USN Legacy Squadrons Group Build  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Will you join this Group Build?

Still ready to go with either a VMFA-251 F-4B or VMFA-232 F-4J. Will do one for this GB, and the other later.

I'm going to do an aircraft my neighbor flew as RIO while at MCAS Beaufort. Furball's USMC Rhinos has the right markings for the 251 B and AeroMaster's Phancy Phantoms has the 232 J.

My projects will all be based on the Monogram 1/72 F4B-4: VF-3B USS Ranger 1933, VF-9M 1934, VF-10M 1934, VF-6 USS Enterprise 1937, and if allowed (not actually from a squadron) an F4B-3 conversion HQ USMC 1935. If not allowed I will build it on the side, as it's marking are so different from the others and has a polished aluminum fuselage.

15 hours ago, Ranger74 said:

My projects will all be based on the Monogram 1/72 F4B-4: VF-3B USS Ranger 1933, VF-9M 1934, VF-10M 1934, VF-6 USS Enterprise 1937, and if allowed (not actually from a squadron) an F4B-3 conversion HQ USMC 1935. If not allowed I will build it on the side, as it's marking are so different from the others and has a polished aluminum fuselage.

Sounds like a plan Ranger. I have gone back n forth on my builds. The only one I know is going to happen is the VF-151 F-4B and the VFA-151 F/A-18A build.

Edited by tosouthern66
On 7/21/2017 at 6:46 AM, tosouthern66 said:

Sounds like a plan Ranger. I have gone back n forth on my builds. The only one I know is going to happen is the VF-151 F-4B and the VFA-151 F/A-18A build.

There are some really nice schemes for the "fast movers.". My dad, raised in the 30s, got me interested in the 'tween wars US Navy/US Army aviation. I just don't have much interest in modeling modern aircraft. It is still interesting to me to view others' work in the genre.

3 hours ago, Ranger74 said:

There are some really nice schemes for the "fast movers.". My dad, raised in the 30s, got me interested in the 'tween wars US Navy/US Army aviation. I just don't have much interest in modeling modern aircraft. It is still interesting to me to view others' work in the genre.

I have some WW2 aircraft as well. I would love to build the full line of aircraft that 151 has flown in its history all the way back to when they were VF-23.

Problem is that some of the aircraft they flew I can't find decals for.

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to join the group build with my 1/32 Trumpeter Avenger but I need some help.  I have the 1C version and I want to build a USMC aircraft.  I've searched photos for months and have yet to come up with one that would work.  Can any of you guys show me some photos of a marine bird that would work for this group build?  Would a Avenger even apply?  Seems most of the squadrons start with VMTB so I don't know how that translates to a legacy squadron.  The markings seem fairly basic so I think I could duplicate most any aircraft with masks.

Any help would really be appreciated...

Bryan

7 hours ago, durangokid said:

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to join the group build with my 1/32 Trumpeter Avenger but I need some help.  I have the 1C version and I want to build a USMC aircraft.  I've searched photos for months and have yet to come up with one that would work.  Can any of you guys show me some photos of a marine bird that would work for this group build?  Would a Avenger even apply?  Seems most of the squadrons start with VMTB so I don't know how that translates to a legacy squadron.  The markings seem fairly basic so I think I could duplicate most any aircraft with masks.

Any help would really be appreciated...

Bryan

Bryan

What squadron are you looking at? As long as the squadron was activated before the dates listed in the rules and has a Legacy it is allowed. If you need help we are here to assist you.

How's this?

USN_Legacy_GB-1.png

This is a GIMP file, so I can manipulate it quite a bit.

Not sure these all qualify, but I just chose USN squadrons established before the end of WW2. I could also do a comprehensive display of all USN and USMC squadrons if somebody could publish a list, which would be useful in any event...

Edited by dnl42

Geez, a list would take a while. Someone would have to go all the way through the squadron histories and take out all of the ones that don't qualify for this build.

And then tick people off by typing up the fact that the old VF-111 qualifies, but, the latest and most famous one doesn't. (depending on VA-156's establishment date, that is)

here's a place to get info on whether a USN squadron was established before December 31, 1955 or not.

http://www.gonavy.jp/SqnDeploymentf.html

just watch for the starts and stops, such as VF-131's three times in existence, etc. (VF-131 with a single tail code qualifies, the VF-131 with AE codes flying Demons does not, and of course, VFA-131 does not) He does corrections and updates info every week, so it is not perfect yet,,,,,,but, it is getting pretty darned close. (perfect needs no corrections, only updates)

For VP squadrons, they had their own "history and lineage book" done by Michael Roberts, available here

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/naval-aviation-history/dictionary-of-american-naval-aviation-squadrons-volume-2.html

For the USMC, use Wikipedia, watching out again for things like the famous VMSB-231 being disestablished, and then coming back up 30 years later so that we could introduce Harriers into US Navair service.

And an Avenger qualifies by definition, because they were all out of service by 12/31/55.

Edited by Rex
On 7/27/2017 at 8:14 PM, dnl42 said:

How's this?

USN_Legacy_GB-1.png

This is a GIMP file, so I can manipulate it quite a bit.

Not sure these all qualify, but I just chose USN squadrons established before the end of WW2. I could also do a comprehensive display of all USN and USMC squadrons if somebody could publish a list, which would be useful in any event...

That is nice, I see one thing wrong with it (for me that is). It's missing something I just can't put my finger on it! That's cool, I'll try and get a list of squadrons that qualify going as soon as I can. I am currently negotiating a deal on a new Mountain Bike and that is chewing up some of my time. Be back soon!!

