For weeks there has been talk of state of art MiG-21 kits in 72nd scale. I have seen the latest KP kit at the Moson 2017 show a month ago. No surprises, it is the latest rebirth of the RV kit with minimal adjustment to the tooling, but what you get is basically an RV kit with all that it brings with it. For me a lot of disappointments. Could it be only me. . .

In the wake of the KP announcement Eduard was fast to publish some news and photos of its planned MiG-21MF kit but it is still in CAD stages and will not be around for another year. . .

In the meantime has anyone seen this little gem??? This is a brilliant piece of a perfectly polished diamond!!! Kits from Modelsvit have been in the past years improving from good to far better. They have stepped up one more with the Fishbed kit.

21F%201_zpsebxs6mpo.jpg

A friend from the Ukrain has turned up this week with a fantastic kit. I have seen some photos of it here and there but one has to see it with his own eyes to believe what comes in this box. While other manufacturers start a family line of kits from the latest version and work from there backwards the Ukrainian company Modelsvit has taken the opposite approach (just as with its earlier kits) and gone back to the roots. It is not surprising that the Catalogue number 72021 was saved for this kit. Nice touch!

Back in the second half of the 1950’s at the Mikojan OKB a brand new fighter was born. Breaking drastically from the line of MiG-15, -17 and -19 design features and using what was available at the time the new aircraft was armed with just unguided rocket pods (with special missiles optimised for air to air combat) and also two 30 mm cannons. Apart from this it was also capable of carrying bombs for ground attack and a 490 litre drop tank (actually 500 but since you were not able to extract all its content it was designated as 490, with 10 litres splashing around somewhere at its bottom).

An interesting feature of the fighter was the ejection seat which was an inheritance from the MiG-19 family of aircraft. It was the “Curtain type” seat with slight modification but it also needed adjustment to the canopy top which resulted in the two firings on top covering the locking mechanism. The “SK” ejection seat which dominated later versions (F-13, PF and U) was still under development so they had to settle for the MiG-19 seat.

The very narrow tail, early style ventral fin, two cannons and a single under wing landing light were the identifying features of the Type 72 based on its official designation, or MiG-21F the more “open” name for it. Less than 100 were produced before production switched to the more “modern” Type 74 or MiG-21F-13 version already carrying the R-3 Air to Air missile and just one cannon. The F-13 was the version generally known to everyone and the F versions were fast relegated to training units and aviation high schools. This is where one of the examples is still preserved to this day in spotless condition (the kit is based on this one according to some sources). In the Red Army Central Museum in Moscow another example (cn 72210602) is also on display, this is the one known to the wider public.

The MiG-21F was a fairly small aircraft and this is perfectly reflected by the small plastic bag sliding around inside a standard size 72nd scale box. Within this bag we get two more, one to protect the clear parts and the other which holds the decal, the photo etch frame and some masks for painting. The plastic bags provide a perfect protection during transportation. An 8 page, quality paper, flawlessly printed A4 size booklet has all information you need for construction.

21F%202_zpsjtggqtd2.jpg

In all we get 8 sprues of light grey plastic and one for the clear parts. The frames hold 139 parts. A lot for such a small aircraft in 72nd scale!? But they are all needed for the construction. I think only the wing fences are duplicated in plastic and metal and of course the canopy can be displayed both closed and open with two parts broken down accordingly.  

21F%203_zpstjcakrzp.jpg

21F%205_zpsxa8qnhlh.jpg

I love the cockpit and nose design! This is a standard brake down which we have already seen on other Modelsvit kit. This is the part where the kit designer has “a bit” of knowledge of the original aircraft construction and follows it for the kit too. Why should he try to do something else when it is all there, you only need to copy to make a perfect kit design! The intake trunking forms the side walls not only for the cockpit but also for the nose gear well and at the forward end houses the early range finding radar (SRD-5) and the nose cone covering it. In accordance the kit has the two side wall as one part each and it features some fantastic surface details which in most cases superior even to resin aftermarkets. At the same time you get a perfect intake trunking! Astonishing design.

