I've seen a ton of great material here about spray guns and brushes.... And have watched Paul's videos.  I mostly airbrush models and smallish crafts.... But do find myself using the brushes on several kid's projects as well (two boys).  I want to add a spray gun to my air brush arsenal to lay down base coats, finishes and just have a more consistent larger area coverage spray.  Based on all that I've read I have narrowed down the choice to the Iwata RG3 and the Eclipse G5.  I have a Sparmax 620 so I believe I can handle either (but not the 1mm RG3... Would have to stay with the 6mm).  Wondering if anyone has experience with one or both of these.  I do know that the G5 can shoot a round or fan pattern.... The RG3 does best mainly in round.   Not really sure how important the fan pattern would be .

I have an Iwata HP-TH, with a 0.5mm nozzle. It's great for all-over coats like primer, base (only) color, and clear. I greatly prefer the fan pattern; turns out I've used it in all but a couple of instances. 

While this does not address the two that you mentioned, you might also consider getting a Grex TG-3 or TG-5 depending on your needs. I got the TG-3 recently with the fan tip conversion kit. It is very well made and comfortable to use. The fan tip can be used in a horizontal or vertical manner.

And I can tell you from personal experience that Grex has SUPERB customer service!!

HTH

Bob

No experience with those two brushes, but I will say, if you're going to buy an Iwata, buy it from Japan.  It will be MUCH cheaper than US sources - and up to 1/3 the price of the equivalent Grex.

Thanks for all of the input so far.  I mainly have Iwata and Badger products.... have never used a Grex but will definitely look that up.  I also had not considered the HP-TH.... will have to look into that.   I'm still fairly new to this but really love what I can accomplish as I get the hand of airbrushing. My modeling projects and small crafts are definitely coming alive.  I had landed on Those two spray gums based predominantly on Paul's videos and overall customer reviews.  Sounds like there may be other options.  I'm also surprised to see how much more expensive the G5 seems to be I comlarison to the RG3.  All that said.... is hate to "miss" a fan pattern if that is important in general.  I had never considered buying Iwata direct so I will have to look into that as well.

Wow.  Great link and video.  First of all.... a majority of what I paint is approx the size of the models they used in the video. More than ever it seems having a broader spraying tool is a huge benefit.  That said..... I was definitely leaning towards the .5mm models in whatever I chose (as opposed to a smaller room size which would be somewhat duplicative to my normal airbrushed).  It was interesting to see the video and have then recommend the .3mm for those projects.  That has me a bit confused.

Not much significant info but the Gregs guy seems to turn up at a lot of shows in the Southeast US. I have tried his wares several times but I'm still an Iwata fan.

Definitely look for an AB from Japan if you decide on Iwate as you'll pay a fraction of the price and get things that don't come  with the brushes in the US.

Gunze also sell Iwata brushes but with their logo and also less money.

Cheers, Christian 

As mentioned above, I use the larger 0.5mm nozzle with the fan cap for primer, base colors, and clear coats. Even on 1/144 aircraft!

I use a 0.3mm nozzle for everything else.

I like my Iwata airbrushes !  I would not shy away from the Gunze models though . The parts are interchangeable should you need one.

Once you know the exact model identification , just Google , look on Ebay and Amazon .  It does t seem to be a scientific thing but retailers will appear on any of those places but are not necessarily always there when you do a search .

Compare prices to get a feel for it.  I have always had good service out of Japan . No complaints except that the time varies at the point of entry in the US. , making the posting unpredictable .

Do read the info on the airbrush , sometimes  similar items seem to get mixed in. Especially on Ebay.

Cheers, Christian 

4 hours ago, Chris L said:

I would not shy away from the Gunze models though . The parts are interchangeable should you need one.

Good point.  Gunze's PS290 is basically an HP-TH, minus the air valve under the front.  

As for where to buy...  HLJ, Lucky Model, eBay, Amazon (most of the vendors on Amazon are from Japan)

HLJ is a good place to start looking to get the idea of the price .

As I remember , Lucky has at least some airbrushes but frankly for the last 2-3 years, whatever I seek at Lucky's it out of stock and 2-3 weeks restock . This 2-3 weeks seems to have no bearing on real life and never gets updated as the months roll by.

The fact that I have not bought any of mine through name hobby shops that I frequent means that there are clearly  better deals out there . 

You're right the Gunze does not have the mac valve which means nothing to me . ( thus far )

Regards, Christian

Not to further muddy the waters, but consider the Iwata LPH-50 if you have a compressor with sufficient CFM to run it.  I've got the 0.6mm model and love it.  I spray 1/35 armor and 1/72 planes.  It's a bit of overkill for the smaller planes in 1/72, but perfect for 1/35 armor and larger 1/72 models.

