LEGO's NASA Apollo Saturn V - Real Space Modeling for Kids

Hello everybody,

attention please for all parents and grandads who want to surprise their children and grandchildren. schlaumeier.gif

LEGO's countdown for its NASA Apollo Saturn V model set is running ...

The most powerful rocket ever flown will go on sale on June 1st, the set is approx. 1:110 and costs 119.99 EUR. eek.gif

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=40487.0;

Based on a fan submission to LEGO Ideas by Felix Stiessen and Valérie Roche (saabfan and whatsuptoday on the Lego Ideas website) , the 1.969 piece moon rocket stands more than 3 feet tall when assembled and can be separated into its stages. The set also includes microfigures to scale with the Saturn V, a lunar surface and an ocean surface to display liftoff to landing to present.

002.jpg

Source: collectspace.com

The two LEGO freaks first proposed their Saturn V in 2014. The project received its 10.000th vote in November 2015, qualifying for it for a review by Lego's professional design team. Finally their set was given the "go" to launch as an official product seven months later. speak_cool.gif

After it was approved, the LEGO design team,  After it was approved, the LEGO design team, Michael Psiaki and Carl Thomas Mirriam, took over the project, in order to ensure it lived up to LEGO quality standards.

jNcZME.jpg

Source: shop.lego.com

003.jpg 004.jpg

Source: collectspace.com

Although recommended for kids from 14+, I think that my grandson Max with 12 will also create this awesome model, especially since the kit next to the 12 bulging bags also contains a superbly illustrated construction manual (182 pages), top.gif

34436718171_4c4fea38cd_c.jpg?w=625&ssl=1

Source: brothers-brick.com

otherwise the grandpa must help. up040577.gif

Hello LEGO Fans,

here is still a brief retrospect about the genesis of this great project of the two LEGO Freaks Felix Stiessen & Valérie Roche, (saabfan & whatsuptoday on the LEGO Ideas website), which Felix (Saabfan) described in this e-book. 8)

3P00Gt.jpg

BTW, it is interesting to find in his approach that he first designed the Lunar Module as small as possible with the Lego Digital Designer (LDD), and then has built the rocket simply around it.  speak_cool.gif

Although the two LEGO fans have apparently never met personally, it must have been an awesome long-distance cooperation, which has finally led this project to success. 

And as one can see, much more details were planned, especially to the interior of the rocket (fuel tanks etc.), which unfortunately have not been realized by the LEGO designers Michael Psiaki & Carl Thomas Mirriam. huh.gif

yh0AnR.jpg
Source: shop.lego.com

In addition, the LUT & Mobile Launcher (2902 parts) and Crawler (1373 parts) had also been designed already, which could possibly still come, if the Saturn V might successfully conquer the market ... top.gif

Xgachu.jpg
Source: flickr.com (saabfan2013)

Let's wait and see ... up040577.gif

I've read about this set elsewhere and find it extremely gorgeous piece of work - especially with all the subassemblies inside the craft, namely the "Spider" and the CM.

Although we (or the kids...) have now a lot of modern Lego stuff from City and Friends sets to SW ships and the magnificent Creator buildings, the designers never fail to impress me when new sets come out. I guess I'm still used to the old way of building Legos (you know, just stack bricks on top of another) while these new techniques and parts just make everything possible. 

I'm too old to have had LEGOs around when I grew up but I must say, wrt accuracy, this LEGO version looks as good or better than the big a Dragon kit lol

Hello LEGO Saturn V Fans,

in NASASpaceFlight Forum I came across a contribution by Simon Bradshaw (major_clanger), a lucky fan who got the kit in advance last Saturday via John Lewis (UK department store chain) who had it available for online order. analintruder.gif

i9BiB9.jpg
Source: major-clanger.dreamwidth.org

Over the weekend he spent about 6 hours for building it. speak_cool.gif

Here he has presented his build with a lot of awesome photos.

He is enthusiastic and said inter alia about this kit:

"It's an amazing kit. Within the limits of what you can achieve with Lego, it's remarkably accurate. It's also very impressive - not only is it huge (about 1:110 scale) but it's very solid." 

