Ok....guys...we've GOT to have a model of this thing! It's been called the most potent weapon system in the USAF arsenal! Freakin awesome....

72nd or 48th....I don't care. Gotta have it. Thoughts?

Edited by pminer

Actually, there is no AC-130J kit in either 1/72 or 1/48. Italeri has done the 1/72 AC-130A and AMT/Esci did the 1/72 AC-130U. I don't know if anyone has done a complete resin conversion to do an AC-130J. The J models have the new engines with the six-bladed props and latest electronic and weapons fit. If you MUST HAVE an AC-130J kit, you'll have quite a project on your hands getting there.

Arma does 1/48 resin for the C-130, and they're currently running a sale on packages for the C-130 E/H, C-130 J, KC-130J they also have 1/72 resin C-130 bits. I've got other parts from them, and they're top-notch!

Not sure what Arma is missing for an AC-130J beyond the weapons. But, Master might have the weapons you need...

I've ordered direct from both; there are also US distributors.

13 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

....I think it's an awesome prop in the Jet Forum.... :rofl::cheers: 

But, but those props are driven by JET engines!?!!! And I realize we are splitting large rabbits!!

While I have no idea how they're gonna aim the thing.  The whole reasoning behind the pylon turn was that it was inherently more accurate for aerial gunnery on a stationary target.

Theoretically, if you had one, you could kitbash an Italeri C-130J with the AMT AC-130U and get close, I think.  The sensors seem to be mostly similar, it's just the Bushmaster you'd have to source.

It's PAST Time we have an accurate C-130J....any variant. But the AC-130J is wicked mean. It's by far the meanest looking AC-130 yet. The Italeri version C-130J annoys me. There's just to many inaccuracies to be a satisfying build....especially the props and the prop hubs. I'm thinking that a manufacturer could sell thousands worldwide...if updated and accurate.

19 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

...The whole reasoning behind the pylon turn was that it was inherently more accurate for aerial gunnery on a stationary target.

I thought the main reason of that turn is that you can provide fire all the time. Other aircraft have to approach, do the attack-run, pull-up, turn around and re-attack. The Gunship always stays on target...

HAJO

The AC-130J has the light weight electric powered 105mm gun mounted in the left troop  door like all the other AC-130's that carried it. The 30mm is up front out the left side as well. So yes the pylon turn will still be a player. The other munitions come off the outboard wing hard points and through the floor in the back of the aircraft. I have a buddy in the AC-J program at Hurlburt Field.