20 hours ago, Rex said:

Geez, a list would take a while. Someone would have to go all the way through the squadron histories and take out all of the ones that don't qualify for this build.

And then tick people off by typing up the fact that the old VF-111 qualifies, but, the latest and most famous one doesn't. (depending on VA-156's establishment date, that is)

I hear ya on 111. I am starting to think of adjusting the requirements a little. There are a lot of squadrons out there that we like that fall short as of now. Here is my thinking on this let me know what you all think? I want us to have as many builders as possible and be happy!

Any active squadron that has a legacy that goes back to the date I put out earlier. If the squadron was re-designated from another to the current then it counts.

If the current squadron's logo/name goes back before the date it counts as well. 

1 hour ago, tosouthern66 said:

That is nice, I see one thing wrong with it (for me that is). It's missing something I just can't put my finger on it!

Well let me know if you think of something for this or even some other concept!

It could use some work on the lettering for one thing. 

How about simpler yet?

"Any USN/USMC squadron that existed for more than __ years, under any of their designations" Just pick the range of years you want the unit to have existed. That way, if they got called up from the Reserves during Korea, and stayed in existence for a while, they qualify. If they were squadrons that got called up for the Berlin crisis and only served for 2 years, they wouldn't qualify.

Then you could just refer people to the GoNavy site and have them look up the dates of service for the squadron they are thinking about. 5 years of service seems like a good round number to me,,,,but, whatever number you pick would be easy to work with. If you did still want a list, it would be easy to figure out who goes on it,,,,,,,,but, there has been a TON of squadron types over the decades,,,,it is very much more than just VF, VA and ancestors,,,,,you'd have to list VS, VC, HS, HC, VQ, VAQ, VAH, VFP, HSL,,,,,,,well you get the idea.

We would possibly have everything from Biplanes to Super Hornets, Prowlers, Sea Kings,,,,,,,even the C-2 or US-3 COD would qualify if they were with a VRC. Lots of variety is possible.

I'd love to build a 1/48 F-14 for this, the things just oozes attitude and the colourful squad insignia already have my mouth salivating. 

Problem being, I don't know which F-14 kit to pick up! 

I also wouldn't mind doing a VF-111 Phantom, I've always had a soft spot for the Sundowners. 

Can you guys think of anything other than those mentioned above that might have SEA camo from the Nam era?

On 7/29/2017 at 7:30 AM, tosouthern66 said:

That is nice, I see one thing wrong with it (for me that is). It's missing something I just can't put my finger on it! That's cool, I'll try and get a list of squadrons that qualify going as soon as I can. I am currently negotiating a deal on a new Mountain Bike and that is chewing up some of my time. Be back soon!!

It appears to be missing an USMC squadron, unless I couldn't recognize it under the lettering. Other that, it looks great.

1 minute ago, thewildscrotum said:

I'd love to build a 1/48 F-14 for this, the things just oozes attitude and the colourful squad insignia already have my mouth salivating. 

Problem being, I don't know which F-14 kit to pick up! 

I also wouldn't mind doing a VF-111 Phantom, I've always had a soft spot for the Sundowners. 

Can you guys think of anything other than those mentioned above that might have SEA camo from the Nam era?

Best 1/48 Tomcat is hands down the Tamiya kit. As for Navy squadrons with SEA CAMO, perhaps an RA-5C? RVAH-6 painted theirs up in 1966 or so. 

7 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

Best 1/48 Tomcat is hands down the Tamiya kit. As for Navy squadrons with SEA CAMO, perhaps an RA-5C? RVAH-6 painted theirs up in 1966 or so. 

Hey mate, in what ways does the new Tamiya tooling dominate? I think for us in Australia it would come at an expensive price, ~$130, so is a better investment some PE and a slightly inferior kit?

17 minutes ago, thewildscrotum said:

Hey mate, in what ways does the new Tamiya tooling dominate? I think for us in Australia it would come at an expensive price, ~$130, so is a better investment some PE and a slightly inferior kit?

In a word, no. Get the Tamiya, it's worth every penny. The fit and engineering on this kit will blow your mind, it is an absolute pleasure to build. Don't just take my word for it, read other posts about it--the high regard for this kit is pretty much unanimous.

17 minutes ago, thewildscrotum said:

I hear you on price, but the new Tamiya kit is absolutely the best tooled Tomcat kit there is. It's not perfect, but it's close to it. You can literally build, paint, and decal it in sections (front fuselage, tails, rear fuselage, wings) and bring them all together AFTERWARDS. It fits that good! If you're going to do only one Tomcat, it's worth it to splurge and pick up a Tamiya kit.

6 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I hear you on price, but the new Tamiya kit is absolutely the best tooled Tomcat kit there is. It's not perfect, but it's close to it. You can literally build, paint, and decal it in sections (front fuselage, tails, rear fuselage, wings) and bring them all together AFTERWARDS. It fits that good! If you're going to do only one Tomcat, it's worth it to splurge and pick up a Tamiya kit.

7 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

In a word, no. Get the Tamiya, it's worth every penny. The fit and engineering on this kit will blow your mind, it is an absolute pleasure to build. Don't just take my word for it, read other posts about it--the high regard for this kit is pretty much unanimous.

Wow if it's that good I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the recommendation guys. Are there currently any aftermarket goodies out for it, or being so new they're on the way?

18 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

@thewildscrotum, @Darren Roberts knows a thing or two about 1/48 Tomcat kits, take his word for it!

Thanks Darren and PnP. 

Has the quality of Tamiya moulding greatly increased in the last few years? Or is it just a new tooling on this particular Tomcat? When I took a sabbatical from the hobby (2007-now) they were always good but not lightyears ahead.