21F%2011_zpsdrbqvpfe.jpg

21F%2012_zpslelkltlp.jpg

Speaking of aftermarkets and ejection seats. The Modelsvits minute “Curtain” seat is made up of 9 parts!!! Some harness parts are provided as further 5 photoetched pars. Remember we are speaking of 72nd scale. This is simply awesome! The “curtain” (as the Russian manuals call it officially, the Martin-Baker equivalent was the “face curtain”) headrest top firing handle is given on the plastic part! It is simply fantastic!

21F%2010_zpsz10fprn6.jpg

Speaking of fine details it is worth having a look at both the main and nose gear wheels. They have some stunning details, the kind often missing even from 48th scale kits or even resin aftermarket parts. All the small intakes and antennas are included on the plastic sprues. Take extreme care when handling them, cutting and gluing! They are very small, a true scale replica of the original. Some fuel lines, compressed air bottles and different extra parts give detail to the undercarriage bays. In the cockpit even the brake leaver on the control stick is provided separately as a photoetch part.

21F%2016_zpsz2wvi2np.jpg

For the instrument panel a choice is given between a plain one which will take the decal or one with all the instruments represented in plastic on it. At the other end of the kit a superb R-11F-300 engine exhaust is provided, featuring a very nice conical afterburner flame holder rings (with groves in their surface), the inside details of the exhaust petals is given as photoetch. The corrugated inside walls are provide in three parts and build up into a seamless ring inside the two part afterburner can. The depth of the exhaust is a scale replica of the original, it seems a little deep, but this is the way it is on the real aircraft.  The area immediately after the cockpit has typical fuel lines, control rods and a small frame from photoetch all provided as separate parts. No compromises by the manufacturer, this is the reason for the bigger part number of the kit.   

What you will not get in the kit, are the open airbrakes and extended flaps. If something then this will be something for the aftermarkets to produce, if someone is into that sort of thing. Also missing are the horizontal DUA vanes on the pitot. The verticals are there in plastic. From what I have seen and read about the F version I am sure that they did not have the DUA vanes on the pitot, the Moscow aircraft is missing them just as other surviving F’s. So just cut off the vanes on the pitot. Anyway I think I will be using the pitot from the superb Master range, from Poland and leave the vanes off. On the other hand this could be a hint of things to come in the future. This sprue is a common one, while the one for the fuselage is exclusively for the MiG-21F. So  . . .  

Till now nothing has been mentioned of the kit surface details. It is nicely polished with very fine engraved lines. There are no rivets on it, but I don’t think there should be any in 72nd scale. Maybe only the fasters on different panels which should have been added, but I can live without them.  The main parts have no location pins on them but this is part of this technology.

21F%2018_zpsg9iiysar.jpg

21F%2019_zpsxbf3ispk.jpg

Remember this is a short run kit, if I haven’t mentioned this before so the sprues are fairly thick and I have encountered a minimal amount of on the clear sprues, but nothing serious. The canopies are superbly clear and transparent. Masks are provided both for the outside and the inside painting of the frames.

The 16.5 x 5.5 cm decal sheet apart from different instrument decals for the cockpit has six red stars and more than 100 stencils. The printing is flawless and in perfect register. Two aircraft are catered for (cn 72210604 red “25” and cn 72210502 as red “02”) in the kit, both in the natural metal finish (this was true natural metal with different sheens of metal on panels and not overall painted aluminium) and for each of them the appropriate factory number stencils are given, which are all over the aircraft. The stencils are legible, even the small ones if someone is to read them under a microscope. (I have only seen this after looking at the photos and blowing them up way out of proportions.)

What else can I say? This is a fantastic little kit, I love it! Oh yes the price. It costs me a little over 20 Euros and since it arrived to the house there was no postage on it. Thanks again to my friend. For me worth every penny of it!

Any questions are welcome.

As an epilogue:

The big mainstream kit manufacturers should have a closer look at this kit and apply for places in this school of kit design and manufacture. There is a lot to learn from Modelsvit!

