Empty boxes for sale! Wait, empty boxes for sale?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Northrop-T-38A-Talon-Minicraft-Hasegawa-Airplane-Model-Kit-BOX-1-72nd-Scale-/272672846775?hash=item3f7c9173b7:g:1gYAAOSw-0xYPqpQ

I can't be the only one who has stumbled upon this before. Once in a while, I'll find someone selling an empty scale model box on ebay. Not a complete kit or anything, just an empty box. Is there a collector's market out there for empty scale model boxes? I know GWH and I think Trumpeter includes small posters of the box art with their kits, but still....$16 for an empty box?

There are cases for it, I think for either collectors or for antique dealers who have good kits with crappy boxes.

A couple years ago I scored on Ebay a vintage kit of an early 70's Ford pickup, which I did as Uncle Jesse's ride from the Dukes of Hazzard. I was amazed at how well-preserved it was; it was like it had been preserved in a time warp. Even had its sales receipt, dated 18 Jan 1975 for $2.70 (still have it with the built model). 

When it was finished, I just couldn't bring myself to toss it in the trash...like I said it still looked brand-new, 40 years later. No fading, no wear at all! So on a hunch I tried it on Ebay and got a ton of bids. Can't remember what it went for, but I was surprised. Guy who got it said he had the kit with a trashed box...meant to ask if he was a collector or a dealer.

If there is some type of kickass aviation artwork on the box top i can understand, but that one right there i can not understand why anyone would want.

I will fold flat my old Hasegawa box tops and put them in albums because they have such mesmerizing artworks on them. Not the least bit ashamed to

admit that. Some times i drool at the bigger scale box tops and here is one i am considering as a diorama backdrop for the same types as depicted :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasegawa-Hobby-kits-1-48-Ki44-II-ko-Shoki-Tojo-85th-Flight-Regiment-09137-Used-/172518654672?hash=item282ae9c2d0:g:KOIAAOSw9GhYmN-P

Of course the kit is also included..

I've sold empty boxes to collectors over the years. When the word "collection" enters into play, logic tends to fly out the window. The best I ever did with model boxes was a FROG DC-7 box, which was in pretty good shape. Camera boxes were a much better payoff. I used to work in a camera store in the 80s and kept the boxes customers didn't want. We'd pack them up  whenever we moved, much to my wife's annoyance, but in the early 90s, I took them to a camera swap and sold them off at $5.00 to $20.00 each. People with a pristine older camera wanted a good quality box to go with it. I took my wife out to  a couple nice dinners on what I made. She was much happier with the idea at that point!
Providing a product for what people want never fails to make somebody money.

Alvis 3.1

The first time I read this thread, I didn't look at the link. I just read the few posts, and didn't have a comment to make.

But, now that I have clicked on the link,,,,,,I found out that I am "Rich!, Rich, I tell ya!!" Lol, okay, so maybe not rich, but here is the deal with me.

I buy for the plastic, most of the time, and except in rare cases, I don't even care about the decals. I do keep the models in their boxes,,,,,,and as it turns out, I have Four of that exact same box of T-38A (really F-5B plastic) in my stash, along with an equal number of the Starfix releases. (some guy "ruined me" by releasing a modern decal sheet)

I had no idea that something that "new" was now sought after by collectors.

Vintage boxes I can see...but not something like that. I've bought a few old Monogram kits, just for the boxes. I have a display of them on the wall in my TV room. The kits I'll then bag up and sell or give to the kids next door.

i'm one of those guys that likes my boxes in pristine condition.. i dunno why, it's more of a collector mentality i guess.

the kits in my stash are all mint, and the ones that i buy from people online tend to come looking like they have been left out in the rain or shoved in the basement somewhere.

i just figure i'll cut and keep the boxtops when i'm done the kit.. but until then, i want everything to look like the day i bought them.