Wingman 1:48 F-16D Block 30/50 conversion set

Hi 

Have anyone used the newest Wingman 1/48 F-16D conversion set (Block 30/50 edition)? 

I have the kit and tried it this evening, however the back of the cockpit conversion part sits way too high in the joint towards and compared to the Tamiya kit parts, and I would like some input on how others may have experienced the fit? 

Appreciate any input as I really would like to solve this issue and do a good conversion 

On 5/20/2017 at 6:06 PM, Niels said:

Hi 

Have anyone used the newest Wingman 1/48 F-16D conversion set (Block 30/50 edition)? 

I have the kit and tried it this evening, however the back of the cockpit conversion part sits way too high in the joint towards and compared to the Tamiya kit parts, and I would like some input on how others may have experienced the fit? 

Appreciate any input as I really would like to solve this issue and do a good conversion 

Not understanding the issue. Is this the cockpit tub? the upper fuselage?... Pictures? A bit more info will help.. 

The fit at the wing root is very nice, but not over the back as I have tried to illustrate in these photos; 

I've tried removing the pin holding the part in place without luck, hence wondering what others may have done? 

100_0029.jpg

100_0031.JPG

100_0030.JPG

Edited by Niels

There was a thread about problems with the aftermarket set. I believe the first sets cast came out much the way you describe and people were given replacement sets. I never bought one and didn't pay much attention to the issue. But maybe someone can help point you in the right direction.  

Thanks, the first issue with these conversion sets were shrinkage lengthwise. This is more a hight/width problem, although I am not able to say exactly what it is. 

IIRC they had a bad batch of parts caused by some RTV molds that were poured outside the ambient temperature specs the silicone manufacturer specified.  The result was the molds had some dimensional shrinkage that was reflected in the cast parts.  It took them a while to run it down because usually shrinkage is the result of resin problems.  They were very good about sending replacement parts to everyone affected.

Cameron

Thanks Cameron, well aware of the old problem but as shown in the photos this is not the same problem. 

I have just sent over the photos to Andreas @ Wingman so hope to hear from them soon. 

Folks, 

I'll be getting a replacement part from Wingman as this is apparently a mis-cast. Excellent service, so do not fear this conversion set!

Try a dry fit of the upper fuselage part. It might be a tad shorter than the tamiya part. I think the casting can not be done better and so when it is less than 1 mm call it good. Otherwise the set is really good and nice, details are good, too. 

• 2 months later...

Did you ever receive your replacement piece? I experienced a problem with mine contacted Wingman who directed me to his caster in Israel. Sent email with a mailing address, got a reply he would shop one out. A month later no piece, got an email reply and now another month past 2 more emails sent with no replies. Starting to wonder if I wasted $40 on this junk. Guess we have to wait for Tamiya to release one. Anyone else have problems with the fit of this kit.

Funny you bring this up, as I contacted them in late may, and was promissed a replacement. As I've bought one set before this last one, I also requested replacement for the first - which was granted. 

Come late June, and still nothing received. The friend in Israel promissed to resend but to date nothing has been received. Hence I have sent a reminder with copy to Andreas Klein of Airdoc who is the other half of Wingman team. 

Still waiting for a response...... 

Don't know what to say to you guys.  I sent them some pics of mine and got a replacement a couple of weeks later.  Nothing but good things to say about the customer service.  I'm a bit put off by the "buyer beware".  A number of people have had positive experiences, with only a couple of bad.  None of us are perfect, and Wingman seems pretty committed to making sure that they fix the problem.

Cameron

I am not saying "buyer beware", and exactly for this reason have I not posted any updates - I was however holding off on posting an update this until I had received the replacements. Honestly my experience was originally positive with good dialogue and quick response.  

But after nearly 3 months without anything arriving it is allowed to raise an eyebrow. 

Andreas Klein is usually very serious about his business, and I have trust that he takes the necessary action 

Until I hear more I trust that we all give them the benefit of doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update, Andreas came through and bypassed his caster in Israel and sent me a new fuselage piece. Fit is way better than the original piece, but still had a huge step in the center section. I removed the tab piece from the Tamiya part, left the two small placement holes and when pushing  the Wingman part down it fits real good. 

I also received my replacement from Andreas yesterday, but was let off by the step still there. Thanks for clarifying how to get rid of this, as it was a bit anoying to say the least to find it still there.