For me the question of MiG-21 in 72nd scale is no longer a question. I have found what I was looking for in the past decades. And anyway in 72nd just like in 48th for example Eduard has put the MiG-21F-13 at the very last place in its plans, so if they ever going to get around making the early version it will be something like 2 or 4 years from now. So why should I wait especially since I am 1000% sure that they will only do the F-13 or to be more precise the Czech license manufactured version of it which differed from the original Russian F-13.

Modelsvit congratulation on a great kit and I for one hope that this is only the start of a very interesting series of kits of the Fishbed family in this scale. I will be waiting for them!

Best regards

Gabor

Here is a bit more. Managed to up-load few pictures from the original review photos.

Here is the package when you open the box with the two main bags.

21F%204_zpskpskgzbe.jpg

One side of the transparent sprue with the canopy in open configuration.

21F%2022_zpszpols1ua.jpg

The photoetch set which helps with some of the smaller and finer details. It is interesting that the inverted T shaped antennas on the bottom wing tips which are for the radio altimeter system are no included as photoetch but rather as plastic parts. Mind you they are perfect in plastic form too.

21F%2024_zpsybkqjquh.jpg

A close up of the decal sheet.

21F%2025_zpsemcbz7fq.jpg

Have to add that since yesterday I could not resist and cut off few parts to try some dry fitting and to see the quality of the plastic.  Parts go together nicely, but you have to remember there are no location pins so take care and some patience is required.

You might expect that I also had a closer look at the ejection seat. Did some cutting, cleaning and gluing. WOW. Nice one.

Hope to be able to show some photos later.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Janman

Yee, I also look forward to the F-13 version. 

Yes the kit is pretty but lets see how it builds! The fit of the parts so far is OK but I only did some dry fit of the big parts. Will be interested to see how the complex intake/nose gear/cockpit assembly behaves with the fuselage halves.

Seen some comments on Russian forums concerning the Modelsvit Su-17M3 build where questions were raised about the fit of parts with engine and cockpit/nose in place. Will have to see for myself how this one goes together.

It is obvious that it is a short run kit, no location pins and little more patience is needed. The ejection seat was built today and so far so good. Will have photos of it soon. Will have to dig up my photos of the Moscow museum aircraft and its cockpit before painting. 

Best regards

Gabor

Whilst I agree with Gabor about the surface quality of the mouldings and the outline accuracy of the subject, may I add a note of caution regarding the buildabilty of Modelsvit kits.

I have built a few now - and whilst I have enjoyed the builds, I have to say that they are not the easiest of kits to assemble.

By the very nature of the 'limited run' production, the fit of parts is not of Tamiya quality - every part has to be 'fettled' to square up edges, remove the pouring stubs that intrude onto the outer surfaces of the parts and generally, every part needs some attention to clean up.

I haven't built the new MiG-21F, but I have built Modelsvits MiG I-3U, E-150 and E-150A and in each case I had problems getting the cockpit and jetpipe sub-assemblies to fit inside the fuselage halves and get the fuselage halves to join up.

I had to remove lots of plastic from the sub-assemblies before the two halves of the fuselage would mate up - something I am currently experiencing with Modelsvits new MiG -152M kit.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter of Modelsvit kits and more power to them - but, in my experience, they do require some work to build.

Ken

E-150 and E-150A....

mig-e152_35.jpg

MiG I-3U...

e-150_014.jpg

Some other recent Modelsvit builds.... Tu-91 Boot, Tu-22KD , Bartini VVA-14  

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the comments. Very interesting. I will be trying out some parts of the kit to see how it builds. I think you have said somewhere before that Modelsvit is improving from kit to kit. Hope this is true and the problems you have experienced have been ironed out by now.

I have tried out the ejection seat. Well, actually it is built already, it took an hour or two. There was a very minute shift in the alignment of the press forms which resulted in a microscopic step between the two sides of each plastic part. Nothing serious and the seat was built without any problems and looks gorgeous!  As for the problem with the sprue, a slight correction of the press form (back at Modelsvit HQ where ever it is) would make it non existent. I have compared the plastic to the original MiG-19PM “Curtain” type seat that I have in my collection and have to say it is perfect replica. Have to remind everyone this is here 72nd scale and it is from the original plastic in the box and not an aftermarket resin seat or anything added to it (apart from my work)!!!

