BF 109 question

I'm not a 109 guy at all.  I like the bird but I know two things about it... Jack and $hit.  I want to do a G6 and a G10 and a K4.  They all look the same externally so what is different about them?

Andy

There is a lot to say about that. In general, there were loads of sub versions so the differences can vary quite a bit.

The major difference externally is the engine cowling. But that again depends on the specific version.

G6: Symmetrical cowling with two big bulges for the ammunitionfeed of the new MG 131 armament.

G10 / K4. Asymmetrical cowling, the new super charger didn't fit in the cowl, so it was redesigned. The new cowl was big enough to do away

with the need for the two bulges. Bigger super charger air intake, Bigger oil cooler in the lower cowling. Tall tail and redesigned canopy (both also to be found on many G6)

Some G10 and all K4 (as far as I know) had bigger mainwheels and corresponding bigger bulges on top of the wings.

G10 and K4 had longer tailwheel struts for the most part. The K4 had a retractable tailwheel, but there were K4s that were built with the earlier shorter, nonretractable tailwheel.

There is a unique version of the G10 and the K4, built by Erla Leipzig. They also had asymmetrical cowlings, but they were quite different from

the versions built by other factories.

To make matters worse, there were also G6 versions that had an asymetrical cowling, different from the later ones but quite comparable. An earlier development step

so to say.

There are many, many more differences, some small, some big.

I hope that helps a bit.

If you have a specific markings choice in mind we can (probably) tell you which kit/configuration it is. Likewise if you know which kit you want to build, we could point you in the direction of relevant markings.