Hello all,

A while back I stopped in my local Goodwill to see if there were any kits.  There were no kits but I found this for sale for $1.99.

01_zpsijxtuial.png

It had a sticker on the box stating that it was missing the dice but everything else was there.  I figured that even though I didn't know what to do with them the figures were had to be worth the asking price.

Here are the kits, they are pretty nice for the size.

02_zpshgnnmy6m.jpg

Last weekend I finally got tired of moving them around on my work desk every time that I wanted to work on a kit.  I decided I would make a quick weekend project with them.  A trip to my local dollar store scored me this 7x5 acrylic picture frame.

03_zpsr1e9kuua.jpg

I am going to try and build a small, flat dio on the picture frame and have the X-Wing shooting down one of the Tie's and chasing after the other.

The first thing was to reinforce the picture frame with some epoxy and old sprue.

04_zpsvmfqzuzc.jpg

05_zpsedmci5gi.jpg

In the movie the X-Wing v Tie fighter fight was over some ruins.  I am not trying to recreate the exact scene from the movie but I wanted something close because that doesn't require a lot of imagination.  So in the scene there was some ruins that the characters were running around in.  At this small scale I just used some styrene pieces to build up general shapes.

06_zps3fdpeevg.jpg

Then put a thin skin of Bondo over that and added some parts from the spare parts bin that I will make some more modern building elements in the dio.  Here they are beside the X-Wing to show the size.

07_zpstgu1abwj.jpg

After the Bondo dried I chucked a sewing needle in a pin vise and scratched in some brick detail.

08_zpscup0qngp.jpg

09_zpswp6zi9u9.jpg

I then cast up some rocks with model railroad molds to represent part of a cliff face that will be sticking out of the vegetation.

10_zps0avpbyqi.jpg

Next up was making some tree's.  Several pieces of thin wire were twisted together into tree shapes.

11_zpsyfpxj3rl.jpg

Usually I put a coat of Durhams Water putty over them but I was out of that so I just thinned some Bondo with Acetone and used that to cover the wires.

12_zps629ktja3.jpg

That is where my weekend project ran out of weekend.

I am off work for the next couple of days so I hope to finish the trees, destroy a Tie fighter, add an LED and fill in the rest of the back ground.

Or I might get interested in another project....

Els

Madhatter, I am not really trying to do any perspective with this.  I just want to create something to hang the spacecraft from so I can get them off my desk.

Why are all the photo hosting sites such a pain in the A..????

I finished the tree's.

13_zps2ouvkucr.jpg

and added foliage and the tree's to the background to give it some 3d effect.

14_zpspjpd6toi.jpg

15_zpsiqhmaceh.jpg

Then I worked on the Tie that was shot down.  It was chopped up and wire was added to the other Tie and X-Wing.

16_zps5o5sbfl6.jpg

17_zpskyqekloc.jpg

After installing the LED, some stuffing is inserted where I want the explosion.

18_zpsy9j6wdnt.jpg

Then I sprayed it with orange and black.  I also shot a little orange on the Tie for a reflection from the explosion.

19_zpsy1livlkw.jpg

Then I added the ships and hooked up the battery.  Sorry for the bad pictures but it is hard for my point and shoot to take low light pictures.

20_zpsaeoscbkn.jpg

21_zpsjafp5ttt.jpg

22_zpsigmhbbr5.jpg

23_zps1pocnm6q.jpg

24_zpsjlrmbmga.jpg

It's not bad for a couple of game pieces.  Now back to the motorcycle I was supposed to be working on.

Els

• 1 month later...