I will have a closer look at the cockpit / intake / nosegear bay unit and also the engine exhaust to see how they fit in the kit. Will report on it soon.

In order to make use of time, mean while some of the wheel half’s were glued together and set aside for few days to leave time for the glue to set.

Till now I have not experienced any problems with the kit.

Hope to have photos soon of the work so far. That is if I can win a fight against the Photobucket monster. :angry:  

Best regards

Gabor

22 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

Nice review, Gabor!

Have you seen their K-36 seats found in M-17 and Su-17 kits? They are made of more than 20 parts each! and that in 1:72! Wonder what your take on those would be.

Hi Sebastijan,

I will have a look. Have the Su-17M3 kit as well as the earlier Su-17 version from Modelsvit (which of course only has the KS-4 seat). The K-36 seat in the M3 kit is the later "K-36DM Seria 2" version with the smaller headrest. There is no clear division line between the instalation of the earlier "big headrest" K-36DM seats and the Seria 2 versions. I think I have seen both used. Hope Modelsvit will make the earlier version of the seat one day too.

At the moment some I have a lot of other work to do as well as some testing of the MiG-21F kit. Last night had a little time to see how the engine fits into the fuselage. Only a dry run but I can see no problem with the size of the engine parts and the fuselage closes up as it should. So excellent so far!

As said before there are improvements by Modelsvit with every kit. Had a look at the earlier Su-17 kit they made and have to say it is very far from the quality of the MiG-21F kit.

Best regards

Gabor

On 25/05/2017 at 10:25 AM, Sebastijan said:

Have you seen their K-36 seats found in M-17 and Su-17 kits? They are made of more than 20 parts each! and that in 1:72! Wonder what your take on those would be.

This is the K-36 seat from the Modelsvit M-17 kit.... judge for yourselves....

m-17_modelsvit_14.jpg

.... and painted up....

m-17_modelsvit_50.jpg

Zooming in (and my painting skills) doesn't do it justice

Ken

4 hours ago, Flankerman said:

[ Modelsvit K-36 seat] ... judge for yourselves....

But ... but ... but you're the expert, Ken, so is it acceptable/good/excellent/etc.?

Thanks,

Gene K

40 minutes ago, Gene K said:

But ... but ... but you're the expert, Ken, so is it acceptable/good/excellent/etc.?

Gabor is the Seat Guy :)

Edited by Laurent

This is an off topic, but since the question was asked and it relates to the Modelsvit kits, here it is.

Today I took few photos of the K-36DM Serija 2 ejection seat so that you can make a comparison for yourself. It is an original, first production version where they still used black leather for upholstery of the seat. Of course todays seats are all produced by Zvezda with the greenish textile upholstery as well as retrofitted to earlier examples during overhaul.

While the harness system is there on the seat (this version had the integral harness and not the one worn by pilots where they simply clamped to the seat attachment points the IPS-72 body harness) you are missing the straps for the parachute coming out from the head box and attached to the red connectors of the shoulder harness.

One more difference in comparison to the early versions is that the harness has been changed to black colour from the light grey of the original production seats. It was changed on overhaul after the validity of the original expired.  

Tried to take a photo from a similar angle as the one Ken took.

K-36DM%20S%202%201_zpspyjvuygq.jpg

When I have time I will do a quick build of the Modelsvit K-36 seat to see how it goes together and how good it is. Should report on this in a separate forum as to not mix it with the MiG-21 F  kit.

Best regards

Gabor

After some more fight with the system I have managed to upload some more photos of the Modelsvit MiG-21F kit. Here are some sprue pictures.

21F%209_zpssxl9bece.jpg

21F%208_zpse55kwwc1.jpg

21F%207_zpsnv7a67ek.jpg

21F%206_zps3ojjcf9q.jpg

21F%2015_zps4b4iy7ne.jpg

The front part of the UB-8 missile launcher. it looks good.

