What is best value kit to depict 1/48 ANG F-51D?

As the title suggests, I am wondering what is "best value" readily available kit to depict 1/48 ANG F-51D?  By "best value," I mean the cheapest kit (<$15-$20) with the most correct features or easily corrected features without resorting to aftermarket doo-dads. I am not a P-51 aficianado, and don't have any P-51 books, just Francillon's Aerograph 2, which has mostly small photos.

As a baseline, I think I need the Aeroproducts un-cuffed prop and possibly a Dallas hood, but am unsure of the exhaust stacks or other details that may vary from kit to kit. 

I currently have as options: Monogram, Otaki/ARII/AMT, Hasegawa, & Tamiya P-51D kits. 

I am currently not considering the following kits: Airfix, Hawk/Italeri/Testors, Hobbycraft, ICM, Revell (original), & Meng. 

Appreciate your collective input.

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Fix kit list, fix prop type

@Slartibartfast,  Thank you, I reversed the prop manufacturers by mistake.  You are right, I do need the uncuffed prop.  I researched some Hasegawa & Tamiya kit reviews and have pretty much determined that the Hasegawa kit is my first choice as it offers both cuffed & uncuffed props and both regular and Dallas hoods.  However, I can find a Revell kit for ~$15 and a Hasegawa kit for ~$21-$25.  Should I go ahead for the Hasegawa kit?

Edited by Dutch

@Slartibartfast,  Wait!  Now I am confused.  I have read an IPMS Hasegawa kit review and a Hyperscale Hasegawa kit review, and both mention that the Hamilton-Standard prop was cuffed, while the Aeroproducts prop was uncuffed. After a little more digging, I found a Britmodeller review which mentions that Hamilton-Standard had both cuffed and uncuffed props. Even Wikipedia P-51 article mentions the three props, stating that most F-51Ds in service during the 1950s were fitted with the uncuffed HS prop. So, I am now educated (at least a little).  Anyway, I am pretty much decided on the Hasegawa kit for having all the right parts OOTB: prop, correct drop tanks, and two options for hoods. R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Correct previous mistakes.

Curious why you aren't considering the upcoming Airfix? At <$27 list, it should be an outstanding kit based on their recent releases...

Clearly though, Airfix is planned for September; everything else is available now...

@eraucubsfan, Good question.  I have read a review of the Tamiya P-51D kit that says that the canopy is a two piece affair with the clear separate from the sliding frame.  Most builders recommend using a vacuform replacement, just the extra step I was hoping to avoid.  I would prefer the whole canopy be one piece.  Secondly, every review I have seen shows the Tamiya kit with HS cuffed props. The Hasegawa reviews mention both cuffed and uncuffed props and 75 gal metal tanks, though I will probably build mine "clean."  I see that the Tamiya #61044 F-51D Korean War kit comes with a new parts tree for HS uncuffed prop and rockets and bombs.  I might consider it, but the canopy still turns me off.

@Dutch  Yes the canopy is a two piece affair, but I didn't mind it at all. Makes painting/masking it a lot easier, in my opinion.  I can confirm because I just built one a year or so ago, it does come with the un-cuffed propellers,  different canopies, along with rockets etc... 

Well, I see on evilBay that Tamiya #61044 F51D Korean War kit is going for ~$25-$27.  On Amazon, it is selling for under $20, or the same price as the Hasegawa kit.  So I might just get the Tamiya kit this weekend.

I saw a Tamiya F-51D on eBay that was at $10.00 or so. Of course a couple of bids could change that… 

If you're in the US, I see that recently they've been selling for somewhere in the $10-15 range. There was one that went for $25.00, but I have no idea why when most the others are going for less than half of that. :dontknow:

Look for an ICM P-51D or a P-51K. They are Tamiya knock offs & they tend to be cheaper. The kits include both shrouded and unshrouded exhausts and both types of Hamilton Standard props, cuffed & uncuffed. Both types of props were found in ANG units though the uncuffed tended to be a little more numerous in use. (The uncuffed HS prop has squared off tips. The Aeroproducts prop - which you don't want for most ANG Mustangs - was cuffless but had pointed prop tips.) Canopies are a crap shoot. All types were in use during this time frame.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/allies/previews/icm/48154.htm

- David

Edited by DavidRezabek

@Scooby,  Hmm.. yes the Meng kit is very tempting.  It is "glueless" (i.e. snap & screw together), right?  It is also the most expensive quarter inch scale Mustang on the market right now.  That was the main reason for not including it in the list.  I have a line on a Tamiya #61044 F-51D Korean War Mustang (with all the right parts) for under $20, so will go that route.  Thanks to everyone for their input.  R/  Dutch