Here is a bit more on the detail of the Modelsvit MiG-21F kit.

This is how you can see through the canopy. It is as clear as it can be I would say.

21F%2023_zpssukjfo5r.jpg

The main wheel was glued and this is how it looks. No weld line is visible, the fit is very good. A very little sanding was applied, no surface details lost and the result is great. Or is it only me . . .

21F%2038_zpsds8bwdra.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

So the war is on with crap photobucket and they errased all my photos. Sorry for this. 

The worldwide destructive impact of PhotoBucket's  ransom ploy is unbelievable. Will be interesting to see if they get away with it ... and if they do, how well they will survive.

Gene K

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Will be interesting to see if they get away with it ... and if they do, how well they will survive.

Non-pro users weren't paying anything in first place so Photobucket didn't make any money from them right ?

What is happening???  Have I missed something? Is it only my photos or others have also been affected?

Is it like the blackmail virus going around this week only this one is dressed up in official disguise?

Best regards

Gabor

12 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

What is happening???  Have I missed something? Is it only my photos or others have also been affected?

Is it like the blackmail virus going around this week only this one is dressed up in official disguise?

Best regards

Gabor

As it looks now, Photobucket decided to terminate free sharing of the photos - users still have them on their accounts but the hotlinks don't work anymore, unless you pay for a subscription.

27 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

As it looks now, Photobucket decided to terminate free sharing of the photos - users still have them on their accounts but the hotlinks don't work anymore, unless you pay for a subscription.

This is great! Just what we have been looking for! :woot.gif:   :worship:   :thumbsup2:   Thats the way to go!

What can I say? It would not be easy to replace the photos, going back years and years. So I am sorry.

Will have to find another way to post photos in the future. 

The service (if one can call it service, I would not do this) photobucket provided in the past was a heap of stinking horse manure (this is not a 4 letter word so I think I can use it here) if not you can take me in front of firing squad and . . .

So what they do (not service) is not something that one would want to pay for! No way!!! 

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

From http://photobucket.com/terms

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

15 minutes ago, Laurent said:

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

If I remember correctly from the news the Petr virus this week was demanding 300 USD. So the photobucket excellent deal is really like it with its 399.9999999 price!

Reading through the previous page and past experiences with this provider I remembered all the crap add's that were loaded by photobucket time and time again while I tried to up load my photos. In most cases they down loaded 30-40MB of crap while I tried in vain to upload my photos. And now they expect me to pay for this??? No way! 

Yee I have a look around for something else.

Best regards

Gabor

24 minutes ago, drake122 said:

Just use imgur.com like everyone else does noawadays.... why do all modellers cling on to flickr, photobucket, etc.?

Why cling to photobucket???

Well:

*   I had all the photos there,

*   because I did not want to change providers ever time a new came along

*   at the begining it was easy to use

*   . . . .

I dont want to be a computer scientist with intimate knowledge of all the possible programs (which change as I speak ) to post my photos! I just want to use the dam thing. It is like with a ball point pen, I just want to write with it without having to learn all the manufacturing technology that goes into making a Biro!

Most certainly will look for another provider, but I dont think I will replace from my archive the photos lost with photobucket. I would have to do that for every one of them one-by-one, going back year and year. No way. 

Best regards

Gabor

So where was I?

It is not easy to continue after the PB problem. I would say most of the work done before has gone down the drain. I mean all the forums by modellers from around the world with some unique ideas, some rare photos or fantastic kit builds.

What now?

I don’t know, several questions will be raised. Are we going back to the dark middle ages of pre internet? Mind you I like printed aviation magazines and modelling publications but of course they are nowhere as fast as the internet.

The reason for pessimism:

OK everyone will get over the PB question. Start posting or even repost all the missing photos no matter how time consuming it is (not me).  Find another provider be it free or at a reasonable price, but what are the guaranties that this will not happen again, someone else will think over the business policy and one nice morning after his (or hers) breakfast tee (or coffee) we will find that all the photos are blocked again. How many times can we do this???????

One other thing: how will Photobucket decision affect the different modelling forums (and thousands of other users on the net)???? I don’t find too much fun in reading articles here or on Britmodeller or the Russian scalemodels . ru where most of the photos are gone and replaced with the ransom note of the “provider”. This will influence how many people are visiting the sites and will influence the forum owners and their business and if the advertisers think that they are no longer interested in using these forums then we will have to speak in past tense about ARC, or Britmodeller or any of the other ones. :((

Have to say that I lost my enthusiasm to publish anything and have seen post from others saying that they don’t have the itch to do this or that kit anymore.

Anyway I try to continue this one on the Modelsvit MiG-21F aircraft as the kit is great and deserves to have few more words said about it.      

Had a lot of work with my ejection seat collection/museum and then came all the fuss with Photobucket. So now for me the only way to publish anything is by adding just one photo below 0.1MB at a time. Will see when I can add the second one.

So here is the canopy of a Type 74, better known as MiG-21F-13. It is a factory fresh canopy which I had with all the original metal protective covers(outer and inner) and internal brown paper protection. You can say it came in a plain brown envelope, if you know what I mean! :)))

(Reading “Red Eagles” book about the use of Fishbeds in US I am sure the team at Tonopah would have loved to have this one as a replacement piece after one of the fighters had lost it.)

Anyway I use it in my museum to illustrate how the canopy locks onto the SK seat during high speed ejection. Here I took it off and had with me a Federal Standard colour fan to try and find a suitable match. Well, in the MiG OKB they did not care too much about F.S. colours or RAL or any standard just the Russian ones.  A bluish grey was chosen for the cockpit colour which continues onto the canopy framing. It has a strong blue in it. There is no F.S. match for it, just “something similar”. Here are two which were a near miss.

F.S. 34277 but it needs a bit more blue into it and it should be a lighter shade.

F.S. 34233 is better but once again a lighter shade would have been a closer match.

Nothing else that came as close as the above two. Sorry.

Hope this is of some help to anyone deciding on cockpit colour for the Modelsvit MiG-21F kit.

Best regards

Gabor

74 canopy color 2.jpg

Edited by ya-gabor
  • 1 year later...

This is going back to May of 2017. Two years has passed since then and now the MiG-21F-13 is just around the corner. 

The above view of the earlier MiG-21F kit is a view of what could be expected from the new kit. But of course remember that 2 years have passed and Modelsvit has improved in many ways. So. . .

I look forward to the SK ejection seat in the new kit. Just look at the details of the early version "Curtain" type seat which was used on the F type. The thing is that all the parts are there in the kit. Nothing was added only glue!  I would say much better than any resin aftermarket!!!

Best regards

Gabor