Tamiya 1/48 F-14A Tomcat VF-84

I'm a slow builder and a bit slow to the game on this one.  But I finally finished my Tamiya 1/48 F-14A.  As others have said, it's a gem to build.  Mine is OOB except...no really, it's totally OOB.

I have always been slightly uneasy about clean Tomcats, but this gull gray over white just doesn't get that dirty.  I found one picture of a VF-84 F-14A on page 19 of the Colors and Markings book (don't think I can put it here due to copy right) though that showed a pretty dirty bird.  So I used this as my guide to allow this to be as dirty as reasonable for this scheme.  I've got another one that will be a TPS Jolly Rogers bird that will get the full treatment.

I've also never been happy with out of the bottle gloss gull grays.  They match the paint chip well, but don't seem to match photos well.  So I mixed my own from Vallejo and am pretty happy with results.  Just like photos, with slight changes in lighting (basically white balance), it takes on a bit of a blue gray or yellow gray look.

So here are the pictures.  As always, comments for future improvement are welcome and thanks for looking!

04_zpsvfbvamnb.jpg

03_zpsglalxl8v.jpg

02_zpssb3bltsp.jpg

06_zpsu8vsojnl.jpg

05_zps73pvznwx.jpg

01_zpsf74qlete.jpg

09_zps61zcbyp7.jpg

07_zpsy4hloujn.jpg

08_zpsth57msza.jpg

10_zpsbdd52sdx.jpg

12_zpsd03ivw6j.jpg

11_zpsz9ekgrkb.jpg