Trumpeter F-107A (Out of Box)

When it comes to aircraft, I do tend to have a bit of a love affair with the obscure. I like planes that are a bit “unfamous” and am particularly fond of planes that a lot of people either haven’t heard of or haven’t thought of in a while!  I also love protypes and paper projects, or planes that only saw very limited service. 

There’s a lot of potential for what-iffery in models of planes that barely existed. The problem is that because these planes are pretty obscure, it’s not easy to find good injection moulded kits of them! That’s why I was pleased to get my hands on one of Trumpeter’s F-107A kits. The Ultra Sabre was a neat looking plane, and the fact that I’ve personally seen the one at the Dayton Air Force Museum made me even more excited to get one. 

I’m not yet sure what I’m going to do with it; I’ve got a lot of ideas in my head for this one! Before I get there, though, I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at a kit which, while it seemed to make a stir when it first was announced, seems to me to have faded into relative obscurity. 

Check out this odd choice for a mainline release at the link below, and if you’ve got any ideas for what I could do with it, let me know. Right now, I’m thinking West German ground support aircraft!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/trumpeter-172-f-107a-oob/

f-107-oob-002.jpg?w=400

You could also paint it up in SEA camouflage.  Since the F-107 was a competitor the the F-105 in the fighter-bomber role, it's pretty reasonable to think that it would have wound up conducting ground strikes in Vietnam.  That'd certainly be an interesting paintscheme at least.  And certainly historically plausible.

Chris

On 17/05/2017 at 11:07 PM, Chris D said:

You could also paint it up in SEA camouflage.  Since the F-107 was a competitor the the F-105 in the fighter-bomber role, it's pretty reasonable to think that it would have wound up conducting ground strikes in Vietnam.  That'd certainly be an interesting paintscheme at least.  And certainly historically plausible.

With its erm, distinctive design, would it not look fab in heavily weathered/faded SEA colors with bright red extremities? Voila: a QF-107!

Okay this sounds nutty, but i would make it as the Navy A4J-1 Bomber. North American's pitch to offer the high speed strike capability of the "Vigilante" for deployment to the smaller Essex-Class carriers at reduced cost, without all the deck space issues of the A3D.

Incorporate some manually-folding outer wing panels, a beefier arresting hook and a single-wheel nose gear installation, along with BLC along the leading edge of the wing, a retractable IFR probe and some catapult bridle attachment points.

How hard could it be? What could possibly go wong?

Running for cover....

-d-

Yeah,,,,,,,a VA-176 A4J-1 !

That is what you meant, right?

Sort of funny, the F-107A is just about the only jet that has the intake in a logical place for a carrier based aircraft.

(also ducking for cover for my VA-176 crack)

Oh, that's a good idea!

I never thought of the naval aspect of the top-mounted intake! Hmmm... 

I also found out that the GPU-5A pod (Hasegawa weapons set one) fits nicely in the belly recess... How I'm thinking of a fast-mover CAS platform, like the A-16 they were pushing to replace the A-10 (Heresy!).

Okay, I guess I need another one of these things... there's just too much to do with one airframe!

5 hours ago, Faust said:

Oh, that's a good idea!

I never thought of the naval aspect of the top-mounted intake! Hmmm... 

I also found out that the GPU-5A pod (Hasegawa weapons set one) fits nicely in the belly recess... How I'm thinking of a fast-mover CAS platform, like the A-16 they were pushing to replace the A-10 (Heresy!).

Okay, I guess I need another one of these things... there's just too much to do with one airframe!

i have 2 in my stash, surplus to my requirements if you have difficulty finding any.

-d-

On 5/17/2017 at 5:19 PM, Faust said:

When it comes to aircraft, I do tend to have a bit of a love affair with the obscure. I like planes that are a bit “unfamous” and am particularly fond of planes that a lot of people either haven’t heard of or haven’t thought of in a while!  I also love protypes and paper projects, or planes that only saw very limited service. 

There’s a lot of potential for what-iffery in models of planes that barely existed. The problem is that because these planes are pretty obscure, it’s not easy to find good injection moulded kits of them! That’s why I was pleased to get my hands on one of Trumpeter’s F-107A kits. The Ultra Sabre was a neat looking plane, and the fact that I’ve personally seen the one at the Dayton Air Force Museum made me even more excited to get one. 

I’m not yet sure what I’m going to do with it; I’ve got a lot of ideas in my head for this one! Before I get there, though, I thought it would be a good idea to take a look at a kit which, while it seemed to make a stir when it first was announced, seems to me to have faded into relative obscurity. 

Check out this odd choice for a mainline release at the link below, and if you’ve got any ideas for what I could do with it, let me know. Right now, I’m thinking West German ground support aircraft!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/trumpeter-172-f-107a-oob/

f-107-oob-002.jpg?w=400

FAUST;

YES JUST WHAT YOU SAID.... Except I would give my left you know what, to have it in 1/48

Since the -107 wasn't really a "Trumpeter" kit (they bought, used, whatever... the Monochrome kit) it's not really a surprise that there was only the one "available" scale. Man, in 1/48, this would be a big bird!