out!  R/ Dutch 

No Dutch,,,,,,,,,,,he already said USMC was okay, back earlier in the thread. And -332 would qualify, because redesignations are allowed, also. The only way to do actual lineages was to allow the progression through the years as their designations changed.

Pick the right unit and FB-1 up to F/A-18F would be allowed.

4 hours ago, Rex said:

Darren, don't forget that some us still have our bags of peanuts.

We didn't use them before,,,,,maybe we should have?

I haven't decided yet which was better for that young man's behavior, his fear of the Old Dudes using them?,,,,,,or should we have used them so that he would fear them being used again? Either way, I will bring extras to Chattanooga,,,,,,,,,just in case.

:rofl:

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Okay.  So VMA-322 is a Marine Corps squadron!  If that don't count, I may be out!  R/ Dutch 

Dutch

USMC Squadrons that meets the date are eligible. I won't leave my USMC brother in out, they are a big part of NAVAIR.

I am looking at building an VMFA(AW)-533 as well.

Edited by tosouthern66
3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Dutch, Marine squadrons are in! I plan to contribute a VMFA-321 F-4S, im addition to a VF-151 F-4J.  Something like this:

1024px-F-4S_VMFA-321_Miramar_1987_zps8iz

6 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

You'd better be careful making it next year. Some of us may not make it that far!

Darren - 20 years younger than Rex. 

Darren

The way I feel right now I may not make it to midnight! I have been off for the last 5 days for my sons High School Graduation and had a blast. Then last night, this morning. I started running a fever/aches/chills/headaches. I feel like I have been drinking for days and am suffering from a massive hangover. I wish it was a hangover, that way I'd have a reason for feeling like I got hit by a train. Not to mention I have to work tonight!

Would a VFA-113 F-18C qualify? If yes, what are the start/end dates for this GB? Also what happens at the conclusion of this GB? People just share their WIPs on these pages? Sorry never did a GB and don't know many details about GBs. 

I am in!!!    Will build a 1/32 F-4S from the Tamiya kit, GT Resin Super Set, and other goodies.   Either in VFMA-235 scheme or USN     Ferris scheme with Zotz decals.

Edited by ghatherly