On 7/23/2017 at 8:56 AM, spaceman said:

Hello LUT Fans,

meanwhile the 5.000 hurdle has now been skipped!!! speak_cool.gif

up058359.jpg

This thing also runs through, betting that? up040577.gif

Currently at 5999 !!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Saturn-V Launch Umbilical Tower just reached the 10,000 supporter level !!!!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/a88109ec-9970-4fe1-98b4-9bd535856ab4/updates

A few days ago the Space Shuttle in the same scale has also reached the 10,000 supporter level

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/50a447cc-0acb-4fff-b3c9-41739fed157c

• 2 weeks later...

I had to wait until the 2nd run of this kit, but finally got one from Lego's online store. Unlike most Lego kits, there is relatively little of the normal brick pattern showing with this kit. The smooth parts are all smooth and it really looks like a Saturn V, not "low res brick pixel" model. A remarkable design effort. Regarding it's relevance to this modeling forum, I'd say that if you ever get a modeling block one of these kits can  give you a break-through modeling experience. Just seeing how they could depict such an iconic shape with such detail using modular pieces is a real eye-opener.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

short and painless: Project Not Approved

Unfortunately, the  LEGO Review Board decided that this project will not be produced as a set, although certainly many freaks will have their fingers crossed, as I myself, too, just because of my grandson Max, who will surely be sad ... :'(

But somehow one can understand the decision quite a bit, because this LUT is just too complex. up040577.gif

Hi everybody,

Valérie Roche (Whatsuptoday),  the French co-designer of the LEGO Saturn V has publicly released a parts list and build guide for the Saturn V LUT for self-building. speak_cool.gif

27072826_1593056637442182_40798611864091

27332129_1591307287617117_750330237510469109_n.jpg?oh=0951e63a037d7498f0e7720317007863&oe=5B26407F

Source: Valérie Roche (Whatsuptoday)

One can visit her here at facebook. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman

Downloaded all the files, instructions are 1428 pages long.   :doh:

The brick list has 3073 parts, made up of 453 different part types (including different colors I assume)

Tried uploading the .lxf file to Bricklink and the verification step errors out on  item No:22885

I think this is because the specified colors are not available for this part.

Tried uploading the .xml file to Bricklink and get a Invalid File Format: Content is not allowed in prolog.

I don't have an xml editor to try to figure out this error.

:bandhead2:     :bandhead2:     :bandhead2:     :bandhead2:     :bandhead2:     :bandhead2:     :bandhead2:

Edited by habu2

Hello all

This Lego Saturn looks great. I have long grown out of Lego, I am 55 now, but this may be the first Lego I buy in 45 years. I remember that we had Lego as kids...and I did build Saturn 5 rockets while the TV was running and folks like Armstrong, Sheppard and Young walked the moon! Lego back then was primitiv. The most "technical" things were a 12V railroad with a black steam engine...anybody remember this? My rockets were not round, they were also not white and black but mostly red, blue and white intermixed. They really did not look like a Saturn 5 but for me they did! In my phantasy they were just like the real thing. Seeing Lego now doing a proper Saturn makes me feel very sentimantal. I am VERY tempted to buy one...and the tower later on as well. Man...I feel like a kid again and it feels great! :-)

cheers

Uwe

So I uploaded the XML from this LUT builder(Bailey Fullarton) on Flikr.  He charged $10 USD for the parts list and instructions.

Saturn V Launch Umbilical Tower

On BrickLink the cost was anywhere from $533 to $1900 USD depending on the store; and that was for 212 out of 235 lots. No wonder why LEGO did not approve it.  I know that if LEGO produced it it would be a bit cheaper.  So it looks like I'll be holding off on a LUT build for now.

23 hours ago, dekon70 said:

On BrickLink the cost was anywhere from $533 to $1900 USD depending on the store; and that was for 212 out of 235 lots. No wonder why LEGO did not approve it.  I know that if LEGO produced it it would be a bit cheaper.  So it looks like I'll be holding off on a LUT build for now.

Out of my league, even at the cheapest price :(  Guess I need to get busy on my EduCraft paper model....

4 hours ago, spaceman said:

Have you started with your LUT? gruebel.gif

I was in a Lego shop today...119EUR for the S-5...but I was able to resist, so far! ;-)

cheers

Uwe

Edited by anj4de
On 16/02/2018 at 11:39 AM, dekon70 said:

So I uploaded the XML from this LUT builder(Bailey Fullarton) on Flikr.  He charged $10 USD for the parts list and instructions.

Saturn V Launch Umbilical Tower

That's what I said. Lego will make more from people buying bricks than buying a kit

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

here's a stunning Time-lapse Video of a LEGO freak who has set to work  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

but beware friends: Addictiveness !!! eek.gif

One needs only approx. 4.600 bricks, and in the answers one finds estimates for the price (Robert Feiner), which amounts to approx. 1.300 EUR. erschrocken3.gif

BTW, the ingenious designer of this LEGO-LUT is  Bailey Fullarton, who should not remain unmentioned. bow.gifbow.gif

And here is a suitable photo from a contribution by Simon Wiens, who has also built this awesome display. 

29595372_10155919698886858_7978677938905