Airbrush compressor upgrade time?

Hi all, I am definitely not new to the hobby or ARC but I am looking to get back into it after some years of in activity while in the military. My question is regarding my current airbrush/compressor set up. Currently I have a passche VL with a generic brand hardware store air compressor. I have had both going on 15 years but only has the chance to use them for one model about 10 years ago. I included pictures of both the compressor as well as the panther tank to get an idea of what I am working with. 

So I have a few questions regarding this:

1-should my airbrush still be ok? I am not sure if years in storage cause havoc to the internal gaskets (if there are any)?

2- I remember my compressor seeming to run out of pressure pretty consistently the last time I used it, do I need a new compressor that is made for the task or do I need to get a water trap and regulator? Does my compressor support this? (Please see pictures) my budget would max out at about $200 and I am willing to go for a used quality compressor. 

3- I am looking at trying to get at least a few years out of whatever set up I end up with, will my airbrush be up to the task? Aside from the air pressure issue I don't think I have any complaints about it. Also if it makes any difference I am planning on using it for everything from F1 cars to military models. 

Thanks for for the help!! 

Edit:working on getting pictures uploaded 

File_000_1.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

Edited by M1A1TC

Without seeing pictures, if what you have works, use it until it won't any more. If you're  compressor is what I think it might be  noise might be the only big issue. I would recommend a moisture trap. You can get air hoses with the trap on them or pick up a cheapie at Harbor Freight. This gives you time to save for the compressor of your dreams and lots of practice to raise the bar.

On 5/21/2017 at 9:32 AM, M1A1TC said:

1-should my airbrush still be ok? I am not sure if years in storage cause havoc to the internal gaskets (if there are any)?

2- I remember my compressor seeming to run out of pressure pretty consistently the last time I used it, do I need a new compressor that is made for the task or do I need to get a water trap and regulator? Does my compressor support this? (Please see pictures) my budget would max out at about $200 and I am willing to go for a used quality compressor. 

3- I am looking at trying to get at least a few years out of whatever set up I end up with, will my airbrush be up to the task? Aside from the air pressure issue I don't think I have any complaints about it. Also if it makes any difference I am planning on using it for everything from F1 cars to military models. 

1 - it *should* be fine, assuming it's been stored in normal conditions.  If it's been crusted in paint, or you left it full of solvents, or used harsh chemicals previously, or left it sitting out in a tropical jungle or something, it may be a little rough, but assuming it's just been sitting in a box somewhere, there shouldn't be much wrong with it.  It would probably be worth doing a teardown so you can take a look at the gaskets - are they soft and pliant or stiff and brittle - but they're a cheap, easy replacement if you see any problems.

2 - Depends.  If your compressor doesn't have any way to regulate air, then yes, you'll want a regulator.  A moisture trap's usefulness depends on your climate - if you're in Arizona, no; if you're in Florida, yes.  You'll be able to add *some* kind of moisture trap to any setup, whether it threads on between the compressor and your air hose, or it's in-line in the hose.

3 - Any airbrush can be made to work for any task, with practice, skill and technique.  So from that sense, your brush is fine.  Apart from that, it's mostly down to personal preference and the *specific* way you want to use your brush.  And it's hard to determine that when you're starting out.  The VL is a good, general purpose brush and you certainly don't *need* to replace it.  I'd suggest waiting, figuring out the ways in which you want to use the brush, then deciding if the VL is up to the job, or whether you'd be better off getting another brush.

Here's my new setup, as of January 2015. This model is no longer available but, one similar has replaced it. It's super quite and is more than adequate for my needs. I spray at around 10 - 12 PSI and it works great. I ordered it thru Home Depot, online, and had it shipped directly to my house. When it arrived I took the receipt to my local store and got them to take off  my military discount on the total price. All said and done the total was $179.30. I have a Paasche VLS, a GREX Tridium TG3 and, a Anest Iwata RG-3L-2 " Baby Series " spray gun and this compressor handles them all with ease. Hope this helps.

Steve

IMG_4381_zps3ghzkjoi.jpg