See you thursday ... up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hello everybody,

yep, with the Saturn 5 LEGO has obviously hit the bull's eye. eek.gif

I have already ordered it yesterday, should come in the next days. up040577.gif

And this is Felix Stiessen, one of the two fan designers of the LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V, at the signing event at the LEGO Store in Shopping City Süd located in Vienna, Austria. 

2998299-o_1bhc6thcg8sl1rp31nuiave73ta.jp
Source: ideas.lego.com

Thanks and congratulation Felix!!! 00003423.gif

Hello friends,

since most probably have yet to wait for the kit, here already the grandiose building instruction (33 MB), which is now also available online. yikes.gif

SZ8rG2.jpg

Well then have a lot of fun with the dry run. up040577.gif

When I asked if/when they would be restocking my Lego store said they had "no idea".

I left the store and ordered a kit online from Lego. I also checked prices on amazon.com but sellers there had already jacked up prices to over $250.

the lego store called yesterday, they got about 20 in at 10am, by noon when i got there there were only 8 left. I picked up one for me and one for my dad.

DSC_8634-XL.jpg

Edited by dylan

And you already made it!? I mean not slowly building and enjoying the process while doing it. And then build some more, but still not finishing it. You know, to spare something for the second or third day too. :) 

Hello guys,

today finally came the birthday gift for my grandson Max, which I bought on May 31st, who will surely be in for a surprise.  yahoo.gif

14pkXs.jpg

But do not worry, the box remains closed, up040577.gif because I will not be distracted from my MLP. i5684_no2.gif

Man I can't wait for this to hit Australia. We will not have them until late July, maybe August. That's from hobby shops I have spoken to, like Hobby Co Sydney. Metro Hobbies in Vic sold out of stock already. It will be on the list of many Apollo models I'm still in the planing for, but it has gone to the top of the list

Edited by ApolloMan
On 6/3/2017 at 9:44 AM, habu2 said:

When I asked if/when they would be restocking my Lego store said they had "no idea".

I left the store and ordered a kit online from Lego.

Stopped by my Lego store yesterday to ask about restocking and was again told "no idea"

Late today I received my shipping notice from Lego Online.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys ... what am I missing with this LEGO toy? I don't get it.

This is a Modelling site, with superb modellers like Vincent Meens, Manfred, Crowe-t. Superb, skilled modellers who know how to build an accurate model from scratch. And this LEGO uh ... 'model' is ... a toy. As a model it's inaccurate, it's clunky and ... it's a LEGO. I stopped visiting Nasaspaceflight because they were getting into LEGO.

So fill me in ... what's the big deal with this um ... 'model'. Why post info about it here and not on a toy site? or Starship Modeler or a site like that?

Be nice ... I just want to know what I'm missing about this.

Thanx

Hi Pete,

you are right, of course, this is no Real Space Modeling in the actual ARC sense. :worship:

Maybe it is stylistic inconsistency for you, but I can not find anything reprehensible about it.

Please don't get into a huff, because I have deliberately chosen the title Real Space Modeling for Kids as an attempt of approaching to the theme from the perspective of our children, so to speak, as a first step. 

BTW, and for LEGO conditions, it's an excellent model, I think. up040577.gif

Please don't misunderstand my questions Manfred ... I really am just curious.

What I mean is, Adam Savage, from Mythbusters fame, has built it, Amy Shira Teitel, from Vintage Space, has built it, modellers here can't wait to build it and I'm just curious as to what I'm missing.

Why is there so much excitement and enthusiasm for this kit ( and its forthcoming LUT ) and not, for instance, for a Saturn 5 styrene model kit?  :dontknow:

I'm not upset in the least, I'm just curious about others' points of view.

Hi Pete,

perhaps it is because everyone (without two left hands ...) with this kit can relatively easy build OOB an imposing model of the legendary Saturn V, which for me is still  - and also will remain - the epitome of manned spaceflight with the moon landing, despite all the love for the fantastic Space shuttles. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman