I have been having trouble getting large decals to conform.  I have used micro sol and Mr. Softener to little effect.  It works areas which are lightly raised, but doesn't with areas such as the demarkation between the rudder and vertical stabilizer in the picture below.  I do not apply the softener underneath the decal, but apply several (maybe 4 or 5?) coats over it and press with a paint brush to get it to bend into the crease.  I am able to get it into the crease but it does not stay and rises as it dries as can be seen in the pic below.  The top 1/4 of the crease did conform.  Does anyone have any ideas?  A more aggressive decal softener?  I have also read where people have used future underneath the decal.  It supposedly sucks the in before it dried.  I have tried this in the past with smaller decals but you need to work fast as the future ends up sticky like glue and you are not able to reposition.

IMG_1459.jpg

For hard stuff like this that doesn't want to conform to the surfaces, use Walther's Solvaset, but go easy with that stuff and give it several minutes to work before applying anymore as it can easily attack the gloss coat.

4 hours ago, dsahling said:

For hard stuff like this that doesn't want to conform to the surfaces, use Walther's Solvaset, but go easy with that stuff and give it several minutes to work before applying anymore as it can easily attack the gloss coat.

I was thinking about Solvaset, but was unsure about it.  I thought Mr. Softer was more aggressive.  Maybe I will try it.

It would also help to prick a couple of holes with a sharp pin.  It will let the air escape and allow a bit of decal sol to flow under the decal, making it more pliant.

For larger complex decals I use hairdryer. Blow the hot air over the decal (but don't overdo it of course) and then just press decal into the plastic part and it will conform to any shape. I blow for about 5-10seconds and then press with a paper tissue and it works.

Two of my "hairdryer" projects

mig29-20.jpg

s_f16diana_25.jpg

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, Crazy Snap Captain said:

Run an X-acto knife down the panel lines and then add more solvent. Works a treat.

Agree, what he said.

On 5/22/2017 at 8:02 PM, dsahling said:

Found this out the hard way

Edited by adamitri
Spelling
On 5/29/2017 at 2:10 PM, habu2 said:

You're using warm water when soaking the decal right ?

Yes I am using warm water.  I put just one coat of Solvaset on the decal and it softened it up pretty quickly.  I was hoping for a little more gradual action.