USN Legacy Squadrons Group Build  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join this Group Build?

10 minutes ago, Cool Hand said:

Excellent. Thank you. I've got some MERs and Snakeyes form a couple F-8E kit's I can throw on there. Also, I think I have some Rockeye cluster bombs in a Hase weapon pack. Only thing now are the decals. Ideally, I'd like to go with VA-196.

Nice look forward to seeing it in the GB

15 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

Andrew

VFA-14 does have a very long lineage/legacy. The Top Hatters history is where I came up with the Legacy Squadrons idea. I have a Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18E that I started here while back and need to finish and I decided to use VFA-14 for the squadron.

13 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

VFA-14 is the oldest active non-broken lineage squadron in the Navy. I believe it's followed by VFA-31.  VFA-11 dates back to 1927, but they had a break in lineage in, I believe, 1955. The original VF-11 was disestablished and another VF-11 was established and took on the traditions, but not the lineage, of the Rippers. When I did VF-11's history for them, I took it all the way back to 1927. They viewed that as their history, even though it wasn't the "same" squadron.

Thanks to you both for your information/confirmation. I can see that I'm going to really struggle to narrow the contenders down; the other units you mention above (VFA-31 and VFA-11) are also very appealing, primarily because they've been around for so long. Decisions, decisions...

On 6/12/2017 at 9:26 PM, AndrewS said:

Thanks to you both for your information/confirmation. I can see that I'm going to really struggle to narrow the contenders down; the other units you mention above (VFA-31 and VFA-11) are also very appealing, primarily because they've been around for so long. Decisions, decisions...

I know how you feel  Andrew, I had my units picked out then changed and changed and changed again. I can go with VFA-14,31,41 and 151 have made my list. I have to lean towards 151 due to being a Vigilante myself from the A days.

I just finished going threw my stash and here is what I came up with on possible builds. Choices, Choices and Choices,which way to go? I do know VFA-151, VF-151 is on the table.

VFA-14: F/A-18E, F-14A (Decals Needed), F-4B (Decals Needed)

VFA-31: F/A-18E, F-14A (Decals Needed) F-4B (Decals Needed)

VFA-41: F/A-18F, F-14A, F-4B (Decals Needed)

VFA-115: F/A-18E, A-6E

VFA-151: F/A-18C, F/A-18A, F-4S, F-4J, F-4N, F-4B

With recent events of the shoot down of the Syrian jet. I know there are some of you that are going to be wanting to build the VFA-87 jet. Unfortunately 87 falls outside the window. Do we want to expand this GB or keep it as it is?

17 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

With recent events of the shoot down of the Syrian jet. I know there are some of you that are going to be wanting to build the VFA-87 jet. Unfortunately 87 falls outside the window. Do we want to expand this GB or keep it as it is?

Well I reckon we keep this as is, Hopefully my proposed "MiG killer" GB gets up... that gives us more opportunity.  

I'm pretty excited about this GB. I'm debating on doing a TF9F Cougar from  VT-22 Golden Eagles, who's history dates back to 1949. Or a US Naval Test Pilot School T-2C

Edited by xavi84
On 21/06/2017 at 6:25 AM, tosouthern66 said:

Well, even before the shoot down I had 2 VFA-87 E models waiting to be built.

54 minutes ago, xavi84 said:

I'm pretty excited about this GB. I'm debating on doing a TF8F Cougar from  VT-22 Golden Eagles, who's history dates back to 1949. Or a US Naval Test Pilot School T-2C

Great options and thanks for reminding me that training and test units are just as valid! Now that I think about it, a VX-9 F-14D just became a distinct possibility.

Have you thought about making the "allowed squadron date" just a bit later,,,,,such as the date CVG-16's squadrons were established?

I only ask because two of the really famous MiG killer squadrons don't qualify, VF-161 (sister squadron to VF-151), and VF-162.

And they certainly had a "legacy", both being well known MiG killers in Vietnam. All five CVG-16 squadrons were established on Sept 1, 1960.

I am not asking for myself,,,,,,,I have a couple of hundred models that DO already qualify. I'm just thinking that someone might want to use the excellent Furball Phantom and Crusader sheets for this build, and do some MiG killers.

Well with Photo Bucket pulling their crap on not allowing 3rd party posting of picture unless you want to pay 399.00 a year I will not be able to post my builds. I will still mod the GB just won't be building anything for it. Unless I can find another photo hosting site that doesn't charge very much and allows 3rd party posting, I am done. What a way to get kicked in the lower region.

I signed in to my free PB account and there is a banner that says new terms of service. If you read it you will see the part about 3rd party sharing and the 400.00 price tag. Thst is for unlimited shares. I am willing to pay for the ads free but to be able to shars MY photos with whomever I want, I shouldn't have to pay to do it. All we can do is keep and eye on it and hope they reverse their decision. In the meant time I am going to look at other phot sharing sites.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Hmmmm.... Now I see mine is NOT working. It was last night.

Looks like PB caught up with you. I have not checked any of my old posts yet. I know someone posted pics in completed build and now the pics show that 3rd party crap. PB just shot them selves inthe foot. They going to loose a lot of customers. When will these greedy corporations going to learn that they can't just gouge customers cause they need a new car or toy.

I signed up over on postimage.org last night and put a couple of test pics in the test area. Still need to work on sizing.

Phantom

I just checked the old Hornets Nest Group Build thread from back in 2014. Your pictures from back then are gone but mine are still there. Maybe PB is going down a list one by one looking for customers who are using their pics in a 3rd party. I'm sure sooner or later all of ours will be gone as well. 

• 3 weeks later...