Tailboom-antenna on a HH-1N?

I´m currently working on a USMC HH-1N "Rescue Bird". I noticed when looking at pictures that a couple of these Hueys had a tailboom-antenna "zigzagging" on both sides of the boom. However, all pictures I have showing this are NAVY-birds.

Do the MARINES have this antenna as well? Or was it something that was present in a specific time period?

HAJO

I think it's cause by the time the Marines used the H-1 for that mission the HF antenna used on the fleet H-1's was the towel bar and not the tailboom antenna. Would have to do some digging to see what aircraft have been used in that role for the different bases over time. West Coast is HH-1N and East Coast is HH-46.

Thank you!

I just did a google-search and came up with numerous USMC-birds, none having the tail-antenna. So, that clarifies it for me, I think.

https://www.google.de/search?q=hh-1n&safe=off&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI9P-n1o3UAhWCuBQKHQ0GA4oQ_AUICigB&biw=1024&bih=639

But the pictures are showing no towel bar either...

HAJO

The first pic has it but it's in white, most I have seen are black. Maybe I am misidentifying the antenna. The bar in front the rotor cowling on the cabin roof.

This bird had both...but it is also Navy.

http://www.helis.com/database/cn/6586/

My only other guess is we didn't use that radio past the 80's, again I am not sure when we started using HH-1N for SAR work.

As with most things I would find a photo and build to that, then you can't be wrong. I think only MCAS Yuma has a HH-1N and all others have been retired or not a separate SAR unit on base. 

4 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

I´m currently working on a USMC HH-1N "Rescue Bird". I noticed when looking at pictures that a couple of these Hueys had a tailboom-antenna "zigzagging" on both sides of the boom. However, all pictures I have showing this are NAVY-birds.

Do the MARINES have this antenna as well? Or was it something that was present in a specific time period?

HAJO

Grüß Gott HAJO,

Here are a couple of the slides in my collection - These show the Marines did use the 'Long Line' antenna on the tail boom of their Hueys whether short body or the N series. I don't have any USMC SAR UH-1Ns slides in my collection but Ray likely has the goods.

Stewart Airport, NY 21 JUL 1979 HMM 361 - This N series has the towel rack antenna just in front of the dog house but still sports a Long Line antenna running zig-zag along the tail boom.

34865445166_a170d7d587_b.jpg

El Toro, CA MCAS UH-1E HML 261 MAY 1974

34865385036_40ed858fcc_b.jpg

Servus

Ah, now I got it! The towel bar antenna is in front of the engine... I was somehow thinking it would be along the tail... Some Hueys do have that. I think mostly 412s...

HAJO

Hajo, the "clothesline" antenna on the tailboom is an HF antenna. Many Army Huey's also had these. The "towel rack" antenna on the roof is an FM homing antenna. The towel rack replaced the "whisker" antenna's on the nose of early Huey's and Chinooks.

Mig