LF: 1/48 Hasegawa P-38L Decals (Putt Putt -M-a-r-u-)

I'm looking for the "Putt Putt ****" decal from the Hasegawa 1/48th Scale P-38L, "Geronimo II" Kit Number Jt-2 (circa 1993).  The kit only has one however, photos of the actual aircraft shows the same marking on both sides of the aircraft.  I have several other decal sheets with PPM - however, the Hasegawa kit markings are correct for the version of PPM I have completed - just need to get the same markings on the right side . . . Thanks to anyone that is able to assist!  Willing to pay for shipping, trade other decal sheets (go fish) or send detail photos of P-38s in exchange.  Rip VW

Wow - that was a 2013 release and from what I see on the decal set above - they got the majority of the markings right for both PPM3 and PPM5.  Thanks Larry!!  I started the Jt-2 kit in 1994 and completed the majority of the assemblies by1995.  Then for a various number of "Life" reasons, it sat in an uncompleted state for over two decades.  I started it back up over Christmas 2016 (I'm recently retired - now I have time) and was completely unaware of the limited edition kit in 2013. 

My father was at Tacloban and remembers Colonel MacDonald as well as Putt Putt ****.  Although dad arrived at the 475th a week after McGuire was killed - he remembered seeing Pudgy V sitting out at the end of the airfield all by itself.  I wish he had a camera back then - the photos he could have gotten would have been awesome.  I've completed detailed photographic studies of each of McGuire's and MacDonald's aircraft with the biggest problem being that most of the photos were taken with Orthochromatic film - greatly distorting the colors and resulting in many mis-interpretations of the markings on those aircraft over the intervening years.  The biggest sniggle I see with this sheet is that PPM5 actually had olive drab anti-glare panels with only the black side panels ahead of the cockpit with outlines in yellow. 

So much for the verbose reply - do you happen to have this kit available - or even just part of the decal sheet?  The model is complete - with the exception of the Putt Putt **** decal for the right side of the nose.  (I even noted that Hasegawa got the bare-metal propeller tip color right (Decal 74) - they were red and not yellow after they stripped the front faces of PPM5's blades!

Anyway - I guess it's back to e-bay as I suspect you do not have this kit in your stash.

Many thanks for highlighting this one for me!!

- Rip -

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, Robert 1 said:

Hi Larry

I just might be able to Help you out with your quest for the "PUTT PUTT ****" Decals. You can get a hold of me at  bubbha53@hotmail.com

Regards

Bob in CANADA

Bob,

I am not the person who was asking about the decals. It was RipVW54.

Larry

Many thanks guys - However, I completed PPM over the summer with the decals provided by ReccePhreak.  I was also working on McGuire's Pudgy IV at the same time - both are now complete - photos attached (I hope).  No fooling - these two project kits were started in 1995 and banked for 20 years - what a difference in product availability and references for us modeler's in the past 20 years - Enjoy the photos!!

- Rip VW -

(Well . . . . I would have attached a few photos of the completed models but the 0.1MB restriction prevents me from down sizing the photos small enough to add to this post, Anyway . .  Thanks again guys!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2017 at 11:44 AM, RipVW54 said:

Many thanks guys - However, I completed PPM over the summer with the decals provided by ReccePhreak.  I was also working on McGuire's Pudgy IV at the same time - both are now complete - photos attached (I hope).  No fooling - these two project kits were started in 1995 and banked for 20 years - what a difference in product availability and references for us modeler's in the past 20 years - Enjoy the photos!!

- Rip VW -

(Well . . . . I would have attached a few photos of the completed models but the 0.1MB restriction prevents me from down sizing the photos small enough to add to this post, Anyway . .  Thanks again guys!)

I have try very hard to find decals for the McGuire's Pudgy IV P-38, no luck so far; are those of you 1/48?

Byron

On 12/21/2017 at 1:12 PM, ByronLeal said:

Hi! may I ask why do you put asterisk after the putt putt?

Byron

Witless forum software, assuming that it's a racist slur for an Asian person.

Not sure what it'd make of the many Japanese ships with that word in their name, or any of the other dozen or more uses for the word which aren't anything of the sort.

Shane

Actually had to go back and check my original input.  Since I really suck at typing - I normally prepare inputs in MS Word first then paste the item up after spell and content check.  My only guess is that Shane's input is the most likely cause for -m-a-r-u- being censored . . . . . (Let's see what happens now).

For Byron - Pudgy IV markings are from Super Scale sheet 48-415, released sometime around 1993.  Be aware that the aircraft is incorrectly identified as a P-38L.  It is in fact a P-38J based upon the timing of aircraft transitions for Major McGuire at 22 victories in his biography and photographic evidence contained on page 317, Appendix E of Possum, Clover & Hades (Schiffer Military History, 1993) captioned "Full view of PUDGY IV with 22 victories in Biak".  Note that the left wing does not have the leading edge landing light which is a distinction between J and L model P-38s.  In fact, on Page 318 of the same book is an excellent photo of Pudgy V clearly showing the leading edge landing light, a hallmark of the J Model Lightning.  (I hope this long-winded explanation is helpful.)

And . . . .  I think I Finally found a way to really down-size the photos - I just hope you can see them!

PPM V_2.jpg

Pudgy IV_2.jpg

• RipVW54 changed the title to LF: 1/48 Hasegawa P-38L Decals (Putt Putt -M-a-r-u-)