I looked at the LPH-50 as well.  I've got a Sparmax 620.  It's got a 2 liter tank.... Basically 1.2CFM.  I think the LPH-50 is too much gun.  Based on reviews and manufacturer info I only think the G series and RG3 (.6mm) will work wth my compressor.  All that said.... Considering the HP-TH as well given all the above correspondence.  I have been able to now find some direct Japanese models.  Still not sure what sprayer to get though.

10 hours ago, Robert12 said:

I looked at the LPH-50 as well.  I've got a Sparmax 620.  It's got a 2 liter tank.... Basically 1.2CFM.  I think the LPH-50 is too much gun.  Based on reviews and manufacturer info I only think the G series and RG3 (.6mm) will work wth my compressor.  All that said.... Considering the HP-TH as well given all the above correspondence.  I have been able to now find some direct Japanese models.  Still not sure what sprayer to get though.

I'd go for the RG3 or the G5--better to have a dedicated instrument that does one thing really well instead of a jack-of-all-trades, master of none.  I also was tempted by a fan-pattern cap for my Grex Tritium, but spray guns with a fan pattern produce a lot less overspray than airbrushes using a fan cap.  That's what sold me.

Great feedback!!  Ultimately based on all of this info I think the idea of sticking with one of these two sprayguns is the way to go.  The broad spray is really the reason I need them so I should focus on the specific tools geared towards that.  Ultimately the price/value equation on the RG3 is substantially stronger than the Eclipse G3.  My only concern is I have heard from many of you that the fan spray component is really beneficial.  Both have this as an option but based on Paul's videos it feels like the RG3 may be inconsistent/underwhelming in this mode as opposed to its excellent performance on the round pattern mode.  The Eclipse can do both very well due to its additional adjustments (for a lot more money through).

The only RG-3 you should be considering is the round pattern ... the fan pattern version is a cobble just like any fan cap conversion ...

The Eclipse G-3 is too small, you won't be able to get enough paint through the tip ... You want either the G5 or G6

Paul

Sorry Paul.  I meant to say the G5.  Typo.  I've seen your videos and they are amazing and a big help. That's how I realized I needed a spray gun to really fulfill what I was missing.  I have an Eclipse HO-CS which I use for most of my work.  Also have a Badger patriot and anthem.  I started with Badger but have grown to love my Iwata.  In any case.... I've been looking for something to provide my base layers, generalnfinishing and something to give me more consistent broad coverage. After doing research and looking at your videos  it became clear to me that I needed a Sparta gun like the RG3.  After watching them and getting all the advice on this thread.... I've definitely narrowed it down to the G5 or the RG3.  The RG3  is also a more economical choice.  My only hold back is wether or not I will need the fan pattern or not.  I've never really used one so not sure what I would be missing out on.  But a proper fan this seems to get strong reviews.  

One last question.  Leaning towards the RG3.  Looking to get a moisture trap and regulater at the gun as well.  Also looks like I'll need an Iwata connector from 1/4 to 1/8 to work with my Iwata hoses.  Based on videos and reviews.... seems like it's a good line of defense even if you have a regulator and moisture trap at the tank.... which I do on my Soarmax.  Also.... I'd go with the .6mm.  Paul, you had mentioned the 1mm is the least redundant.... bit I fear my tc620.... while great, may struggle.  I think there will be zero issues with a .6mm.  Hoping that still will spray a broad enough pattern for me.  If anyone has an RG3 with a 1mm needle and a airbrush compressor with a small tank.... and it works, let me know.

thanks for everyone's help!!!

IMG_4394_zpsqpfigwex.jpg

This is the setup you want, the RG-3L-2 with the PC-51 cup.

You have to be careful on EBay however, there are A LOT of knock-offs. This gun and cup, which belong to a good friend of mine Duane " BUZZ " Lockwood, were purchased from the following vendor back in 2011. His EBay ID's are tamo71 and High5Japan, he has two seller accounts.

His websites are http://www.rubylane.com/shop/Japan and http://www.YourKanji.com.

His email is fromJapan4U@gmail.com

My friend Buzz does very through research before he buys anything and said this guy was excellent to do business with. Buzz is also a professional modeler.

IMG_4381_zps3ghzkjoi.jpg

Here is my compressor and no issues using the Iwata with it.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Steve

I've purchased from a number of different Japanese vendors and never had a problem with a "Knock-Off". If it has the Iwata hologram label on in it ... it's real.  I usually look to see that the vendor is advertising that it's genuine Iwata.   In fact, I've had better luck from Japan than I've had from some of the vendors here in the US, where at times, I've received knock-off parts ... always look for parts in genuine Iwata packaging with the hologram.

Paul