21F%2014_zpszugynf32.jpg

The main gear bay side wall. How is this for detailing?

21F%2017_zps5hjhs7xp.jpg

After adding all the plastic parts, this is how the "Curtain" type ejection seat looks. Remember there are still some photoetch details to go on it. It is interesting that a plastic “base” is provided for some of the photoetch straps to give them some depth.

21F%2035_zpskzfmn5jh.jpg

21F%2036_zpsb3expwcr.jpg

The seat and for comparison the new Hungarian currency for size comparison. :))))   :rolleyes: :coolio:  

21F%2037_zpssmhf5jly.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Wow, I really like this kit! The seat is just spectacular, but so are the other details too.

Although this thread only deals with the "F" version and most of us hate the endless wishes for their "own" personal favorite version, I still do hope an F-13 will be released too. I trashed my Revell FinAF F-13 along time ago and there's an empty spot on my shelf for a new one alongside the Finnish bis. If not, I might get this anyway. I mean who doesn't love the pure and functional lines of the MiG-21!

Gabor, what comes to K-36, I took a couple of quick shots of the grey seat I mentioned a while ago. I'll dig them up and show you them later. 

1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Why ?

Hi Laurent,

Do you need to ask this question??? :))  I would not comment on that OTHER kit, just say that I sold it as fast as possible after doing a review of it for our modeling publication.

Hi Janman,

According to "sources" Modelsvit is planing to do the MiG-21 F-13 next. It should be around this year. As I have said before the sprues give a hint that the F-13 will be next in line. :woot.gif:

It should be a hit, but for the moment I love this little "supersonic sports plane". I did speaking to many of our Fishbed pilots and most of them said that the most enjoyable plane to fly was the F-13 version out of all the MiG-21's. It was a real sports plane with a powerful jet engine in it. As to its military potential there are different opinions, its range was also limited but the FUN factor was a real No.1!

Speaking of its military potential I think the Vietnam conflict has shown that it was not that bad after all but we should not go into this sidetrack here.

The Modelsvit MiG-21F kit based on work so far still confirming my initial opinion and the title of this forum.

Best regards

Gabor  

Edited by ya-gabor
6 hours ago, Laurent said:

Why ?

Now that I think of the kit (although I remember recommending it) it had some fit issues - especially and above all - with the nose ring, some childish looking details and I simply made mine too hastily, which really showed. So I slowly developed a hatred towards it and eventually donated it to my brother so that he could give it to his step children. 

23 minutes ago, janman said:

Now that I think of the kit (although I remember recommending it) it had some fit issues - especially and above all - with the nose ring, some childish looking details and I simply made mine too hastily, which really showed. So I slowly developed a hatred towards it and eventually donated it to my brother so that he could give it to his step children. 

Ok thanks.

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Janman,

According to "sources" Modelsvit is planing to do the MiG-21 F-13 next. It should be around this year. As I have said before the sprues give a hint that the F-13 will be next in line. :woot.gif:

Good !

• 2 weeks later...

I have only did some dry runs of different parts but had in the meantime some real fights with Photobicket which is a pile of stinking XXXX.

Here is a trial with the after area.

The engine exhaust parts. The afterburner flame holder rings are still missing from the whole set. It is very delicate and for the moment it is still on the sprue. Also missing are the photoetched spacers for the engine centre body.

21F%2032_zpszqsyim13.jpg

This is how it all fits into the fuselage halves.

21F%2033_zpsgsv09bwh.jpg

And when closed up. For the moment there are no issues here. The fuselage halves fit perfectly around the engine parts.

21F%2034_zps8bbxshus.jpg

Here is a trial with the fuselage. It is a very small jet plane I have to add.

21F%2028_zpsou4att1h.jpg 

The cockpit area will be next. Here is the nose gear bay in the dry run build. I will have to see how the fuselage closes up with the cockpit/nose bay combo in place.

21F%2029_zpsrfgzopud.jpg

Best regards

Gabor