Hey all,

Need help from the experts on a 1/72 '91 Gulf War CH-124A conversion.  I've had the Belcher Bits modification set for a few years now and I recently picked up a Cyber Hobby SH-3D and am thinking of using it for a CH-124A.  Can anyone point out any problems I may encounter or suggestions on what can be further upgraded.  Just off the top of my head I see that aft of the engine housing the CH-124 has a horse shoe type overhang over top of the tail rotor shaft housing.  are there other things I need to fix?  Also does anyone have any good cockpit and cabin pictures circa 1991?  Thanks in advance

Edited by ILuvMigs
unclear scale

Well first you need three Belcher Bits modification sets. Sponsons and Radar from the first. Gulf mods from the third and I am thinking parts from the second set. Can't remember if you need the tubes for the belly but I "think" there was other stuff in there you needed.

As for the kit, I have never heard of it. I used the 1/48 Hasegawa.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Well first you need three Belcher Bits modification sets. Sponsons and Radar from the first. Gulf mods from the third and I am thinking parts from the second set. Can't remember if you need the tubes for the belly but I "think" there was other stuff in there you needed.

As for the kit, I have never heard of it. I used the 1/48 Hasegawa.

The Cyber kit is 1/72, I didn't know Belcher had his sets in 1/72.

Sorry guys I wasn't clear on the scale.  @Scooby yeah got it many years ago.  @Phantom I believe the 1/72 Belcher Bits mod set has all those parts.  It contains CPI, Sonobuoy launcher and chute tubes, FLIR turret, flare dispenser, IR Jammer and Chaff and flare dispenser.  As for the radar and sponsons I believe they are all provided in the kit as extras. They even provide the strake for the port fuselage.

Edited by ILuvMigs

There are a number of things to watch out for and correct - the Cyber-Hobby kit is based on its original release as the Westland HC.4, and has a number of moulded-in features and add-on items from that version which are not applicable to a CH-124A (or many other versions come to that).

One example is the Decca aerial - the box just aft of and below the main cabin door - it's moulded integrally with the fuselage half, and needs removing and the resultant hole to be filled. Others are easier - such as the 'Commando Step' that they'd have you fit under the cabin door, which simply has to be left off.....

You've already identified the missing aft doghouse fairing, and a simple plastic card shroud can be made (using a suitably-scaled photo of an etched set as a template - https://www.eduard.com/store/out/pictures/z1/72562.gif) - more difficult to correct is the shape of the nose, which is not rounded/prominent enough below the windscreen line.

I have one Cyber-Hobby SH-3D, acquired purely to use the HC.4 parts and a few other items on some of my Revell and Fujimi kits - one of the latter will be my CH-124A....

You can check out some of my completed Sea King builds here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986213-172-revell-sea-king-aew2-849-nas-1993/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989958-172-revell-sea-king-mk4x-rae-farnborough-1986/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017400-revell-172-sea-king-has1-hms-ark-royal-1976/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235021129-revell-172-sea-king-has6cr-845-nas-bosnia-herzegovina-2005/

Edited by andyf117

I believe the Belcher kit was designed for the Fujimi as that was the best Sea King in 1/72 for years but you should be able to use it on a Cyber kit. There was a two issue IPMS Canada RT article on Canadian Sea Kings that showed all the minor changes to make on the Fujimi kit (windows to open or close off various intakes and vents and which fuel tank accesses to fill and leave open and such that would be good to get a copy of if you can.There are also good interior shots in the article but might be somewhat dated now.They seem to be posting old RTs on the IPMS Canada site now but it is volunteer work and I don't know if these issues are there yet.

I don't have that particular Cyber kit but have the two British machines they made and all of their kits are missing the fairing you mention (bad on their part) , but they aren't that bad but some people find the nose shape wrong. Also the port fuselage strake you mention is a more recent addition on British Sea Kings and now Canadian machines but it wasn't always there so check your references as I don't believe it was there on Canadian machines circa 1991. The new Airfix kit released in Rescue markings (with paints unfortunately) appears to be the best starting point now but may require parts from others kits ( I believe it has both five and six blade tail rotors but can't recall for sure right now) and good research  but seems to be the nicest Sea King in 1/72 and has the potential to be released in other versions but you can certainly use the Cyber kit.

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by RCAFFAN

If you are coming to the RockyMountainModelClub/IPMS Calgary model contest in Nanton on June 10th, I could try to find my copies (packed away in a box after a recent move) and arrange to meet you with copies if you are interested. We should probably continue such conversations by PM but the contest can always use the publicity.....:cheers: